West Central Florida ARA Match Results

Dave S

NRA Benefactor Member
West Central Florida held it's monthly 4 target match today. We had warm (83*) and Sunny weather, with our friend the wind conbtributing with 8-10 mph winds, with gusts to 15 mph. Following are the results..

Dave Smith-----------2115.00 agg---------12 pts.--------2127.00 agg w/points
Jeff Kirk---------------1943.75---------------8-------------1951.75
Charles Segeren------1376.25---------------4-------------1380.25

Couple of our shooters were unable to attend..

WCF's next match is May 8, 2013..

Dave Smith-----MD
West Central Florida

Just where is the West Central Florida ARA matches held?

Is it at the Manatee range?

I have a Winter home in Venice, along with a couple of Anschutz's stored there. Would like to get some more info on the rifles and matches.

I have a Winter home in Venice, along with a couple of Anschutz's stored there. Would like to get some more info on the rifles and matches.

Joe:

No, WCF holds it ARA matches at the Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater, Florida.. If you would like to call me and discuss shooting matches, you can call me anytime after 6 P.M. at 941-748-8815..

Dave

Hi Joe , I shoot ARA and IR 50/50 and will be moving to Venice . This year I will be there in July or August, as soon as the house is built. Next year I will be a snowbird. I also will be looking for a place to shoot in Florida.. My phone # is 718-967-8536

Joe T.

Joe and Rottie
We have 3 matches at the Manatee each month. We shoot iron sight matches every 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month and we also have a IR5050 match on the 4th Sunday of each month. Just so happens that we are having an iron sight match this Sunday due to a schedule change. Most shooters ( around 9) shoot Anschutz or Win 52. We use Anschutz aperture style sights. We shoot out to 100 yards at 6 NRA 100 yard rimfire targets, with 10 shots in each target. It is a great time. We start sign up at 8AM and the match starts at 9AM. Come on out Sunday and see how things work. Doug

Thanks guys.

Thanks Doug and Dave. Have shot at the Antelope range a couple of times when we had a place in Belleair. Haven't shot at the Manatee range but want to get down to the centerfire match there one of these years. Attempting to make the move from centerfire benchrest to rimfire, but still don't undrestand the disciplines yet. Back and forth between Michigan and Venice, but spend most of the year in Michigan. Sometimes work gets in the way of the important stuff.

Joe T. Sarasota County has a decent range off of Laurel Dr. east of I-75 called Knights Trail. 100-yard about ten benches, plus 50-yard and handgun ranges; run by the county. Sarasota Trap and Skeet club is right next store. (Yes, I have dabbled in those black arts a couple of times, too.) Mantee is about 60 miles from Venice between Bradenton and Wachula. The Clearwater Antelope range is about 80 miles; private but public access. It's in the glide path to the Clearwater Coast Guard airport.

Last edited:
Joe Krupa,
Looks like you're about an hour and 45 minutes from Hillsdale Rifle Club where we shoot ARA. You should come give it a try this summer. They shoot every 1st Sunday of the month except for September.

John M. Carper

Carp, I have been trying to get Joe to come to a match for 2 years. Do think he is scared??? I really think that if he goes rimfire he won't want to shoot CF anymore!:)

Mike

Joe Krupa,
Looks like you're about an hour and 45 minutes from Hillsdale Rifle Club where we shoot ARA. You should come give it a try this summer. They shoot every 1st Sunday of the month except for September.

John M. Carper

Hi Carp, Can you give me some directions. Clossing should be July or Aug.

Joe T.

Joe T., (Torturro?)
I'm sorry. I got off topic of Florida and was informing Joe Krupa about his home state of Michigan. It would of been a great winter to spend in Florida this year.

John M. Carper

Carp, I have been trying to get Joe to come to a match for 2 years. Do think he is scared??? I really think that if he goes rimfire he won't want to shoot CF anymore!:)

Mike

Good grief, he'd be terrified of egg shooting...lol
dv

You guys are right....

... I get terrified everytime I sit behind a rifle at a bench.

I would just like to understand the rifles first and what is the difference between ARA and BR-50. I have a lot of equipment and what I am told is great ammo. But, I guess that I would like to know just how I am going to get beat before I show up and actually get beat.

Worthington has been trying to get me to a match for two years, but the centerfire stuff kind of keeps taking some priority.

I would think that if we could get someone to come down to WWCCA in Plymouth (Michigan) and show a few of us the game(s) informally, I think we could start to get a nucleus of guys who could get rimfire going. After I shoot a few targets and try and figure this black art out, then I could come to Hillsdale (and the other matches) and get whupped on properly.

... I get terrified everytime I sit behind a rifle at a bench.

I would just like to understand the rifles first and what is the difference between ARA and BR-50. I have a lot of equipment and what I am told is great ammo. But, I guess that I would like to know just how I am going to get beat before I show up and actually get beat.

Worthington has been trying to get me to a match for two years, but the centerfire stuff kind of keeps taking some priority.

I would think that if we could get someone to come down to WWCCA in Plymouth (Michigan) and show a few of us the game(s) informally, I think we could start to get a nucleus of guys who could get rimfire going. After I shoot a few targets and try and figure this black art out, then I could come to Hillsdale (and the other matches) and get whupped on properly.

Joe, do you know Chuck Lama?? I believe he's from the Plymouth area, and he shot with us at Hilldale last Sunday..BTW, BR 50 is no more..ARA uses the BR format but 25 bulls instead of 50 shot in 20 minutes...Reference American Rimfire Assoc. website for rules. http://www.americanrimfire.com/
dv

Don't know Chuck Lama...

