Truing a Mod 70 Classic action

Worker

My Mod 70 classic in 270 WSM will produce MOA at 100 yds and that's about it. Its been glass bedded and a timney trigger. No action truing has been done. So if I had the action trued what ever that involves could I expect improvement in accuracy ? Any Gun smiths out there want the work ?

All you would need to do is install a quality barrel using a quality smith and I am sure it would shoot under 1/2 " often with no action work.

Gunsmiths

I think you will have a hard time finding a gunsmith here at BRC that will rebarred your Model 70 Classic.

PM me for more info and possibilities. I need to know what state you are in.

John S,

I hope you don't mind, I have attempted to contact you regarding this thread by PM and email. The email was a failure and I can get no confirmation that the PM has been sent. If you don't mind, I could use some info re: model 70 smiths also. My listed email should work, I'm not sure about the PMs as it has been a while since I have received any.

Thank you,

Brian Turnbull
Alamogordo, New Mexico

Fishing

Brian,

Thought we do a little fishing with my statement; "I think you will have a hard time finding a gunsmith here at BRC that will rebarred your Model 70 Classic"

So far no one has responded:)=

Stay tuned, I'll get you some information somehow.

John S

Contact

Brian,

You will be contacted by e-mail from a Model 70 Gunsmith out of Wisconsin.

BTW most really good Gunsmiths are set up to only do 700 type actions.

Lee out of Wisconsin seems to specialize in Model 70's.

John S

Thanks

Thanks John S,

Did you get the PMs that I attempted to send? My account shows no signs of any being sent. I know that I have sent some in the past that were received by another forum member.

We may be fishing in a "gar hole", I'm certain there are some very capable model 70 mechanics on this forum but don't know if any are willing.

M-70 smith

Hi Worker:

There used to be a guy by the name of Jim Cloward sp? In the Seattle area who was to be a good M-70 man. Perhaps someone on this site can give you the correct spelling and perhaps his phone number.

Good luck,

Zeke

I am surprised at the responses...

I don't think there is any great science in fitting a barrel to an old model 70 over any other bolt action. I am not talking about truing it... just installing a good barrel. It's no biggie and with a good barrel will shoot great. It isn't a Benchrest rifle. Thousands of Model 70's have been re-barreled by thousands of gunsmiths. It's common.

From a "trueing" standpoint, the only difference I can think of, is one has a flat bottom and the other is round. Any good gunsmith can deal with that. I have an action trueing fixture that works with either one equally well. --Mike Ezell

I have responded to some one named Lee

Hey if I don't have to true the action to install a BBL that would be super.I'm not rich but I want better then MOA. Dang at 200 yds its awful some of the time.Thanks every body for the help.

Model 70 Gunsmith

This man specializes and is setup for the Model 70's:

Lee Christianson

715-684-2587 (M-F, 7:30 - 4:00 pm central)

That telephone number would be in Baldwin, Wisconsin. About 60 miles East of Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN

Back