Which caliber, must be a seven?

R

rolf

It`s time for my next project but this time I`ve decided to collect all the components before I start.:eek: The last one is still not finished and believe me, it has taken a while.

Over to my questions, this one will be based on a Remington Bdl action, surprise:), and the barrel is already bought. A Shilen SS SM in .284 with a 1-9" twist. This will be some kind of tactical/long range type of rifle, it will be used for hunting mostly, on game a bit smaller then your white tails, and some long range paper punching.
I miss a seven millimeter but which one would you go for? The one I have thought the most of is the 7 wsm, do you have any other suggestions?
Second, would you go for a long or short action? At first I was sure of the SA but now I`m not that sure, considering the look of the wsm case. I`m afraid that when it comes to the heavier bullets, 150-175 grains, the bullet will take up to much powder space and the extra length make very little difference when you work the bolt. And the same goes for the overall weight, this won`t be a light gun anyway so action length doesn`t count.
So please, help me out here.

//Rolf

7mm-08

You get the accuracy of a 308 with better ballistics. Short action works fine. For game a shade smaller than Whitetails the Nosler 120 Ballistic tip will work great. I killed a bunch of whitetails with this load in a 7/08 with a 9 twist.

Consider the 284. Excellent 6.5-284 brass from Lapua can be fire-formed back to the original. More case capacity than the 7-08 but still the medium action and the 308 boltface.

First of all, I forgot to tell you that I already have a 7mm-08 rem. The rifle is a Remington Seven with a McMillan stock. It`s from Remingtons custom shop.
It`s light and really accurate.

How about the other two, I`m under the impression that they are very similar, right or wrong? They both sound like good choises but I think I would like something with a little more "ooommppph!!" You know, speed!

Rolf

rolf,
I have a 284 win on a long Rem, functions well thru action. Yes if you shoot long heavy bullets, you will need to throat it some what differently than
for shorter hunting bullets
Wayne

First of all, I forgot to tell you that I already have a 7mm-08 rem. The rifle is a Remington Seven with a McMillan stock. It`s from Remingtons custom shop.
It`s light and really accurate.

How about the other two, I`m under the impression that they are very similar, right or wrong? They both sound like good choises but I think I would like something with a little more "ooommppph!!" You know, speed!

Rolf

Nosler claims 3150 fps for a 140 gr from the 280AI. The claims I`ve heard are it does very close to what ever the 7mm Rem Mag does. Nice thing about AI chambers is you can shoot everyday 280 in it if needed.
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=3&s=148

I'm building a very similar rifle as to what you're describing as we speak.

I'm using a Shilen SM SS 1:9" #4. Action is a stainless 700 Long Action with old trigger. My stock (on order) is a B&C Carbelite. I prefer no aluminum block and to bed my own rifles. For optics, I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with target (tactical if you will) knobs. I've got three die set from Redding and I'm ordering some Nosler brass.

Oh, and what you're asking for, its a .280 Remington Ackley Improved. :D

Ditto on the 280 AI. I own two of them. The slow barrel does 3150 fps with a 140 Nosler partition and the fast barrel shoots the 140 partition at 3234 fps. Both shoot 1/2" to 5/8" groups when I do my part. Besides that, the cartridge just looks awesome.

Mdl. 7 action

Using your Mdl.7 action you're limited in AOL if you plan on useing the magazine (2.85).You have a 7-08 so I would look at a smaller case on the same bolt head size.Try the 7mm IHMSA .You could use 6.5 Creedmoore brass necked up an blown out, trimmed, 250 Savage brass nkd.up blown out trimmed,or 300 Savage Nkd.down and formed,Actually any 308 based cart. would work.It's a very efficient cart. amazingly close to the 7-08 with less powder 38deg.shoulder,min. taper Check it out it's been around a long time:D

Must be a seven

I have a 700 pacnor 7-08Ai.Very efficent.Don't have to burn a pound of powder to get it going.120 noslers and it is a little hot rod,and 120's in a 7-08 is very accurate.One more thing,it doesn't beat you to death when you shoot it.I also use308 lapua brass necked down and turned so for all practical purpose it is a tight neck.just my take.Lynn

I would consider the straight .284, 7 SAUM, 7WSM / 7-300WSM. I shoot the straight 7WSM on a short action now,and have a new F-Class Open swap barrel rig coming in .284 and 7WSM (both with 30" barrels). All three will run teh 180 Bergers or Sierra 175s to excess of 2,800 fps (the SAUM and WSM to 2,900+)

JeffVN

Back