On opposite sides of the country -
Best methods - of transport -
Rifles gear,rests etc ---
Plane? --
Thanks
CK

Getting gear to matches!

Cold King,
Have driven across country with 4 adults for the Nationals in AZ straight through 48 hr each way! Never again!
Going to the Worlds in S.C. In 2011 with all my gear from Maine no problem stopped overnight going down and on the way back.
Worlds in Australia extra baggage going over was several hundred $$,coming back junked most of my clothes and sold wind flags pellets almost sold my front rest but put it in my suitcase. Didn't pay any extra coming back. Side note the airlines lost Team USA a total of 4 gun cases for 3 or 4 days!
I flew to the Nationals with wind flags, two probes, fill for an air tank, pellets and three guns. I borrowed a front rest from Joe. Had to pay $100.00 extra for a third bag. Going to CA. Coming home I got rid of a suitcase and gave my wind flags toward the raffle. Mailed all my pellets in a $12.00 flat rate postal box.
Made weight on both gun cases. Every thing else was in my carry on. Did get rid of bench towel, suitcase, and a couple of other things.
Undecided if I will ship a gun to Joe's place or just bring my two Thomas's and shoot my HV in open class?

Side note some airlines charge extra for the long gun cases and some limit to 50 lbs others have a 75 lb limit. I hate LAX so flew to AZ and then to Burbank Airport rented a car to get to Oxnard. The hotel is 5 min away from Joe's.

Paul Bendix

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

Sounds like a lot of hassle?
Driving would be great but - 40 hours! I'm not sure that I'm up for that?even if I were 20 years younger!
But doesn't seem to be a direct flight into or near Oxnard?
LAX then either car rental or puddle jumper?
Just so much equipment I'd like to bring- and cleaning solvents - guess they would be a no no on a plane -
Maybe fedex rifles? And rests ?
CK

LAX is about 1 hr from Oxnard.

Sounds like a lot of hassle?
Driving would be great but - 40 hours! I'm not sure that I'm up for that?even if I were 20 years younger!
But doesn't seem to be a direct flight into or near Oxnard?
LAX then either car rental or puddle jumper?
Just so much equipment I'd like to bring- and cleaning solvents - guess they would be a no no on a plane -
Maybe fedex rifles? And rests ?
CK

CK,
Joe's range has 4 wick style dual vane wind flags 4/bench. This year I won't bring any wind flags but will bring my wind probe. I will also use one of Joe's Front rest and rear bag, I will also bring one or two rear spacers in case the rear bag is too low for the front rest.

I like Burbank as I can take the car back the night before and a hotel is next to the airport. Shuttle bus from hotel to airport is free and can make a 6:00 AM flight to AZ and get home early.

Ever one local or who drives is willing to share bench equipment, Air ,Going out to eat etc.

I had no trouble bring WD-40 and Kroil but had them in a 2oz plastic bottle in a zip-lock bag.

To take an Airgun on a plane the AirTube has to be removed! And also no pellets with the air rifle !
Make sure your transfer port has lines before you dump the air. Line them back up when you screw on the air tube and check the alignment before adding air. Was a problem with Millers Thomas's at the Worlds. But Mike will be on hand.

Joe runs a top notch match! Give Joe a call and see if he can help you out.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

I have a rest and rear bag for you to use.

Flag Notice:

This year there will be only 7 lanes with three flags per lane. There has been weather damage over time to most of my flag poles. I have 12 portable stands and 12 that will be re-staked for the Nationals. Which means every other lane there will be flags that we will provide. It's important if you are not traveling by plane please bring your own set of flags.

Frank,
I will team you up with Paul, this way you both can share the same rest and rear bag, plus flags. If you have any other questions please feel free to call or email.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited:
Thanks Joe & Paul

Still about 6 months out, so I've got some time to work on the logistics --
But will call if I have any more questions.
I am really looking forward to this event!
Frank

Back