Tell us about your Bench Rest journey.

vicfox

I'm hoping that like me others here are interested to hear the journey of others from how you got involved in rimfire bench rest and the twists and turns that got you to your involvement today.

It can be brief but preferably a detailed account of what rifles you've shot and your gear including changes over time and where you got too and your achievements.

I'm a knock about club shooter that started with a short term activity related to an award scheme though school which involved me taking up an outside school activity.
So I went to the local small bore rifle club which shot 20m prone in those days.

I participated for about 3 months learning and shooting completing the School requirements related to the award criteria but for whatever reason I never continued on with it even though I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Just young and stupid I guess

Having been interested in rabbit shooting with my Dad back then being about 13 years of age despite not having my own rifle I couldn't get enough of it. I loved shooting and hunting which has been my passion all my life.

Later in life I had 3 daughters of my own, who when they were in their early teens I took them to the same local range to familiarize them with handling and shooting a rifle.
They were popular personalities there and the range by then shot bench rest as well. We all shot bench and we all enjoyed it together and improved our skills. Many times both my girls outshot me.
With so many activities for the young ones they drifted to other interests in life but I was hooked good and proper and 15 years down the track I'm still at it and more passionate than ever.

Originally I shot the club rifles and occasionally got the use of a fellow club members rifle to shoot.
Mostly at our local club but we did compete every couple of months with 2 other clubs in the district shooting at distances of 20m, 50m and 90m in a three way club comp.

After couple years involvement I purchase a fellow club members rifle being at the time a 48 year old Walther KKM that he had used for prone.
qvYPSoz.jpg

I modified it with a flat 3inch fore-end plate and a cheap 10-40 Zos scope similar to the club scopes and had the barrel re- crowned. It shot exceptionally well for such a older rifle.
As a combination they worker really well considering the dollars outlaid.

I periodically upgraded to my own second hand Caldwell rest that eventually got it freshen up with a Greenlaw windage top which again I found my shooting improving on paper.
INUmGKF.jpg

Later came a new Weaver T36 scope and at a club level by this time I was reasonably competitive and had entered a couple of annual State Postal Pennant competitions which our club competed in.
These usually involved about 180 shooters across the State clubs shooting 10 cards of 20 shots each at 20m.
I managed about 50th place which I considered acceptable at the time.

Over time my passion and competitiveness drove me towards even more expense. Having always been thrifty with my dollars I pursued value in the purchase of used over new which had served me well right through life.

I was terrified of buying my next rifle in case I was only to find it didn't shoot better than my ageing Walther but eventually I bit the bullet and bought a used virtually new Anschutz 2013BR50 at what was a good price against new.
Fortunately it shot very well and assisted me in being a better shot and even more driven to be competitive.

About 12 months after that rifle purchase I bought the original owners March scope, a 36-55 which was again as new not having been mounted and at a ripper price. It was another step up and a big improvement for my shooting.

By now, say 7-8 years involvement in bench rest I hadn't been shooting outside the local club environment other than the State Postal comps but had got considerably closer to the pointy end.

Driving me though this period was a couple of others club members that were very keen, very good shots and very competitive shooters who had also improved their gear but considerably quicker and more costly than the way I had gone.
i8wFueX.jpg

These guys were always helpful. supportive and sharing in their advise and technical knowledge which has been a huge help which I have been most appreciative of.
Its been a terrific culture within the club which continues to this day and an inspiration.

In the last couple of years I upgraded the front rest to a Randolph rest, a barrel tuner and top end Ammunition as well as becoming more batch picky with the Lapua I was shooting.
MQx6fvi.jpg

2 years ago I made another rifle purchase and again being a near newish second hand Anschutz, this time a 54.30. More of an test purchase than out of need but hoping it was more accurate than the 2013BR50 which was a shooter.
Fortunately it turned out to be just that bit more accurate and again my shooting improved.
o12hsbA.jpg

I should have mentioned that I was always able to sell my old equipment at a good price that helped fund the fun.

