TIG welder

skeetlee

Im thinking about buying a new or used tig welder. I haven't ever tiged before so this will be a nerw learning experience for me. Im always up for something new to learn. Perhaps if i find myself capable i can tig weld some bolt handles anyone have any recommendations on a particular welder? Lincoln has a nice little unit for 1500$ comes with foot peddle . Lee

What ever you decide on but get water cooled...... Jim

Ditto on the water cooled. It's a waste of time to even consider not having it. I've got an older Miller Syncrowave, and a rather current Lincoln Square wave. My welders like their Lincolns. I like my Miller. Did I say, don't forget the "Water Cooling"? :confused:

I'd suggest a Miller. Both Lincoln and Miller are good welders out of the gate, but several vendors have told me that it's much easier to get parts for the Miller if you need them. (My TIG is a Synchrowave and I'm pleased with it.)

GsT

I have both water cooled torches and air cooled. For most of my work (small jobs) I prefer the air cooled torch. Less noise and less to maintain. I for one don't like to listen to that pump whine. Can't imagine a gunsmithing job needing more than 130-150 amps. I use this flex head as my go to torch for most jobs: https://www.arc-zone.com/CK-130FX

Small welder

I have a Miller Eco-Tig works great for small jobs such as gunsmithing procedures.

Gun welding usually requires good cosmetics and small welds like bolt handles, pit filling, etc. You need a Tig machine that can hold a very low current arc for those delicate welds and elimination of the crater at arc cut-off. Miller makes a line called Maxstar that can go down to 1 amp. They are not cheap, but you won't need anything else.

RWO

I use a Miller Maxstar 185 everyday at work making about 750 welds each day. They don't have water cooled torches and I run it at about 130 amps.
These have been good machines, there are probably 75 of them in the shop.
If you are thinking about welding aluminum it is a whole different story. Then you will need the water cooled torch.
I bought a cheap HF tig for about $200. After learning it's quirks, it welds pretty good.
Joe Hynes

I have both water cooled torches and air cooled. For most of my work (small jobs) I prefer the air cooled torch. Less noise and less to maintain. I for one don't like to listen to that pump whine. Can't imagine a gunsmithing job needing more than 130-150 amps. I use this flex head as my go to torch for most jobs: https://www.arc-zone.com/CK-130FX

Exactly. Just because you want/need a TIG machine, does not automatically mean you need a water cooled torch. I've welded .125" 6061 fuel cells with an air cooled torch without issues.

I've had a Syncrowave 200 since new and it's done all I need a TIG machine to do. You need a large circuit to run it though. i believe the newer models in that class are inverter machines and use much less power. I'm not getting rid of mine to update though.

air vs water

My experience going from air cooled to water cooled torches was the flexibility of the water cooled torch was much better, which is more important in tig than other forms of welding. Picture using a pen or pencil with a stiff cord attached, tig is capable of very precision welding.

Thanks men. I think I'm going to look into a course at the junior college here in town. When I venture into something new I like to succeed. If I go with a lincoln or Miller it's gonna cost a couple grand to get started. I want to be prepared.
I keep reading some excellent reviews on a Hobart machine. I always thought Hobart was a cheaper china unit?

Flexibility might depend on what actual torch you may have. I can tell you how 4 torches compare as to flexibility of cable or feel in hand.

Stiffest is an old Weldcraft WP-17 air cooled
Next and both about equal CK CK-20 water and Tweco R-20 water
Most flexible CK-130 air cooled

Correct on the flexibility you can get the soft flexible leads with the air cooled torch now I believe CK would be your best source I made my own by putting the water cooled leads on my air cooled torch before I knew I could buy them. I see no reason for a gunsmith to have a water cooled torch just another thing to maintain. A welder capable of welding low current for gunsmith use won't be cheap.

Also look into Avortec welders on Ebay I have a couple friends that bought them and like them a lot.

Flexibility might depend on what actual torch you may have. I can tell you how 4 torches compare as to flexibility of cable or feel in hand.

Stiffest is an old Weldcraft WP-17 air cooled
Next and both about equal CK CK-20 water and Tweco R-20 water
Most flexible CK-130 air cooled

I stand corrected, my original air cooled torch was a WP-17 and I assumed all air cooled torches were horribly inflexible.

I'll need to see what torch mine has once I get it back from a friend that's been using it for the last couple years building a car. I can't imagine it getting any more flexible than it is.

Skeetlee,
Master oxy-acetylene gas welding/brazing during night classes in welding 101 & TIG welding will be much easier.
If, you can't gas weld, hire a professional.
Once you operate a Smith's oxy-acetylene torch you'll never touch a Victor torch again.

CK-Connely Kleppin torches SUCK by inducing too much heat back into the operator through the handle material.

For firearms work a 150-180 amp inverter DC/CC unit w/ high frequency start instead of lift arc/scratch start is your best option.

The #9 air cooled or #20 water cooled torch is your best option for torch manipulation.

The larger #17 air cooled or #18 water cooled torch will induce more heat into the operator & are more cumbersome.

A foot control pedal works best for bench work where hand controls work better for remote work.

US made Miller equipment will cost you more than Chinese junk,but Miller will stand behind their product for as long as you own it.
Weldcraft Torches now merged w/ Miller is your best option for a TIG torch.

tig

I have a friend that is a welder and ran a giant Murex machine for years, it had a water cooled torch. He had it burn up twice that I know of when the city shut the water off without telling anyone. I am not a TIG weldor but I do have a small Miller machine that I would love to be able to run better. I do believe that if you could get by with an air cooled torch, that would be better off cause it will just be some thing to break latter.

Back