wanting to get an ar-15 setup for f-class

S

sourdough

ok heres my problem as i see it, any corrections will be gladly accepted.

i have a high rise j & t upper with a 24" krieger barrel 1-8 twist.
a jewel 2 stage trigger.
the scope is about 2" to 2.5" above the line of site.
a 36x weaver scope.
free floated hand guard and such.
1" spacer it on the butt stock.
now i have a cheek piece also on the butt stock.

i plan on shooting to off of a bipod with a rear bag to 600 yrds.
i was planning to use berger 75 gr vld's.
what else would ya'll suggest to help me get there with my set up???
i've never shot .223's to more than 300 yrds in the past.

Given that the scope is so high over the bore, some sort of level on your scope or the flat-top rail would be helpful.

A single-shot magazine will be *very* helpful... either a single-shot follower from Sinclair to fit in a standard magazine, or a solid BOB SLED from DC Tech.

Otherwise... nothing comes immediately to mind.

Good luck!

Monte

I use a small spirit level, epoxied to the back of the mount.

Attachments

• Spirit Level.JPG
    Spirit Level.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 918
Last edited by a moderator:
+1 nicely done; I'll be borrowing that basic idea for my .308 and .260.

JeffVN

i'm going to be shooting in T/R class, so a 260 is out, and i don't have a ar-10. so i guess i'll be shooting the ar if it's not windy and if the wind is blowing i have a 700 vls in .308 i'll use if it's windy. i've shoot highpower for a number of years but i'm getting to old to be holding up a rifle all day. still do pretty good prone and kneeling but standing is eating my lunch. so f-class looks like it's going to be interesting. i guess i could just sling up and use my highpower guns but they really wouldn't compete with the scoped rifles.

we have a modified F Class shoot at our local range. (500M) and AR shooters have done very well. We use 80g.SMKs seated in the lands. Use a single load mag, Bob sled, etc. as a 20 round mag touches the ground. Make sure your scope is far enough forward for prone. It is mainly about wind doping...

What about Long Range Prone

If position shooting is loosing it's zing, what about just going prone with your HP rifle. Then add scope for Any/Any. If that doesn't do it for you then you can add the bipod and rear rest and tackle the 1/2 MOA F-class targets. The smaller target really make F-Class challenging. It's really a wind reading game. So many options and sooooo little time.......

well on sunday went out and broke the barrel in. first group after bore sighting the rifle was just over 1/2". i was shooting hornaday's 53 gr. match hp. after about 25 rnds it settled down to about 3/8". so i guess i'm good to go with this rifle. now i need to figure out a load for some 75 gr a-max's. hope it shoots the 75's as well as the 53's.

Back