Thread Chaser for Dies

hoagiejoe

I'm looking for the correct die size to use to chase threads on my RCBS micrometer seating dies. I bought a 7/8 - 14 NF and it doesn't seem to work. I also tried it on dies with perfect threads and it won't screw on.

If you are wondering why:
I bought a Lee Classic press to use just for seating. I screwed in my 6BR die. It felt good, but a bit tight in one spot. Still screwed in easily by hand. A couple of days ago I removed it, started my 308 die and it began to feel tight pretty quickly so I backed it right out. Upon inspection, the first 3 threads are flattened a bit. On the 6mm die, only the first thread was damaged. I think I can get that one back on pretty easily but don't want to force the 308 seater.

Anyway, I screwed a bunch of other RCBS and other dies into the new Lee and they all screw in perfectly. Before screwing into the Lee Classic, they were in a Lee turret, which is softer alu with probably less precise threads.

Thanks,

Joe

I'm looking for the correct die size to use to chase threads on my RCBS micrometer seating dies. I bought a 7/8 - 14 NF and it doesn't seem to work. I also tried it on dies with perfect threads and it won't screw on.

Just about all reloading dies are 7/8-14.

Many reloading dies are hardened and you might have a hard time cutting them with a threading die.

Pictures of the threading die would help. Some threading dies have an adjustment screw.

Isn't the body of that Die case hardened? If so, a chaser will not cut it.

I would get a 7/8 14 tap and run it into the press. That might cure your problem.

Isn't the body of that Die case hardened? If so, a chaser will not cut it.

I would get a 7/8 14 tap and run it into the press. That might cure your problem.

I think so, though the dies that do screw into the press seem harder...but that may just be my perception because the seating dies with the damaged threads are black and the dies that do screw in are more of a grey. Good call on the tap. I originally thought that would solve it but when the other dies screwed in, I thought otherwise. Now that you bring it up, it seems silly no to give that a try. That said, the threads are buggered on the dies. If I can't repair them, I'll see if RCBS will sell me a new body. I already swapped the internals on the 308 die with my 338, so I have something to use until I straighten this out.

Just about all reloading dies are 7/8-14.

Many reloading dies are hardened and you might have a hard time cutting them with a threading die.

Pictures of the threading die would help. Some threading dies have an adjustment screw.

I'll do that as soon as I can. Another thought I had is that some dies are listed as "rethreading" dies and some are not. The one I bought is not. Also, I don't know if the "NF" is significant. Apparently, it stands for National Fine.

Thank you both for your replies

Back