Super Shoot and small groups

James A. Kelbly

I know it is hard to find out so I will just tell you, 3 of the 4 small groups at the Super Shoot were shot using March Scopes. Allen Arnette's very pretty 200 yard group of .098 was a March. Dean Ekstrom's .062 which tied Super Shoot record at 100 yards in 13.5 class was a March and Bart Sauter's 13.5lb 200 yard .161 group was also a March. Only Renard Alexander's .064 at 100 yards was a non March Leupold. This to me proves again the quality of the March scopes and less point of aim shift between shots. We have noticed around the world many small groups today are shot with March Scopes. Remember when building a custom rifle why not use a custom scope instead of those high production scopes many of the top shooters have abandoned. Shoot the best shoot a March!

Jim

I know it is hard to find out so I will just tell you, 3 of the 4 small groups at the Super Shoot were shot using March Scopes. Allen Arnette's very pretty 200 yard group of .098 was a March. Dean Ekstrom's .062 which tied Super Shoot record at 100 yards in 13.5 class was a March and Bart Sauter's 13.5lb 200 yard .161 group was also a March. Only Renard Alexander's .064 at 100 yards was a non March Leupold. This to me proves again the quality of the March scopes and less point of aim shift between shots. We have noticed around the world many small groups today are shot with March Scopes. Remember when building a custom rifle why not use a custom scope instead of those high production scopes many of the top shooters have abandoned. Shoot the best shoot a March!

Jim

Just shot my new 36x-55x-52 March that I picked up the last day of SS and all I can say is Impressive optics. Shot in the same hole at 200 on 36 and 55 power.
Rex

Since you brought the topic of scopes up.
17 of 20 10.5 guns used Leupold
8 of 10 grand agg used Leupold
THE WINNER used Leupold

A Ford or Chevy will get you across the finish line,if they don't break. A Porsche or Ferrari will make the trip worry free,so you can concentrate on driving.

Glenn

I have been using March scopes for quite a few years without worry. The winner of the SS , as I understand it from previous conversations with him, has sent back his Leupold scopes every year to be checked out. An excellent shooter from Texas has frozen his Leupolds and now they work extremely well. As far as I am concerned I want a worry free experience...
Never had a problem with a March that changing seating depth or powder charge did not fix.:cool:
Larry

The TOP shooter didn't abandon his Leupy. And he won quite handily with it.....;)
As the wise man once said, "Benchrest ain't about shooting small groups, its about shooting small aggs"!

And you really think a off the shelf Leupy is the same thing Mr. Boyer is using. Do you need some good swamp land?

Small aggs are not shot with big groups. Mr Boyer in shooting his small 2 gun Super Shoot record, shot quite a number of small groups, that is the only way to shoot small aggs. Small aggs may not have the smallest group of the match but they are small groups. The wise man you are listening to is not very wise, tell me how you can shoot a small agg without small groups! Your words (or his) not mine. Besides a wise man would not use the word ain't

With only about 800 true br scopes from March in seven years (about 1/3 of a years production of Leupold competition scope) March has won more than its share of BR matches.

I still would like to know your thinking on why you have to have a totally custom rifle and than put a high production scope on your highly competitive rifle. Makes no sense to me.

Jim

I still would like to know your thinking on why you have to have a totally custom rifle and than put a high production scope on your highly competitive rifle. Makes no sense to me.

Jim

Well, I was going to leave it alone as we obviously have a difference of opinion. But since you asked the above question, I will just say this: refer to post #3. That's why. Have a good one Jim.:)

If 90% of the rifles in competition have Leupold on them, then I would expect 90% of the top rifles at a Match would be Leupold. You did not answer my question, you just told me the results of a shoot that had 90% Leupolds at the match. Again why do you spend all the time and effort for a great shooting rifle with Bullets powder and brass, cleaning solution, rifle rest, bags and wind flags that are all basically custom for BR shooting and then put some high production scope on your rifle.

I have to ask, have you ever tried a March? Now I am not talking about just looking thru one, I am talking about using one in a match or for a time in practice, if you have not, you are sure missing the best mechanical scope on the planet. When you get Leupold backing you like Mr. Boyer than I can see why you would use a Leupold, when you are just a shooter buying a Leupold off the shelf, well good luck. We all have sent our Leupolds back to the factory at some point, cannot say that about March. Now Marches are not perfect but they sure are alot better than Leupolds, Sightrons, Weaver, or any other scope used in BR shooting. I think you shooters should investiate this scope issue alittle more, get past the cost of a March and see alot of Small groups and aggs are done with March and again pretty amazing for such a small number of them on the line.

Another question for you, do you think your Leupold is same quality that Mr. Boyer uses?

Jim

I am sorry but could not resist, I noticed this on your forum name listing

"wishIwasabettergrouper" Maybe that March scope would help. Sorry again just the smart ass in me as many of you know me as.

Jim

Hell, I thought "Good Grouper" was a fish dinner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, You can't buy a Mercedes for the price of a Volkswagen either.

If 90% of the rifles in competition have Leupold on them, then I would expect 90% of the top rifles at a Match would be Leupold. You did not answer my question, you just told me the results of a shoot that had 90% Leupolds at the match. Again why do you spend all the time and effort for a great shooting rifle with Bullets powder and brass, cleaning solution, rifle rest, bags and wind flags that are all basically custom for BR shooting and then put some high production scope on your rifle.

I have to ask, have you ever tried a March? Now I am not talking about just looking thru one, I am talking about using one in a match or for a time in practice, if you have not, you are sure missing the best mechanical scope on the planet. When you get Leupold backing you like Mr. Boyer than I can see why you would use a Leupold, when you are just a shooter buying a Leupold off the shelf, well good luck. We all have sent our Leupolds back to the factory at some point, cannot say that about March. Now Marches are not perfect but they sure are alot better than Leupolds, Sightrons, Weaver, or any other scope used in BR shooting. I think you shooters should investiate this scope issue alittle more, get past the cost of a March and see alot of Small groups and aggs are done with March and again pretty amazing for such a small number of them on the line.

Another question for you, do you think your Leupold is same quality that Mr. Boyer uses?

Jim

Jim,

You're a heck of a salesman! But in the end, debating this is just like debating Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, Beatles/Stones I'm afraid. :(
I guess I'm just a Leupold, Dodge, Coke, and Led Zep kind of guy! Oh yeah, I also like my bamboo-eating bear instead of those flying furry rodents too!

Last edited:
I am sorry but could not resist, I noticed this on your forum name listing

"wishIwasabettergrouper" Maybe that March scope would help. Sorry again just the smart ass in me as many of you know me as.

Jim

If you want to loan me one, I wouldn't turn you down. But even if I shot a .0005" agg with it, I'd still wish I was a better grouper! (the shooting kind, not the fish kind:p);)

Last edited:
lol..

Bugatti Veyron..has an advertised 1180 hp...owned by vw and it is a tweaked vw engine( well sort of..it is 2 v6's making a v12, with 4 turbos........)

Actually, it has a 16 cylinder engine. Amazing! That's like having 4 turbocharged four-bangers under the hood!:eek: Talk about gallons per mile...

Last edited:
Back