What bushing for lt 32 ?

chazgreen

chazgreen
Am shooting a .262 neck and have been noodling around with the LT 32 powder. Anyone have any suggestions about what bushing might give the best results? .257, .258, etc...........Thanks/Chaz

I would think that .001 larger than you use for 133 would be a good place to start, assuming that you subscribe to the theory that 133 likes quite a bit of neck tension.

I hope this isn't considered 'stealing a thread' but I gotta ask this question. I could be totally wrong on how I figure out my neck tension - which I would like to be corrected.

In order to get an accurate neck tension, when someone says they have a 262 neck and use a 258 bushing don't they also need to state how much clearance they turn their necks to? For example; if one has a .262 neck - turns their neck for an over bullet measurement of .260 (.002 clearance) and use a .258 bushing - that would give .002 neck tension. So a person (with the same 262 neck) who turns their neck for .003 clearance could still get the .002 neck tension by using a .257. Just curious if I am missing something here. Thanks

Stanley

Yes, you are correct. No, you are not missing something. In little experimenting (nothing compared to Lou's work) I found no advantage in the level of neck tension that I tend to associate with 133, neither did I find any advantage to unusually light neck tension. I usually like to seat into the lands, and the ability to do so directly relates to neck tension, BUT given the difference in how this powder builds pressure, I probably should do some start from scratch with no assumptions testing, including seating depth. With LT 32 I have see shooters do well with a little jump, so I may be traveling in those uncharted (for me) waters soon. What I thought was more or less universal, after years with 133, may turn out to be less so than I had previously assumed.

Am shooting a .262 neck and have been noodling around with the LT 32 powder. Anyone have any suggestions about what bushing might give the best results? .257, .258, etc...........Thanks/Chaz

I use a .257 because it gives me .003" neck tension. Depending on how much you turn your brass, and then the Outside Diameter measurement at the bullet's pressure ring, you might start with .001" tension. Work your way tighter with different bushings, then watch the target for the desired results.

My numbers are: .262" neck chamber, .260" at the pressure ring with a seated bullet, .257" bushing = bullets going almost through the same hole, when I do my part correctly. :)

I have a loaded round of .260 in my .262 neck. With N133 I used a .256 bushing but found that this was probably not best for the LT-32. First, I tried a .2585 bushing, but there was not quite enough tension with it. Now, like Lou I use a .258 bushing with the bullets I use. Good shooting....James

How much neck tension you have or need is also related to how long the throat is, and what ogive bullet you are shooting. If you don't have much bullet in the case, you want a tighter bushing, but you also reach a point where a tighter bushing doesn't give any more neck tension, as the brass only has so much strength.

Jim Carstensen

Back