Which action for "custom" rifle?

Hi Gang:

I need advice as to which action to use for my next "custom" rifle.

I have narrowed it down to the following choices:

Savage action $230-$400.00.

Remington 700 $350.00

Winchester 70 new model $350.00.

Oh yes, the new rifle will be a 25-06.

Any suggestions as to which action would be the best choice?

TIA,

Zeke

I believe that most folks will say the M-700. There are certain advantages that the Savage has though. I love the 25-06 and have had great luck on quite a few deer using 100gr. Ballistic Tips. The 25-06 is quite hard on barrels though, so make sure you take your time between shots. For the same reason I would choose a cut rifled barrel over a button barrel.

Buy a custom and cry once. Unless you are doing the work yourself and don't care about resale value,these are an excellent value..http://www.lawtonriflebarrels.com/7000 series.htm
Don't forget to add in the cost of getting any of the factory actions up to near par with a custom. By the time you get the Remmy trued, plus the $350 for the action itself, your not talking about much more money at all. The custom will outsell a trued factory action rifle about 2-1.---Mike Ezell

Custom for what purpose?

Zeke,
What action you select depends a lot on what you wish to accomplish. Is this going to be a bench only gun, say for informal target shooting and prairie dogs? If so then the single shot, RBLP Savage LRPV action may have the advantage, however if this is a deer, elk or dangerous game rifle I'd never trust any Savage as a repeater.

The Remington 700 will get the nod from me and the majority of folks that have spent their money on custom rifles because the Remingtons have the most aftermarket parts available, are easy to modify and after customizing the function, accuracy and looks are well known. There are Remington "clones" that offer good value if you intend to spend money tighten up a factory action, however you should talk to the builder about this first. That said I still have a soft spot for the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester if you are going to stock it with a piece of high grade wood, fine cut checkering and nice oil finish.

I'm saying this because you should decide what you expect out of the rifle (this rifle) because no one rifle, custom or other otherwise will do it all. Good luck, customs are addictive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Action

Zeke,

Let us know what you're thinking the gun is for, that will make the decision making easier. What is a rough idea of the budget? Is this a gun you'll keep forever or one that you may sell someday?

Adrian

Back