Thompson Center TCR vs. 1885 Low Wall

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
OK, the 6.5x54 MS thread didn't generate much excitement, so let's try something different.

A few years back I encountered a Thompson Center TCR single shot in a gun shop. It had double set triggers. It was close to my idea of a "stalking rifle" except that the caliber was 7mm Remington Magnum. The price was not bad and it appeared to be very well made. I have since seen other examples on the internet sales sites that look appealing and the prices are good. I understand that TC discontinued this model after a fire that destroyed the tooling. Too bad, as I like it more than their other offerings.

Now for the competition. I have always craved a Browning 1885 Low Wall in .260 Remington, but they are virtually unobtanium. A .243 might fit my budget. I do like that they are a falling block rather than a break action and they seem a bit more svelte than the TCR.

My use for such a rifle would be for roaming about for varmints or deer (and exercise). So, any anecdotes from those that own or crave one of these rifles that might sway my eventual decision?

I have an 1885 in 222 that would take a bet of a hundred bucks any half way calm day w flags that it would shoot three shots under a half inch. Maybe 3/8s if calm out. Borescoped barrel looks lapped. Sweet little rifle.

Well how about he fact that the low wall is a thing of classic beauty and the TCR is ugly as a crowbar.

Ouch!!!!!

Maybe I've been swayed by the rarity factor of the TCR.

I did a quick survey of the internet sales sites. TCRs were almost non-existent. Low Walls were everywhere, but most were Winchester rimfires, which don't appeal to me. There were three nice Brownings - two .243's and a .260. The latter was very pricey, but nice. Maybe I'll have to sell some guns or sell back some vacation and get one.

Anyone out there willing to defend the virtue of the TCR?

T.c.

Don't know about the rifles but I have a encore pistol in 308 I killed an elk with in new mexico. It will shoot an inch at 100 with 180s.

Back