What's a great gun oil ?

Many years ago, we had a few problem firearms... one of them being a Browning BT-99. Oil them one day and find fine rust just a couple days later. I must have tried virtually everything. Someone gave me what I think was LPS-1. It was a light colored and very thin oil that had great creep. We mixed it with Mobil 1 20 wt synthetic and it worked perfect.

I'm all out of that particular concoction and am looking for an alternative.

Ours are stored in a climate controlled environment and each safe has a golden rod. We're pretty fond of Rig gun grease for wiping down the exteriors and kroil for the bores and this seems to work well for most of them, but not all.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, The short answer to look into the CRC, LPS product lines. Each of these lines have done extensive testing at rigid specifications regarding the amount of time a corosion inhibitor will be good for in each case.
The basic rule is the more protection you want will require the most time to remove.
Again for brevityIE,oil to cosmolene.
Suggestions contact MSC Industrial and look for these products.
CRC SP-350 Heavy duty Indoor protection
CRC SP-400 Extreme Duty Outdoor corrosion protection.
LPS 3 Premier Rust inhibitor.
If these do not meet your satisfaction you could start with the Mil Specifications like MIL-PRF-16173E(SH) specifications and go from here.
Centerfire

Many years ago, we had a few problem firearms... one of them being a Browning BT-99. Oil them one day and find fine rust just a couple days later. I must have tried virtually everything. Someone gave me what I think was LPS-1. It was a light colored and very thin oil that had great creep. We mixed it with Mobil 1 20 wt synthetic and it worked perfect.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin
I've spent a lot of time with Browning shotguns and they are probably the worst to rust of any guns I shoot. I've used RemOil for the last 20 years or so. I can leave a gun wiped down with RemOil for 2-3 years and it is still protected. I still shoot a BT-99 and a BT-99 Plus and carry a small spray can of RemOil in their cases with some patching material in a sandwich bag. Shooting trap after dark, I have had the BT-99 barrel bores rust before the next morning if it did not get cleaned just as soon as I got home so after the shoot I run a patch with RemOil through the bore before I put it in its case.

Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG)

I have used RIG for many years and never had a problem. I've had some rifles in storage for 10+ years with one application of RIG--no trace of rust. For best protection use grease, not oil.

Petroleum jelly is a very effective rust preventative barrier coating. It is frequently used as a control sample in salt spray testing. There are preparations that are better (Rig is one of them) but they are also more difficult to remove. PJ is also very good for softening leather that's been hardened to cracking range by age. Now you know how to treat that hippo hide doctor's bag that was in your grandmothers attic for 75 years.

Boeing developed a rust inhibitor which is now on the market as T-9 Bioshield. Being a woodworker with several cast iron machine tops, planes and chisels to protect, I found T-9 as the best. Trade magazines have done head to head tests between competing products under different conditions, including salt water, and T-9 comes out on top.
It is a spray liquid which is then wiped off with a clean rag. There is no detectable film. The metal appears dry.
I haven't tried it on guns, but it keeps my basement shop rust free.

for rust prevention , i use "the inhibitor". ive had recievers left in the white for years in a humid basement with a light film of this stuff, and it keeps rust away.

Since Flitz wax worked so well on my waterfowl guns I started using it on the outside of all my guns. It's worked very well on "in the white" chrome moly barrels and actions for a long time now. I called Browning one time about the rusting shotgun problem and they said to use a heavier oil,as in automotive type 30 weight. That would make a gun you could be proud of coated in 30 weight,wonder how long the wood last.

Give Marvel Mystery Oil a try. It's a good penetrating oil, smell good, & is cheap. I use it to clean shotgun barrels & haven't had any problems with rust.
Regards,
Ron

Boeing developed a rust inhibitor which is now on the market as T-9 Bioshield. Being a woodworker with several cast iron machine tops, planes and chisels to protect, I found T-9 as the best. Trade magazines have done head to head tests between competing products under different conditions, including salt water, and T-9 comes out on top.
It is a spray liquid which is then wiped off with a clean rag. There is no detectable film. The metal appears dry.
I haven't tried it on guns, but it keeps my basement shop rust free.

I believe it is called "Boeshield" and it does work if you can get it. Break Free works very well but you have to remember to shake it up.

Lots oil and or grease that may work and may gum up the works.

I switched to Flitz wax a couple of years ago, because I use my rifles and shotguns often. I just got home from 65 days in the field hunting chukar, huns and quail and wax is the only answer.

BTW just keep going from metal to wood or your fiberglass stock when using wax. Most any car wax will also work.

Back