win 70 300 wsm

C

CMaier

i had talked about building one of these, and ran into a deal
at a weekend gun show. Talk to me about hunting loads, shooting steel
at medium distance and just your 2 cents worth.
1/10 twist, 24", clean sharp edges on the lands.
bullet wiegth ?? powder choices ??

The 2 I have, (1 custom and 1 stock winny), both hunting rigs, like 165 Accubonds and Ballistic tips over a healthy dose of RL 17 lit with Wolf LRM primers. I have up to this point used only Win brass, just got me some Nosler brass to try next season, so I'll see how it does.

I really like the round and it has taken quite a few antelope, whitetail and elk with impressive results.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I realize it is tuff for old people like you , but sometimes we can learn from others.
The best way is to ask questions, but i assume you know it all and have the inability to learn anything new.
I have a nice pc of ballistic software, over 25 reloading books,
but instead of trying every possible combination,
i thought i would ask those that have been there done that.

Silly me.

You would be well advised to buy a reloading manual....

i realize it is tuff for old people like you , but sometimes we can learn from others.
The best way is to ask questions, but i assume you know it all and have the inability to learn anything new.
I have a nice pc of ballistic software, over 25 reloading books,
but instead of trying every possible combination,
i thought i would ask those that have been there done that.

Silly me.

with 25 reloading mauals at hand...... And a bc software program.....you are well advised......

I actually did some searching on this forum and got poor results.
Maybe i should do the same on the 600/1000 forum.
I know i have seen it discussed in the past.

CMaier: Come on I'll help you I'm a 300 WSM guy! What bullet are you going to use? I use Norma brass fed 210 primers H-4350 powder and 210 VLD's I'm at 62.5 gr's! I don't expect you will get there with a stock Win. mod.70. But with that weight bullet you can start at 58.5 gr. and work your way up in half grain increments. My 2 Cents

Joe Salt

Thanks joe,
My shooting buddy has some 210's,
so i may just give them a try.
I assume you are in a custom rifle...what oal are you at ?
I can go about 3.000 with a 175 berger on the lands(and feeds from the mag).

If there in the lands that's were you want to start. That way I see it you only have to go one way.Back

Joe Salt

Joe,
did you every try /look at the reloader powders ?
I did number crunching and 17 and 22 both looked good.

No tried IMR-7828ssc with 230gr. I only get to try maybe one different powder a year. Now I've taken a friend under my wing, don't look good for me sneaking away for a few day.

Joe Salt

No tried IMR-7828ssc with 230gr. I only get to try maybe one different powder a year. Now I've taken a friend under my wing, don't look good for me sneaking away for a few day.

Joe Salt
I think the wing flew away. H4350,is what much match shooters are shooting. Some guys are using R17 but I never shot it. The match shooters keep coming back to H4350 because it is accurate. You can't get as much velocity but it shoots good. If you want more velocity 4007ssc or 7828ssc will get you more with decent accuracy. If you Are not throated out far probaby 180 or 190 will work good. I like Berger hunting VLD's for target,and hunting. Matt

Thanks Matt.
Not sure what i am going to do,
but i do not want to reinvent the wheel.
I keep looking at it as a lighter, smaller 30'06 on steroids.

Thanks Matt.
Not sure what i am going to do,
but i do not want to reinvent the wheel.
I keep looking at it as a lighter, smaller 30'06 on steroids.
Performance is about equal to the other magnums. If you shoot 7828SSC and a 230 Berger you can reach 3000. Now the gun has to have freebore for that bullet. That is as much as the big magnums. Go to 6BR and look at the top of the 6.5 to 30 forum. It should have loads for WSM. I never looked what is there. I just told,you from experience. I would imagine if you have enough freebore the 215 Berger would be a good bullet. I know one guy that shot them with H4831SC and it was good. It also is a good long range bullet for deer and whitetails. The accuracy of a good WSM can be outstanding. It holds a lot of records in 1000 yard BR. Matt

Small progress report.
Bad throat, fouls like a copper mine.
With 208's and 210s it has about 1"+ at 100.( rl-19)
But 6 shots takes two plus days to remove the copper from the throat.
Have shot 6's on multiple days, and spent the next couple cleaning.
So i re-cut the throat with a throater...only time will tell...30-60 mph winds suck!

Back