Weight system for the stock

Markhor

I recently bought a used 6PPC Bat action rifle that has a Scarbrough stock with a weight system.
Being new to the sport, can someone explain the merit of having this system? Currently I don't have the weights in the stock, should I put them in or leave it alone?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed the weights are used to help balance the gun and in some cases just add weight when going from LV to HV.
Last year my gun was found to be out of balance. A friend took the gun cut off the barrel and then used the piece cut in the butt to help balance it out.
Unfortunately that was the last match of the season but the gun seemed to shoot decidedly better.
Ill find out this weekend when I go back to practicing.
Best advice if your going to compete make sure you know what your total weight is, from there you can test and see what makes the gun shoot best.

Vern
I guess your rifle was way nose heavy? Did the heavy nose cause vertical or was is just not ridding and tracking like it should? Reason i ask, is that i pay a lot of attention to my rifle balance. I pin my rifle with my shoulder so i have to slide my rear bag forward farther than most would. The rear bag being farther forward takes a lot of weight off the back end. Because of that i really have to be careful how much weight i have up front. Lee

Lee it was both along with unexplained flyers.
It seemed to help all of the above.
Because of my stock design I dont seem to have enough space for the recoil and having the ability to either pin or completely push the rifle all the way up.
I am also going to try a smaller rear bag this weekend. I was using one of the big heavy DR Protektor rear bags.

Back