turn neck vs no turn neck

canuck

After much reading I decided I would like a 6x47 lapua. I have to order the reamer as the smith doesn't have it. So my question is should I go for a turn or no turn neck in this cartridge? Any tips on this cartridge would be greatly appreciated.

Canuck:

You can have both. Get a no-turn neck reamer that gives you .002 to .003 clearance on a loaded round. If you want to turn for .004 to .005 clearance, no problem. I have grown to love .004 clearance with .002 neck tension as that has worked in long range competition with every gun I have owned from 6mm to blown out 338s.

I am sure you will get other opinions, but I hope this helps a little.

Jim Hardy

Last edited:
I shoot the 6.5 x47Lapua with a no turn neck(.293) I originally thought I would give the necks a clean up turn to make the necks more concentric but never got around to doing it. With new brass, in a 600yd match, this gun won group against 64 shooters. For the first time, on May 7th I shot in a 1000yd match and this gun had a 99 with 3 xs and a group of 6.1". I don't plan on neck turning yet. Perhaps it will shoot better. If done correctly a clean up turn can't hurt. Your call!

Canuk, you might already have heard what you wanted, but how thick is your neck brass after sizing down?

I recommend a neck turn setup with the 6X47L because squeezing the necks down makes them more eccentric.

There was a thread a while back that described my process but I don't know where it went. Jim Hardy?? Is the old 6X47L thread still archived?

al

I don't even have the dies or anything yet. I just wanted to get the reamer ordered cause I expect I am going to have a wait.
Can anyone tell me what the neck diameter of a loaded round is with the 108 berger and what the throat would measure( approx) ?
thanks again for the input...

Back