I had been going to comps by this time and placing in B grade events and the odd win while becoming more competitive in general. It was a slow process but I had a lot of enjoyment and loved the people involved in the sport.
wN6Rrul.jpg

More recently I made it to A grade in both 20m and 50m bench rest winning a couple of State Postals but
I'm yet to win at the bigger comps but I think I'm giving a few a scare.

In the last 12 months I ordered a custom build comprising of a 2500x action, Lilja barrel, Flarvio trigger a Harrel's tuner.
6 weeks ago I had it at the range and boy what a treasure. In that time I have shot 2 PB's and been very competitive in 2 bigger coms.
gOGUazS.jpg

The journey's not over and hopping there's lots more fun to be had

Last edited:
I'm hoping that like me others here are interested to hear the journey of others from how you got involved in rimfire bench rest and the twists and turns that got you to your involvement today.

It can be brief but preferably a detailed account of what rifles you've shot and your gear including changes over time and where you got too and your achievements.

I'm a knock about club shooter that started with a short term activity related to an award scheme though school which involved me taking up an outside school activity.
So I went to the local small bore rifle club which shot 20m prone in those days.

I participated for about 3 months learning and shooting completing the School requirements related to the award criteria but for whatever reason I never continued on with it even though I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Just young and stupid I guess

Having been interested in rabbit shooting with my Dad back then being about 13 years of age despite not having my own rifle I couldn't get enough of it. I loved shooting and hunting which has been my passion all my life.

Later in life I had 3 daughters of my own, who when they were in their early teens I took them to the same local range to familiarize them with handling and shooting a rifle.
They were popular personalities there and the range by then shot bench rest as well. We all shot bench and we all enjoyed it together and improved our skills. Many times both my girls outshot me.
With so many activities for the young ones they drifted to other interests in life but I was hooked good and proper and 15 years down the track I'm still at it and more passionate than ever.

Originally I shot the club rifles and occasionally got the use of a fellow club members rifle to shoot.
Mostly at our local club but we did compete every couple of months with 2 other clubs in the district shooting at distances of 20m, 50m and 90m in a three way club comp.

After couple years involvement I purchase a fellow club members rifle being at the time a 48 year old Walther KKM that he had used for prone.
qvYPSoz.jpg

I modified it with a flat 3inch fore-end plate and a cheap 10-40 Zos scope similar to the club scopes and had the barrel re- crowned. It shot exceptionally well for such a older rifle.
As a combination they worker really well considering the dollars outlaid.

I periodically upgraded to my own second hand Caldwell rest that eventually got it freshen up with a Greenlaw windage top which again I found my shooting improving on paper.
INUmGKF.jpg

Later came a new Weaver T36 scope and at a club level by this time I was reasonably competitive and had entered a couple of annual State Postal Pennant competitions which our club competed in.
These usually involved about 180 shooters across the State clubs shooting 10 cards of 20 shots each at 20m.
I managed about 50th place which I considered acceptable at the time.

Over time my passion and competitiveness drove me towards even more expense. Having always been thrifty with my dollars I pursued value in the purchase of used over new which had served me well right through life.

I was terrified of buying my next rifle in case I was only to find it didn't shoot better than my ageing Walther but eventually I bit the bullet and bought a used virtually new Anschutz 2013BR50 at what was a good price against new.
Fortunately it shot very well and assisted me in being a better shot and even more driven to be competitive.

About 12 months after that rifle purchase I bought the original owners March scope, a 36-55 which was again as new not having been mounted and at a ripper price. It was another step up and a big improvement for my shooting.

By now, say 7-8 years involvement in bench rest I hadn't been shooting outside the local club environment other than the State Postal comps but had got considerably closer to the pointy end.

Driving me though this period was a couple of others club members that were very keen, very good shots and very competitive shooters who had also improved their gear but considerably quicker and more costly than the way I had gone.
i8wFueX.jpg

These guys were always helpful. supportive and sharing in their advise and technical knowledge which has been a huge help which I have been most appreciative of.
Its been a terrific culture within the club which continues to this day and an inspiration.

