What went wrong...the answer.

Hi Gang:

I could not post a reply to my original post for some reason so I will try to answer the question here.

The problem was that the extractor on each gun would not slip over the rim when attempting to single load the chamber without feeding the shell from the magazine. I thought that I remembered the I could do this with both of these rifles but I was wrong. They will feed well from the magazine!

I checked my shooting records and it has been 16 years since I have fired a rifle! I am starting over again with rifles after a stint that consisted of three bird dogs and many shot guns.

I was not embarrassed about my mistake but I have been busy getting all of the rifle equipment out of storage and getting it together. I am grateful to have a group of people like you to turn to for help!

Now that I am back, I will be posting questions that I did not find an answer to when I left the rifle field. Hang on to your hats.

Oh yes Dennis, I am a former resident of Terrace, B.C. and long each day for a chance to return to Beautiful B.C. I envy you!

Thanks to all who took time to answer my question!

Sincerely,

Zeke

I always put enough of a bevel on the front of the extractor so it will slip over the rim. Makes single loading easy. Jon

I have an Interarms Mark X action that has the same problem. It has given me fits in a deer blind several times. For some reason the ejector won't slip over the rim.

I have an Interarms Mark X action that has the same problem. It has given me fits in a deer blind several times. For some reason the ejector won't slip over the rim.

They aren't meant to. They and the military Mausers are controlled round actions. They are designed for the ammo to slide under the extractor as it comes UP and out of the magazine and to hold or control the round as it is fed into the chamber. As Jon said above, it can be beveled to slip over the rim though.--Mike Ezell

Mauser type of extractors.

Hi Mike et al:

I thought that all Mausers and Mauser clones, M-70 pre 64, Springfields etc. were designed with a bevel on the front of the extractor hook to enable the extractor to slip over the cartridge rim to facilitate single loading.

Like I said, it has been 16 years since I saw a rifle so my mind may be playing tricks on me. One of the tune-up jobs that a gunsmith would do to these actions was to stone a smooth bevel on the extractor hook to guarantee that the extractor would easily slip over the cartridge rim. After looking at all of my Mauser clones, I can see a bevel on the extractor from the factory. Now where did I store my stone?

Zeke

Zeke,

I was shown that if a Mauser extrractor slipped off a rim extracting, you could give it a second try by holding the rifle under the magazine with the left hand & pushing on the extractor bar midpoint between the two "pillars" while closing the bolt with the right hand.

Otherwise, as has been said, you need to reprofile both the bevel & the shape of the extractor hook if you want it to slip past the extractor rim. The 10X Czech & Parker Hale M84 single shot actions had the extractor profiled in that manner.

John

Thanks John

Hi John:

Thanks for the reminder of this trick. I learned this trick circa. 1962 but had forgotten it since, The other tricks that I learned was how to R&R the extractor from the bolt with out any tools. This too was done by pressing down between the two pillars and sliding the extractor forward off of the bolt. To replace the extractor, do the same thing but slide the extractor on to the bolt body. Needless to say, I do not have the hand strength to do this anymore!

Oh yes, at the same time I learned how to R&R the follower and spring without removing the stock. There were a lot of tricks to learn about the Mauser 98 action that made it a very good battle rifle. It was, is, a great design for its intended purpose.

Sincerely,

Zeke

I am glad it is as simple as it is...

I always altered those extractors using a Dremel with a stone ground to the same diameter as the rear of the case for the bevel and a stone ground to the same diameter as the extractor groove for the inner 'lip' centered on the location of a case in the boltface... being careful not to grind too much so the case is not held with tension against the far side of the bolt face. Polish the angle under the claw to allow a case at an angle to feed well.

Back