target paper

Bro.D

I have a Young v-block rail. When i run it fast I tend to get some vert in the group. One thing i want to try to help this situation is to use some target paper in the v-block. So...for those that have tried this, do you ues one, two or three pieces of paper between the block and barrel, and is there a need to incerase how much you tighten the block?

Ive never seen anybody put anything in there. Best thing to do is turn the barrel between centers in that area and make a ruff finish or blast with aluminum oxide in that area.

I had the same problem when I put on a new barrel. Could go as fast as I wanted to with the initial barrel but couldn't with either the second or third barrel. I don't think the problem is in the block but it could be. I put a bunch of release agent and bedded the barrels, just like the first one, and still couldn't bang it around like I once could. It added seconds to the time it took to shoot 10 shots and I didn't like it! Had to do it though or I would have an automatic big one....

Don't know how to fix it!!!

Only way I've cured vertical stringing is to shorten the barrel. Cut and crown it in 1/2" increments and it will stop. Just don't make another cut, or it can come back. With my new tuner I can dial it out but the weird thing is if the barrel hangs out of the block more than 18" the tuner will not help but make it worse.

Dale

I have to admit I haven't shot my rail in many years but I saw the same thing with it and my Heavy 1K gun. When I was on and could shoot fast I would get done and know I had strung things vertically because I shot to fast. Hit the stop too hard and the barrel motion is vertical. A softer stop, shorter barrel or a gentler hand may help.

Dave

Bro. D, one sheet of target paper is what Charles uses in his v-block. Said it will make a difference. I figure it's vibration control. Not many better with a rail than Charles.

Up in the state of Washington, one of the better rail shooters puts antivibration material on his barrels, . Experiments had shown that there was a vibration carry over from shot to shot when shooting fast. Another who does vibration related work uses oil filled chambers, sealed to the barrel with O rings for vibration tuning. Years back, a shooter, from that same area, who was a constant experimenter told me that he had had success putting some short of plastic material under the block. I believe that he mentioned that some shooters used target paper in that position. On the subject of shooting fast, over the years Gary Ocock has done very well shooting his rail. Its action does not have an ejector because he prefers to pick his cases from the bolt face. I think that we have a tendency to think that if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right.

On what Boyd mentions above about Gary O not using an ejector, it worked many times for him. Rail guns are a different animal. I don't believe you can crank 10 shots off on a rail, in a flash, without it letting you know. 5 shots in a flash works, but to get all 10 without a slight pause, dunno.

On what Boyd mentions above about Gary O not using an ejector, it worked many times for him. Rail guns are a different animal. I don't believe you can crank 10 shots off on a rail, in a flash, without it letting you know. 5 shots in a flash works, but to get all 10 without a slight pause, dunno.

I believe my gun is up to the task of hammering 10 shots rapidly, with an ejector, but my Kahuna's aren't big enough to do that without looking in the scope a couple or three times.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Back