In the last couple of years I upgraded the front rest to a Randolph rest, a barrel tuner and top end Ammunition as well as becoming more batch picky with the Lapua I was shooting.
MQx6fvi.jpg

2 years ago I made another rifle purchase and again being a near newish second hand Anschutz, this time a 54.30. More of an test purchase than out of need but hoping it was more accurate than the 2013BR50 which was a shooter.
Fortunately it turned out to be just that bit more accurate and again my shooting improved.
o12hsbA.jpg

I should have mentioned that I was always able to sell my old equipment at a good price that helped fund the fun.

I had been going to comps by this time and placing in B grade events and the odd win while becoming more competitive in general. It was a slow process but I had a lot of enjoyment and loved the people involved in the sport.
wN6Rrul.jpg

More recently I made it to A grade in both 20m and 50m bench rest winning a couple of State Postals but
I'm yet to win at the bigger comps but I think I'm giving a few a scare.

In the last 12 months I ordered a custom build comprising of a 2500x action, Lilja barrel, Flarvio trigger a Harrel's tuner.
6 weeks ago I had it at the range and boy what a treasure. In that time I have shot 2 PB's and been very competitive in 2 bigger coms.
gOGUazS.jpg

The journey's not over and hopping there's lots more fun to be had

vicfox,

What a wonderful story. I bet many others have had a similar progression. Except maybe the three daughters that would actually shoot with you.

You have came a long way and I'm sure you have had a lot of fun. After all that is what it is suppose to be about.

Thank you for sharing. I hope others post their stories too.

TKH (4628)

Back in 2016, I retired from work, and picked up shooting pistols as a hobby with a friend. The local range has steel shooting matches during the summer months, with moving targets, and is timed. I had great fun shooting and seeing how I did against the competition that showed up in the evening for the shoot. I started with a Glock, and moved up to a Smithfield XDM OSP with a red dot sight. That was a great pistol. I wanted to try shooting a long gun, and was able to pickup a stock H&R Model 12 Military training rifle. We often joked that the stock was like a 2x4, but that rifle with the right ammo would shoot sub-0.5 inch groups at 50 yards. This rifle started me down a path of ammo testing. I probably tested over 25 brands of ammo, looking to see which the rifle could shoot the best. My testing showed Federal Ultramatch shot the best, and unfortunely, that was around the time when Ultramatch was phased out by Federal.

My next move was into the Anschutz family. I picked up a 1416 sporter, and after ammo testing, it shot at best a little over 0.5 inches at 50 yards. Nothing spectacular. Then, I spotted an Anschutz 1903 and picked that up. That was a very good gun, and actually shot better at 100 yards than at 50. I started shooting aspirins with a group of guys at the range at 100 yards, for a dime a pop. That was more about bragging rights than money, but I had a great time. A couple of the guys had custom rifles, and shot better than my Anschutz, so I investigated the PSL, and found the key components that the top shooters had on their rifles, and ordered a custom rifle from Killough Shooting Sports, since I did not know any gunsmiths. I received that rifle in fall of 2019, and shot it through the winter. Man, compared to what I had, this rifle could shoot very good. I also had to do another round of ammo testing and found some lots of Eley Match shot pretty good in the rifle. I shot pills with it, and boy, I was shooting much better than anything I have had in my short experience with .22 rifles. I then became aware of ARA and the matches that were held at the various ranges across the country. Fortunately, I had two ranges within 2 hours of me that held ARA matches, so I started shooting those matches in 2021, and the fire was lit. I am looking forward to 2022 season and the first match coming up is on April 9th, so I'm getting ready to start the season. Since I am retired, as I replaced pistols/rifles, I sold the old equipment as I purchased the new equipment, so I don't have multiple gun safes loaded with equipment. I also did this on purpose, to allow me to focus and become as accustomed to the equipment that I can, to shoot as well as I can.

