What have I missed?

sailor

Hello all. I shot a few matches several years ago, but did not really get going in benchrest. Now I am retired and ready to try again. My location is south
Alabama (close to Fiddler). I still have my bags, flags and other gear but will be looking for a gun or two. What developements have I missed over the last 3 years? Thanks

Mike

ARA- Mike

Alabama is ARA country and the top 4 shooters of the ARA A-line shoot in Alabama and 9 of the Top 20 shoot there also , Nobody dominates and we welcome you back in 2013 to Oneonta & Birmingham! Fiddler plays with us so hitch a ride ! P.S. Fiddler is retired also, got himself a Hoveround that is faster than most folks on their Walkers with tennis balls on the front stantions, You know Fid !

Last edited:
Good Luck to a fellow Alabama shooter. Hope you get off to a good start. Maybe one day when I get to come back home I will be able to shoot with some of you folks in Birmingham. been trying to get my cousin interested in benchrest shooting. Anybody know Johny Garrison. Owns Garrison Steel Erectors. garrisone.

Better barrels, stocks, actions, and more knoledgable smiths. On the downside, all the choices mean it's more difficult, also, internet forums have a higher BS content.

Hello all. I shot a few matches several years ago, but did not really get going in benchrest. Now I am retired and ready to try again. My location is south
Alabama (close to Fiddler). I still have my bags, flags and other gear but will be looking for a gun or two. What developements have I missed over the last 3 years? Thanks

Mike

Not much, would be my answer. I came back two years ago and I couldn't see that much had changed in 15 or 16 years, in terms of what it takes to win. Equipment has improved but the rifle I shot back then would be competative with the rifles of today. Perhaps ammo was better. I use to be able to find more good lots of ammo, more easily it seems. Of course a lad's memory will look more favorably to the past, most often, I think.

Not missed much at all mate, we tried our First Female Prime Minister Down here & as i understand it your new President is about 3 years old too, both proved the same thing, sometimes the tried and trusted old methods still work :p

everything is basically the same as 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years ago..

I am new to benchrest, getting my first ppc built.. Panda action, Krieger HV 13.5 twists barrel and 1.5oz jewel trigger all in a Kelbly Klub stock.

looking at the guns at the range some of them are 20-30 years old and still winning matches, some of the actions are home made by local gun smiths and have set local records competing with Bat, Nesika and other American actions..

my ppc will be ready in about 3-4 weeks, it's already built but the paintwork is still left.. can't wait to see if my ppc shoots as well or better than the home made actions some are competing with.

benchrest is mostly wind reading, everyone shoots ppc, everyone fireforms .220 Russian, everyone uses some type of custom action and everyone uses bullets around 68gr.

and it was that way 20 years ago..

the barrels might be better, but I think that is the only thing that has developed in the past 20 years regarding benchrest... maybe the bullets are also better...

Back