Trigger timing

M

Mousse

I've been building target rifles for 25+ yrs. and until recently, I've never heard about timing triggers. Could someone please explain what is involved in this procedure. Thanks in advance.
Mousse

My understanding is that involves making an adjustment to the cocking piece, or trigger hanger such that there is no cock on close, and the striker does not drop appreciably as the bolt handle is turned town. If there is some cock on close, one way to deal with that is to set the cocking piece up in a fixture and cut back the face that contacts the trigger sear. In short the hand off of the cocking piece from the bolt to the trigger is corrected.

There are a couple primary issues. Often being able to position the trigger somewhat fore or aft will allow a cleaner drop of the sear bar, which can sometimes drag on the firing pin as it initiates it's forward motion.
The second is to play with ignition by giving more strike if the trigger is set back.
Some actions have had trigger hangers with elliptical holes allowing sliding the trigger up a bit or back. Some use a system where if the hanger is mounted in one direction it's forward reverse it, it's back.
One of the centerfire action makers has three hangers you can play with.

On this trigger timing issue - is there any danger of damage to the trigger mechanism by dropping the cocking piece onto the sear or is it just a matter of eliminating the annoying SNAP when closing the bolt?
I would like to know before I start messing with my Coopers!

How About Asking this question - -

on the Gunsmithing Forum? Someone there who is actually doing this kind of work MAY answer, mebby not.

Pete

On this trigger timing issue - is there any danger of damage to the trigger mechanism by dropping the cocking piece onto the sear or is it just a matter of eliminating the annoying SNAP when closing the bolt?
I would like to know before I start messing with my Coopers!

What snap would you be referring to?

The snap occurs when rotating the bolt closed "hands off" the striker/firing pin load onto the trigger mechanism.

The snap occurs when rotating the bolt closed "hands off" the striker/firing pin load onto the trigger mechanism.
Yeah, I'm guessing you have something amiss. Mine.....don't have it, never saw it, rimfire or custom centerfire.

Trigger timing:

The other day, a very nice gentleman who has been working with bolts and triggers for a couple of decades phoned me and gave me a mini seminar on the entire trigger timing subject. it was very nice to have the subject explained in detail in language that I could understand. As I suspected, there are no great secrets to the matter, just straight forward measurements and feel. I greatly appreciate the gentleman's time and hs nickel for the phone call.

Sincerely,

Pete Wass

Why Not?

And you posted this on the forum ......why?

Essentially to thank this gentleman in public for SHARING, which is a commodity we sometimes are short on here. Considering it is on topic, I don't see where my post is off target..

Pete

Last edited:
Essentially to thank this gentleman in public for SHARING, which is a commodity we sometimes are short on here. Considering it is on topic, I don't see where my post is off target..

Pete

Short on what?
Public thanks or SHARING?
You got one covered but neglected the other.

Pete

Pete.....

Ignore him.... If it is who I think it is, he is a PITA..

Dave

Back