What true benchrest gunsmith(s) have the tooling to true up a Browning X-Bolt action?

V

Voted4Trump

I have a Browning X-bolt Eclipse Target Rifle with a factory 28 inch , 8 twist barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor. I am trying to find a competent benchrest gunsmith who has the tooling to true up an X-bolt action and index the bore to precisely 12 O'clock, plus install a target trigger. NOTE: Please don't suggest a gunsmith that does A-bolt actions in hope he may also do X-bolt actions. Thanks.

"Turing" an action generally entails insuring the action's threads are truly straight with the bolt way and action face, insuring the lugs have good contact with the action abutments, and insuring the bolt face is truly square with the bolt's body.

Do you have reason to believe that the surfaces on the Browning do not run true?

Also, my question about "indexing" a Factory Barrel would be, how will you determine what is up and down? The bores on Factory Barrels tend to wonder all over the place through the entire length.Determining what is up and down might be the flip of a coin.

Also, indexing would entail facing the tenon face and then correcting the headspace. The reamer will follow the original bore. How will the Gunsmith get all of this to run truly straight.

Last edited:
In answer to the question that was asked, "What true benchrest gunsmith has the tooling to true up a Browning X-bolt action?". Not to be smart alecky, but my guess is none unless a universal type jig like the Gre-Tan will work on it. And even then, getting anyone to agree to work on it to true it up, is highly unlikely.

Back