Thoughts on H&R Model 12

rkittine

Hi,

I want to play with Rim Fire Bench Rest. 50 Yards locally and then 200 yards at Williamsport. I have available to me at a good price, a H&R Model 12 with a Shilen 25" Barrel, a tuner and a Bench Rest 3" Wide Forend Stock with a T36 mounted in Kelbly Rings on Kelbly Bases. Are these actions decent for this time of shooting? Parts available? Triggers etc.?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, I'd like to know the price before I could say for sure one way or the other if its worth having. The reason I say that is there are some better platforms out there that you can get parts for. Anschutz, Coopers, 40X's, etc. Also some decent used customs around for short money.
Essentially Tim is right most likely, its a club gun. Which seems like exactly what you're looking for! I owned one a while back in its factory configuration I shot in 100 yd matches & it shot well.
I'm not sure about parts but did peek over at Numrich's & they didn't have anything. Poke around over on Rimfire Central in the H&R Forum & you may find more info there.
I would recommend shooting it 1st & if possible looking at the bore with a borescope.
And if you do decide to get it, enjoy!

Keith

Thanks Tim and Keith,

I have a Stiller 2500X action on order and have talked to Gordon Eck about building a gun for me (I am in driving distance of him). In the meantime, I want something to play with. So, the price is $1,075.00 shipped to my FFL in New York.

That includes:
The Rifle and Tuner
Shilen Barrel, chambered and installed
Round Count is 800 on this barrel.
Keith Smith Trigger
BR Stock as shown.
Weaver T36 Scope with Sunshade (not shown)
Kelbly Rings and Dove Tail Bases.
Thoughts?

I have seen these with the straight Sporter stock for $750.00 without custom barrel and tuner (no clue what this is worth, figured $50) and I figure the scope is worth $300.00 plus the rings and bases about $75 so around $1,175 not counting the stock work or freight. Freight and insurance probably $40 or so.

Bob

Attachments

• H&R M12 RS.jpg
    H&R M12 RS.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
I would pass on that platform for that money. Heck, you're only a few hundered away from a decent used, dedicated BR gun and you will be far better off in the long run.

Thanks Tim and Keith,

I have a Stiller 2500X action on order and have talked to Gordon Eck about building a gun for me (I am in driving distance of him). In the meantime, I want something to play with. So, the price is $1,075.00 shipped to my FFL in New York.

Thank includes:
The Rifle and Tuner
Round Count is 800 on this barrel.
Keith Smith Trigger
BR Stock as shown.
Weaver T36 Scope with Sunshade (not shown)
Kelbly Rings and Dove Tail Bases.
Thoughts?

I have seen these with the straight Sporter stock for $750.00 without custom barrel and tuner (no clue what this is worth, figured $50) and I figure the scope is worth $300.00 plus the rings and bases about $75 so around $1,175 not counting the stock work or freight. Freight and insurance probably $40 or so.

Bob

I've seen people asking that for them too. I think a more realistic # is probably around $600 myself. The Shilen barrel is $300. Tuner $150. Scope $350+. Rings & bases $100+ Custom stock work & trigger job I'll not guess on but not inexpensive. So I say the value is there & then some.
I feel like its an excellent price myself & could pleasantly surprise you. For your intentions stated above I don't see how you'd go wrong. But I've been known for going out on limbs....:rolleyes:
Go 4 it!

Keith

I've seen people asking that for them too. I think a more realistic # is probably around $600 myself. The Shilen barrel is $300. Tuner $150. Scope $350+. Rings & bases $100+ Custom stock work & trigger job I'll not guess on but not inexpensive. So I say the value is there & then some.
I feel like its an excellent price myself & could pleasantly surprise you. For your intentions stated above I don't see how you'd go wrong. But I've been known for going out on limbs....:rolleyes:
Go 4 it!

Keith

+1
For that price it's like a free rifle.
Dave

Here is a fundemental principle of benchrest, you may have it for free. You don't want it I'll give you your money back.
There is no such thing as a bargain knowingly using sub par componants.....ever.
At some point down the road if you get serious about doing this, you may very well recognize the value of that statement......good luck.