My last equipment change is coming in 2022. I have two custom rifles that will be built and delivered in 2022/2023 that will give me the best equipment I can find. After that, the rest is up to me. My "skills" in ammo testing from my M-12 experience have paid dividends and will continue as I look forward to the new rifles. Contrary to my past experience, these two new rifles will be keepers, and my last rifles (at least for now) as they will represent the top of the line equipment to shoot.

Also, I have a similar development path on rifle rests. I started using a Caldwell BR rest with the M-12, then when I got the KSS rifle, I moved into a PQP lite rest (for the ARA 2021 season), and now I have sold that and moved into a PQP Joystick rest. I will be using that for the first time in the ARA matches this year.

On another front, I never used wind flags until I started shooting in ARA matches. It is so important to factor what the wind is doing into your aiming that I went to my first match with one flag, and used that so I could see what other flag types the other shooters were using and then decided what additional flags to purchase. There are a lot of choices there and it's important to talk to some of the experienced folks to see what they use and why, and then for me to try it and see what works best for me.

So my journey continues to evolve, and includes flags, rests, rifles, ammo, and technique. Practice, Practice, Practice has become my motto. It has been great fun and continues to be great fun to see how I can improve my scores in a highly competitive environment.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading Vic's and Larry's stories! I think they may be very informative for those that may have a desire to shoot BR, but may not know what's involved and how to go about it.

Thanks guys,
Landy

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading Vic's and Larry's stories! I think they may be very informative for those that may have a desire to shoot BR, but may not know what's involved and how to go about it.

Thanks guys,
Landy

Landy,

Like you I enjoyed the stories. Could you take a little time and share how you got into shooting rimfire?

I’m sure that would be interesting to many.

TKH (4628)

Now this is an interesting thread. I'll check back later, and try and remember back a ways. It was definitely a great journey, but very enjoyable. It'd take a while to document it all, I recall finishing fitting a barrel at 3 am, then shooting back to back 250's with it the next day to win a state championship. That was one of Lilja's first tight bore 4 grooves.

Now this is an interesting thread. I'll check back later, and try and remember back a ways. It was definitely a great journey, but very enjoyable. It'd take a while to document it all, I recall finishing fitting a barrel at 3 am, then shooting back to back 250's with it the next day to win a state championship. That was one of Lilja's first tight bore 4 grooves.

Kent,

Dig deep into those memories and share your journey.

My hope is others will read it and learn your path.

You have been a big part of this sport for a long time and have much to share.

Put it out there and we will see if others take up the challenge that is RFBR.

TKH (4628)

Kent’s story

Kent’s story will be interesting, plus he is one of the nicest and most helpful people in the sport!

Regards
Jerry Halcomb

Actually, I got into rimfire BR incrementally, or kind of slow. I was fortunate to be in an area close to a couple of ranges where some of the best of their time were at their peak, Steve Arnold, Lamon Loggins(one of the best hard wind shooters alive, and top notch rimfire gunsmith as well), Steve Lawson, Mack Douglas, were some of my opposition. I think most of those guys had won State and National matches. A tough crowd, but great people. I knew I wasn't going in a winner, or coming out one. LOL

Back then the ranges only had on match per month, 3 targets in 3 gun, and you waited a month to try again. But, I got to see the equipment the best were using, wind flags, rests, sand bags, spotting scopes and mounts. That helped. What hurt was a couple of the guys were shooting Calfee 10.5 class rifles and sporters with bloop tube barrels, and that was around the year 2003. I developed a lot of respect for that equipment, fast. I think I only shot 2 or 3 matches in 2003, but in 2004 I tried to shoot every match at Wilkesboro, NC, and Sparta, NC, the 2 ranges were relatively close to me.