... but I may try and look him up. Is the ARA shot with scopes from a rest ? Any other restrictions (scope power, stock restrictions)?

BTW. my youngest son lives just North of Ruskin in Apollo Beach. He teaches chemistry and physics at the Sarasota Military Academy.

... but I may try and look him up. Is the ARA shot with scopes from a rest ? Any other restrictions (scope power, stock restrictions)?

BTW. my youngest son lives just North of Ruskin in Apollo Beach. He teaches chemistry and physics at the Sarasota Military Academy.

Joe:

I spend the winters in Boca and started shooting USBR this winter at Hollywood. I would like to stay active this summer. It would nice to get a group going at Western Wayne. I believe that Washtenaw and, possibly, Howell, have active groups going, so there is activity in our area. I'm driving back to West Bloomfield in 2 or 3 weeks so lets get in touch when we get back. I'm also planning on getting my centerfire gun out of mothballs also this summer.

Larry Hoffman

Joe Krupa,
ARA is shot with the "truest" form of unlimited rimfire bench rest. Put an 80X March on the gun if you like. No weight limits either. If you and your two buddies can lift the gun and carry it to the bench it will fit within the rules. Even rail guns (though I have never seen one) are legal. You can have a 6 inch forearm if you like (most use 3"). But you cannot attach the gun to the bench, cannot reload your own ammo or fool with the factory lube. Worst edge scoring. It is run what you brung to the fullest. Shoot a tricked out custom or your favorite squirrel gun in the same one and only class. Most folks use a one-piece rest but it is not required.

Carp

Joe give me a call and maybe we can arrange a date and I could load up my stuff and head your way! We need to promote ARA anyway we can. I am retired and can come during the week or on Sunday;other than the first Sunday which is Hillsdale. You could bring a couple of guys here if that would work better.

Mike Worthingotn
benchrest47@yahoo.com
231-796-5794

50 Yd Rimfire Benchrest WWCCA

Joe, Larry...this is Chuck aka Bolero from WWCCA, a long time member, I shoot 50yd 22LR Benchrest, ARA, PSL, IR5050 and USBR targets.

I also have been to Hillsdale a couple of times, 15 to 20 mph winds and switchy, you have to be really good at reading the wind to do well there.
They are a great bunch of guys, John Carper, John Prince, Mike Worthington, Dick Volk, and others...all very helpful.

I am knowledgable regards 50yd RFBR, the equipment and guns required to be competitive.

I have always been a shotgunner, Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand... just been doing 50yd RFBR a couple years now.

It would be great to have 50yd BR matches at WWCCA, our 200 yd range 20 benches and range house and all other accomadations would create a huge draw for the 50yd Rimfire shooters...

Movable 50yd target stands could be used at the 200yd range or we could use the 50yd range, 10 benches and covered.

The biggest problem would be to find a Match Director to run the events and Match scheduling...

I can be reached at 734 420 1918 or ctlama@yahoo.com or at WWCCA...

Chuck

Last edited:
Joe, Larry...this is Chuck aka Bolero from WWCCA, a long time member, I shoot 50yd 22LR Benchrest, ARA, PSL, IR5050 and USBR targets.

I also have been to Hillsdale a couple of times, 15 to 20 mph winds and switchy, you have to be really good at reading the wind to do well there.
They are a great bunch of guys, John Carper, John Prince, Mike Worthington, Dick Volk, and others...all very helpful.

I am knowledgable regards 50yd RFBR, the equipment and guns required to be competitive.

I have always been a shotgunner, Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand... just been doing 50yd RFBR a couple years now.

It would be great to have 50yd BR matches at WWCCA, our 200 yd range 20 benches and range house and all other accomadations would create a huge draw for the 50yd Rimfire shooters...

Movable 50yd target stands could be used at the 200yd range or we could use the 50yd range, 10 benches and covered.

The biggest problem would be to find a Match Director to run the events and Match scheduling...

I can be reached at 734 420 1918 or ctlama@yahoo.com or at WWCCA...

Chuck

Chuck, I will call you later today. There is no reason that 2 or 3 of us could not cooperate on running matches. Matches could probably best be scheduled in the afternoons when the sun would not be in our faces. I agree that the 200 yard range would make a premier bench range, as it has for centerfire. The facility is awesome. Centerfire matches bring in some of the best shooters in the country and there is no reason that rimfire could not also. The advantage of the 50 yard range is that you can forget about wind. As for attendance, I have watched the matches in S.E. Florida go from an informal 4 or 5 shooters to 20 or more formally shooting USBR in just 3 years. This year we put in permanent concrete benches, which we won't have to do at WWCCA. I think we can build a good nucleus this summer. As we age, the prone shooters, as I am, find it harder to get in position, and they, and I, look for a way to stay active in shooting.

Larry

50yd RFBR

Larry thanks for the response and interest, do not call today or tonight, I will be tied up...tomorrow or most any other morning or evening.

If we can get a group together we could shoot Outlaw matches to start, any target and use standard 4 or 6 card format.

If we became ARA offical we could get 15 or 20+ shooters to an event easily I suspect, however it would be difficult to schedule and not conflict with existing Club Match dates at Hillsdale, Holton, Mecosta, Wabash...

It would be fun to get together at WWCCA no matter what...

Chuck

Back