Last edited:
The thing is, you can't see what you need to see with a rifle that won't show it to you. Sure, there's bargains at every turn but why spend the time and moreover the money on/with a rifle that won't win. That said, there's more custom rifles that won't win than there are winners and a few non-custom rifles that shouldn't win...but do. Here's the deal - there are more custom rifles that are capable of winning (anywhere) than non-custom rifles.

I'm pretty darn sure that you aren't as concerned with the cash outlay as I am but there's other, more important, things involved here. Gravely important!

The thing is, you can't see what you need to see with a rifle that won't show it to you.......

THIS!

This is GOLD.....

The innertube is full of "if I do my part" and "All Day Long When I Do My Part" and "#3 was a called flier" and "except for the fouling shot two of them made a great group" and "that tune is starting to show promise" and "if only" and "you an' I BOTH know".........

But most DON'T know. Most people have never fired a rifle which can see the wind.

They are RARE....Rarer than diamonds....rarer than Bogey and Bergmann. "If all the guns join't in all the towns in all the world" you'd walk through a lot of towns to find a single gun that shows the wind. It's only in the movies that they walk in on their own........

I'm wit' Wilbur here. If you get'cher hands on a gun that SHOOTS you will know it.

Buy it.

Since I have never used a tuner, have never played with a decent .22 RF rifle and this one is a decent price, I think it may be an OK place for me to play while waiting for my new action and the build. I would think the worse case is that I turn around and sell it from a few hundred less than I pay for it and would be like renting a toy for a while.

I do appreciate all the input and am lucky to have gotten good results out of my first three custom builds.

Bob

Hi,

I want to play with Rim Fire Bench Rest. 50 Yards locally and then 200 yards at Williamsport. I have available to me at a good price, a H&R Model 12 with a Shilen 25" Barrel, a tuner and a Bench Rest 3" Wide Forend Stock with a T36 mounted in Kelbly Rings on Kelbly Bases. Are these actions decent for this time of shooting? Parts available? Triggers etc.?

Thanks, Bob
I paid $800 for one with a Broughton 5C bbl, Harrells tuner, and 2 bricks of Eley BB that it liked (no scope) and as Tim said it's a club match gun, But I'd take it to any sanctioned RF match too see how it stacked up.

What is the trigger like on it?

All said and done, if the bolt opens and closes and it has a reliable, light trigger, the rifle should be competitive, providing the barrel is good. I have seen a few stock Savage rifles shoot 250's with pretty good X counts so you can't always tell what a rifle will do. I don't place a lot of relevance on an action as long as it will lock up well and provide for a light trigger. It's what ahead of the action that makes a rifle. Sure, custom actions are nice but that's only because they provide more convenient features. Headspace is headspace.

Pete

All said and done, if the bolt opens and closes and it has a reliable, light trigger, the rifle should be competitive, providing the barrel is good. I have seen a few stock Savage rifles shoot 250's with pretty good X counts so you can't always tell what a rifle will do. I don't place a lot of relevance on an action as long as it will lock up well and provide for a light trigger. It's what ahead of the action that makes a rifle. Sure, custom actions are nice but that's only because they provide more convenient features. Headspace is headspace.

Pete

Ah....the gift that keeps on giving.
Pay attention all you misdirected pro gunsmiths wasting untold thousands of customer dollars unnecessarily.

Ah....the gift that keeps on giving.
Pay attention all you misdirected pro gunsmiths wasting untold thousands of customer dollars unnecessarily.

Not to take sides here, but I heard Harry Deneen (you know: the IR Hall of Fame's #1 guy) make the same claim more than once. But, of course, what did he know?

Dave

Not to take sides here, but I heard Harry Deneen (you know: the IR Hall of Fame's #1 guy) make the same claim more than once. But, of course, what did he know?

Dave

Here's a little tidbit for you Dave. Now Harry was an absolute marvel behind a gun....no doubt. Having a couple great guns well ahead of the pack as well as unique opportunity to get the cream of ammo probably never hurt. That said Harry had zero input into gun building, top to bottom, he knew what end the slug came out........that's about it.
I know Harry fairly well.

Back