Thunderbird T322 Powder

Quigley257

Greetings! Long time shooter and reloader, first time visitor to the forums. I found my way here after searching online for information about some powder I acquired. I have an 8lb jug of unopened Thunderbird Powder T322. Well, it was unopened until a metal fixture fell over and pierced the jug... I saved most of it, with only a few ounces spilling onto the floor. It was in a taped box, inside a plastic bag, inside what looks like a white plastic bleach bottle. The powder smells great(does that sound weird?) so I'm confidant that it's still useable. I am looking for either load data(223 Remington) or someone who would be willing to trade for it or buy it. I gather from searching online that it was a good benchrest powder "back in the day", but very little other information about it. Thanks for your time - Quigley

Quigley,
Where are you located, so we might know whether or not a face to face swap could be done. You won't be able to ship it, and please don't use it in a .223! I just used the last of mine at the Cactus and would certainly be interested, but depends on where you live. There are a lot of better powders for your .223 and someone that shoots BR would probably trade for your T powder.

t322.jpg

t322jug.jpg

A couple pics of the original container. I transferred the powder into an empty black Hodgdon container that I had available. I guess I should ask, is this the best place to post this or would you suggest a different forum or site to post it on?

Last edited:
Where is the hole in the jug and if it was wrapped as you say...how did any powder get lost?

I can only describe the scene of the attack as all evidence has been cleaned up at this point. Lol. A frame made out of 2" steel angle iron tipped and fell, slashing a path through the box, bag and jug. I noticed the black substance pouring from the opening and quickly tipped the box on its side preventing any further loss of powder. Perhaps I should have taken more thorough crime scene pictures, but I didn't think I would have to prove the loss of a few ounces of powder...

You don't have to prove anything! This T322, however, just ain't ANY powder. Also, there's a classified section here....

I would dearly love to have that powder!!!

You have a jug of the first batch sold.
Use the same data as h322 and work up from there.
The powder is slower now than when WALT sold it.
Just shoot it and have fun.

Wilbur, no disrespect meant. I've gained an appreciation for how coveted this powder is among the benchrest community. I definitely won't be burning it up in my 223s. I would rather see it get put to it's intended use. Someone please make me an offer that I can't refuse. I'm open to cash or trades or both. I burn lots of Varget, H4350 and CFE223 if you're looking for trading fodder. Lapua brass in 6.5 Creedmoor also has my interest aroused...

I tried to post the powder in the classified section. I registered for the classified access and got the registration confirmation, but it won't allow me to log in. If there is an admin that could look into this for me I would appreciate it.

Over 10 years ago at a National Event, I watched a shooter hand over more than $300 for one pound of the old T-32.

He was as proud of it as a father with a new born baby.

T-322

[B]I'm sure you can get the $300 for the T 322,, but just a little too much for me. In fact , I'll sell you a jug of T32, which is same for $265. Thanks for your offer
Good shooting
Tom aka HFV
[/B]

Over 10 years ago at a National Event, I watched a shooter hand over more than $300 for one pound of the old T-32.

He was as proud of it as a father with a new born baby.

I don't doubt it at all. About the same as when we were running short of brass in the old Sako .220 Russian days and there were people trying to sell brass for $6 to 8 each case. FWIW, a couple of years ago I chonographed some of the T322 just like what he has in the photo along side some of the T32. Both powders threw the same weight with the same powder measure setting and chronographed exactly the same right at 3300 fps with the load that I was shooting. One thing I've seen in benchrest is that the best powder is whatever is the current unobtanium and same with bullets. If you can't get it now, its the best that ever was. By the way, if you haven't priced any 133 lately, $265 for T powder is a good price. Powder Valley is selling 133 for $213.25 plus shipping and haz mat fee. It seems like pricing on everything is going up. Ordered some Remington extractors today for about $15. Close to twice what they used to cost just a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back