Time to rechamber?

280rem

I have a .220 AI that has about 1100 rounds through it and seems to have lost a bit of accuracy. I know there are alot of variables but wondered if it's time to have the chamber freshened up? I shoot a 65 gr. bullet at about 3800 fps and pace the gun so the barrel doesn't get hot. Any comments are appreiciated especially from those who shoot similar hotrods. Thanks, John.

I have a .220 AI that has about 1100 rounds through it and seems to have lost a bit of accuracy. I know there are alot of variables but wondered if it's time to have the chamber freshened up? I shoot a 65 gr. bullet at about 3800 fps and pace the gun so the barrel doesn't get hot. Any comments are appreiciated especially from those who shoot similar hotrods. Thanks, John.
What you need to consider is what size groups did it shoot originally vs. what size groups does it shoot now AND is the present performance unacceptable to what you are using it for.

As to "rechambering", generally a barrel that has 1100 rounds through it is seriously damaged too far down the bore to end up with enough barrel to be useful(or even legal).

We rechamber quite a few barrels. Step 1 is to detail clean the bore. Step 2 is then to inspect the bore with the bore scope.

If the bore does not have to much flame erosion we cut the shank off as needed, thread and chamber. Most shoot quite well if being shorter is not a problem. I have a 28" 1-10 Twist 257 barrel that did 2150 rounds as a 25-06. Flame erosion was major. I cut it off and made a 23" 25-06 barrel. It shot very good but was to short to use the powder. After about 250 rounds I made it into a shorter 25 BR. It is down to about 21.5" and shoots 1/4" or better with several bullets.

I guess next time it will have to become and XP-100 Pistol barrel.

If you have the equipment and knowhow or a very friendly gunsmith buddy then cutting off the shank and making a new barrel can be OK. But you need to bore scope it first to figure out where you need to cut. With light contour barrels you will often run out of barrel thickness before you get past the flame erosion.

I have a very light weight 25 BR barrel that I made from a Browning A bolt 25-06 Take Off. It is now 18.75" and shoots excellent for its weight. I use it on a Rem 700 repeater action in a carbon fiber Hunter class stock. With a heavy Nightforce scope it is still under 7.5#. It shoots three shot groups into 1.5" at 300 yards. After three shots the barrel is hot so shot 4 and 5 can be counted onto walk usually high and right. The 25BR case hold all the powder than can be burnt in the short barrel. This barrel has a Browning Boss tuner that works very good. With the tuner adjusted 100 yard groups under 1/4" are common.

When I first chambered this barrel to 25BR it was not so good. I had to hand lap the barrel before it shot so good.

Back