Weld recoil lug to Rem 700 action

Mram10

Looking to get advice from those that have done it. Want to make switch barrel that can stay in stock, yet twist barrels on hand tight on the fly. Seen it done and it was interesting. I have mig, but no tig. Considered small flush screw through lug, but would prefer making it one piece. Thanks

Note: aware of heat effects on action and tempering

I'll go out on a limb and vote against welding the lug.
If you really want to pursue this venture, consider this approach:

https://westtexordnance.com/switchlug/

I know some guys that have used this solution successfully. The fitting is a bit tedious but it seems to work.

Why do people say you shouldn’t weld a recoil lug to an action? It’s been done for years and can be done safely. I’m asking for advice on that, thank you. If you haven’t done it, fine, but please only give pointers on welding.

Why do people say you shouldn’t weld a recoil lug to an action? It’s been done for years and can be done safely. I’m asking for advice on that, thank you. If you haven’t done it, fine, but please only give pointers on welding.

Very well then. Don't do it with MIG. Not saying it can't be done safely, just suggesting that there are better options. Weld away if it makes you happy.

Looking to get advice from those that have done it. Want to make switch barrel that can stay in stock, yet twist barrels on hand tight on the fly. Seen it done and it was interesting. I have mig, but no tig. Considered small flush screw through lug, but would prefer making it one piece. Thanks

Note: aware of heat effects on action and tempering

If you are aware of the heat affects of the weld on the final RC harness of the action, then you know that the area where the actual weld puddle is will surpass the transformation range of most chrome moly Steels.

So let's look at the welding process that has the least amount of effect.

Submerged arc is out of the question for obvious reasons. Regular 7018 low-hi stick rod,(very small), would be good option in the hands of a skilled welder. Mig is the least satisfactory in my book, hydrogen embrittlement being the culprit in applications where the Steels have a relative high carbon and alloy content.

Which leaves TIG. In the hands of a skilled welder, TIG is but far the most desirable process when dealing with thin sections and alloy Steels. You get the smallest puddle combined with the ability to lay down extremely small beads. A lot, however, does depend on the craftsman doing the work.

If you fo decide to do this, I would at the minimum have the action trued after TIGing the lug in place, as warpage is present in any welding process.

Last edited:
Rem 700 receivers are made from an alloy very close to 4140 and hardened to about RC38. You can google welding on that material and find plenty of advice from pros on the welding forums.

RWO

All of this professional advice, good as it is is completely missing the point!

Remington is BANKRUPT not because they suck, but because of (unfounded IMO) litigatory mayhem.

I spoke with Bill Ruger back when they tried to drag him under. He escaped, barely.

I won't even chamber a 338 Lapua on an UN-WELDED bone-stock Weatherby 338-378 action because of the simple fact that it's a litigious world out there and Weatherby hasn't chosen to do the Lapua case.

Does it spec?

YES

It's smaller in every regard than the cases already sold by Weatherby.

I'm an 07FFL, licensed and legal to manufacture rifle actions and ammunition for sale....... and I wouldn't DREAM of touching a torch to a Rem700 unless I was committed to sawing it into pieces when I was done using it.

Is it unsafe???

NO!

Is it opening a door best left closed?

I guess y'all know where I stand.....

If you are aware of the heat affects of the weld on the final RC harness of the action, then you know that the area where the actual weld puddle is will surpass the transformation range of most chrome moly Steels.

So let's look at the welding process that has the least amount of effect.

Submerged arc is out of the question for obvious reasons. Regular 7018 low-hi stick rod,(very small), would be good option in the hands of a skilled welder. Mig is the least satisfactory in my book, hydrogen embrittlement being the culprit in applications where the Steels have a relative high carbon and alloy content.

Which leaves TIG. In the hands of a skilled welder, TIG is but far the most desirable process when dealing with thin sections and alloy Steels. You get the smallest puddle combined with the ability to lay down extremely small beads. A lot, however, does depend on the craftsman doing the work.

If you fo decide to do this, I would at the minimum have the action trued after TIGing the lug in place, as warpage is present in any welding process.

