What do you think of the 6.5-08 (260 Rem)

AZ_Win52

I have heard it is a good round for up to 1000 yds plus it can be used as a varmint round. Supposed to be easier on barrels than the 6.5 X 284. Just wondering what its target/hunting potential is

A cartridge which makes lots of sense

That's what I think of the .260. I have and have shot out a 6.5/284 on a Rem 700 SA, it will become a .260. The 6.5 as a caliber is extremely versitile, and accurate with adequate power for light game. The ballistic programs show how much better it is when used in real world ranges. If I knew that I'd have t shoot 1K plus... I'd shoot something bigger yet.

The 260 Rem is similar in performance to the 6.5x55 which has been around as a military and hunting cartridge for many years. What has made it popular recently is the development of moderately heavy low drag bullets like the Lapua 123 and 139 grain Scenar, and the Sierra 123 and 140 grain Matchkings.

Where does the 260 Rem fit in? A 280 Rem will shoot further with similar wind deflection and deliver more energy but with more recoil. A 243 Rem will shoot over 1000 yards, ( a couple of hundred yards less than the 260 Rem) with similar wind deflection with less recoil and with less delivered energy. Pick one which gives the performance you desire. You buy range, delivered energy, and reduced wind deflection at the price of recoil, muzzle blast and reduced barrel life.

I have two firearms in 260 Rem. One is a Remington XP100 pistol. With a 15.8" barrel it shoots Lapua 123 gn Scenars to over 1000 yards supersonic. The other is a DPMS LR-260, a 24" barrel AR-10 variant which shoots the 139 gn Scenars to over 1400 yards supersonic. Both have comfortable recoil and low wind deflection.

I enjoy shooting 22LR and .50 BMG rifles too. There is no "best cartridge". Certainly some cartridges are more appropriate than others for a given task. The 260 Rem is one of many good ones to choose from.

I have owned and hunted with the 6.5-08, the 6.5-284 and the 6.5-06. As a hunting round my nod goes to the 6.5-06. It is very accurate and flatter shooting than the other two. With 120 gr bullets, I struggled to get 2900 fps from the 6.5-08 and 3000 fps with the 6.5-284, both with 24" barrels. The 6.5-06 shoots the 120 Barnes TSX bullet at 3130 fps and groups three shots in 1/2-5/8" at 100 yards. It is similar in trajectory to my 280 AI's shooting 140 gr bullets and my 270 Win shooting 130 gr bullets.
As a target and silhouette round, I think the 6.5-08 is a hands down winner. I use the 6.5-08 reamer rather than the 260 Rem reamer because the dimensions were optimized by David Tubbs as a target round. I have built many silhouette rifles for customers that have taken many regional and national championships. The way most shooters formed the brass for the 6.5-08 was to run the excellent quality Lapua 243 Win brass over a 6.5 expander mandrel and start shooting. On the Tubbs designed chamber, if 308 is necked down, it must be neck turned to proper clearances. Tim Kurreck used a Panda actioned Hart barreled 6.5-08 the year he doubled as national champ in both standard and hunter class silhouette.

In the past couple of years, the 260 Rem has become my "favorite" round. Accurate in a sporter / light recoil / good ballistics / light recoil. An interesting exercise is use the ballistics comparison feature on the Reminton website. An example .... the 260 "accutip" (120gr) compares very well to the 280 accutip (140gr) out to 500 yds (which is as far as the stats are provided).

When I put together my F class rifles, I went with my 6.5 mystic which is my version of the 260AI.

Out of a 30" match barrel, I can push a 139gr Lapua to 2900fps with superb brass life and accuracy. This is pretty much the same velocity many 6.5-284 shooters use cause that is where these bullets like it the most.

I have just recently taken this rig out to 2400yds so there is little issue reaching out a very long ways.

So far, one of my rifles has digested 1800rds and is still printing in the 2's and 3's at 300m. I expect to get at least 2500rds out of it before needing a set back. That is almost double what 6.5-284 shooters are suggesting they get.

The 260R/6.5-08 is a wonderful rd too and if feeding from a mag, better then the improved versions. The only downside is that with the sloping shoulders, you can't run pressures as high without lots of case stretching. That does limit top end velocity. However, so much depends on your barrel that it might be a tie.

For a LR varmint rds, I would lean to the Mystic/AI versions. You don't need to run full throttle and brass life will be beyond your barrel's life. For a competition rd, I am not alone in enjoying success at extended distances.

Jerry

Back