Starting in 2004 season I bought a 40XR Rem, new in the box, unfired from Jim Williams and bedded it into a McMillan Edge carbon fiber stock, topped it with a used Bausch and Lomb 36X scope, put a Jewell trigger on it. It was pretty good, but finicky on ammo, had to buy and test a lot. And about mid season Bob Collins sold me a good Hall sporter, that made a big difference!! We're talking 3 gun here. LOL

Going back a long ways, I'll post more. But all the guys I shot with were some fine folks to spend a day with. Great people one and all. Then I ran into Harry Deneen at a match in Bristol VA at Kettlefoot. Let me tell ya, that man can shoot! Great guy too.

Thinking back, there's many aspects to my experiences. I guess you could classify as equipment and ammo as #1, then #2 shooting focus and reading wind, and light reading(one of the most important on occasions), and let's not forget mirage.

and #3 I did my own gunsmithing so that's a whole different ballgame and thread in itself. Like how to tell a straight bore from a crooked one, how to slug the bores, lapping tight spots out if required, etc..

Last edited:
I am late getting into rimfire and learning a lot the hard way. In the 90s I bought a Suhl 150 from Herb Gibson and a couple different lots of Eley. I was shooting CF benchrest at the time and went to Midland to shoot. I traveled with Bill Hull who ran Shilen's barrel shop for years. We visited Flash Ebert as he wanted to hire bill to run his barrel shop. While there I bought a RF receiver from Flash. Built the Turbo with a Shilen barrel, Jewell trigger, and a McMillan Edge stock. I never shot either rifle. I still have the Eley Benchrest Gold that I got from Herb. I went back to CF.
Flash forward to the last few years. A friend in Colorado gave me 3 40X receivers with new PT&G bolt assemblies. I helped Ed Shilen with his Formula Ford vintage race car. I used to specialize in Hewland transmissions. Ed gave me a RF barrel and I sent it and one of the receivers to Richard Gorham. I call it my Tincan shooter and it has a beautiful Walnut stock. Another of the receivers was sent to Gene Davis to put a Bartlein barrel on that Frank Green was playing with. It is an 8 groove LH gain twist, and taper bored. I thought you lapped a taper in, but how do you do that with a gain twist barrel. It has a beautiful walnut stock and is my Squirrel rifle. No I have never shot either. Last year I found out that our club had a monthly RF shoot and we have up to 25 shooters in attendance. I have a few Mod 37 Remingtons and decided to shoot the one that I bought from Mike Walker. It had a 8X Lyman Target spot on it. I think I was 13th or 14th out of 22. Our competition at our club is one of my friends shooting a 2500X that he bought from stiller, 7 or 8 Anschutz, several 40X, a few 52s, and several CZ452 and 457. I saw quickly that I couldn't compete and called a friend, Jon Hammond, WVU rifle coach. I asked Jon if he knew of and inexpensive barrelled actions. He said his assistant coach had a KK300 Walther for $600 or I could buy his Anschutz 1913 that he shot in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Said it had very few rounds and that he went to the Anschutz factory and they hand picked the receiver and barrel. I wasn't ready to pay $1200 for it. I bought a cheap maple uninletted Stith maple blank and inletted it, put a carbon fiber wrap on it and a home made tuner that I made about 15yrs ago and never used. I had 2 bricks of Fiocchi V315 Super Match pistol ammo that was part of a lot of items that I bought from Red Cornelison's estate after Red passed away. I was 3rd place the first match, 1st the second match, and 4th the next. This past weekend I decided to show up with some new Eley ammo and what a mistake-10th place out of 15 shooters.
Yes I bought Jon's Anschutz and I bought a Terry Leonard cedar carbon fiber stock and sent it to Keith Weil (Cigar Cop) to inlet and bed it. It is now in Kenny Youngblood's hands for a nice paint job. I have a Harrel's tuner, and the 5018 trigger assembly was sent to Todd Toenges(sp) to be brought to 1.5oz. I have 6 lots of Eley to start. Best thing is Joe Besche said he would wring it out for me.
All of this said you can see that I'm an equipment hound and will spend lots and lots of time with my equip., but hate to go to the range to practice. I do have a couple Shilen blanks on the shelf just in case. It will be up to Mark Penrod then.

Last edited:
Back