Now we’re talkin! Thank you for advice on said topic. Leaning toward tig.

Rem 700 receivers are made from an alloy very close to 4140 and hardened to about RC38. You can google welding on that material and find plenty of advice from pros on the welding forums.

RWO

Will do. Thank you

All of this professional advice, good as it is is completely missing the point!

Remington is BANKRUPT not because they suck, but because of (unfounded IMO) litigatory mayhem.

I spoke with Bill Ruger back when they tried to drag him under. He escaped, barely.

I won't even chamber a 338 Lapua on an UN-WELDED bone-stock Weatherby 338-378 action because of the simple fact that it's a litigious world out there and Weatherby hasn't chosen to do the Lapua case.

Does it spec?

YES

It's smaller in every regard than the cases already sold by Weatherby.

I'm an 07FFL, licensed and legal to manufacture rifle actions and ammunition for sale....... and I wouldn't DREAM of touching a torch to a Rem700 unless I was committed to sawing it into pieces when I was done using it.

Is it unsafe???

NO!

Is it opening a door best left closed?

I guess y'all know where I stand.....

Al, this is for personal use. I need another rifle ......
Also, I had no idea you actually did gunsmithing. I thought you were on your computer all day writing sarcastic comments toward otherwise peaceful forum members ?

Last edited:
Also, I had no idea you actually did gunsmithing. I thought you were on your computer all day writing sarcastic comments toward otherwise peaceful forum members ?

That explains a lot

The hardest thing in this world is learning who to trust, who to lissen to, who to valuable get information from.... basically who is and who isn't just blowing smoke.

Biblically this artform is called "discernment", secularly it's often referred to as "ability to judge character". Some are good at it, some aren't.

The fact that you picture me as a basement troll perty much says it all

" The hardest thing in this world is learning who to trust, who to lissen to, who to valuable get information from.... basically who is and who isn't just blowing smoke. "

Great advice and over the years I now have it narrowed down to a few. And none of it is based on their words but on their long term self earned knowledge which directly reflects to their unsurpassed quality of work.

That explains a lot

The hardest thing in this world is learning who to trust, who to lissen to, who to valuable get information from.... basically who is and who isn't just blowing smoke.

Biblically this artform is called "discernment", secularly it's often referred to as "ability to judge character". Some are good at it, some aren't.

The fact that you picture me as a basement troll perty much says it all

I never said “basement” :) I thought we were at the point in our online relationship that I could throw a “snowball” back at ya....

I never said “basement” :) I thought we were at the point in our online relationship that I could throw a “snowball” back at ya....

LOL

Sorry man...... evensies?

But IMO this brings up another very salient point re groups of people, rooms full of guys, discussion forums forums...."wherever 2 or 3 are gathered together"...... IF YOU HAVE A ROOM FULL OF BRIGHT PEOPLE, THERE WILL BE ARGUMENTS!!! ..... and this is GOOD, this is how advances are made.

"Flouncing" is an innernet term where folks's gets their pannies all up in a wad and LEAVE the room in a huff, slamming the door bitterly. It happens in real rooms too, but there they mainly call out "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and continue arguing.

But Ennyways, this is just my weird way of saying "thanks" for not flouncing. THANKS for saying what you think/feel, honestly.

I'm not a troll.

A butthead at times, often inadvertantly? YES

"overly passionate?" quite likely

wrong?---- often

"willing to be corrected?" ----- passionately so

And I simply cannot say enough about this forum (and others) as regards getting really GOOD information. All my life I've built networks, called guys who referred me to the guys considered "best of the best" in an effort to make solid "cry once" decisions..... and in the last 30yrs have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars based on my decision-making ability

And this forum has saved me many dollars, and radically changed my directions many times.

There is good information here...... differing views/opinions??? Of course.

But BRIGHT men and experience is here like nowhere else "In The World" (in best Jeremy Clarkson voice)

Double pin, like, welding it on? ?

Again, please give info on welding techniques. Tig seems to be the way, so I’ll continue on that path

Back