Stocks for heavy varmint

Wjesswheel

Was just looking through the nbrsa rules and having a hard time figuring what stock would be legal for heavy varmint for score. Would both of these stocks be legal and if not why.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 414
Read the rule book on stock dimensions. It will explain about heel taper, max width if forearm, etc.

Just looking at the photos you posted, can't tell.

Some stock makers, Terry Leonard for one, do offer custom stocks that have the additional 3# built in.

Short range benchrest stocks normally weigh 23 oz. and up. Many plastic stocks generally weigh in the 35 oz. range. I have one Kelblys stock that weighs 6# bare. Stocks like this are sometimes used in 600/1000 yard events where the Light Gun max weight is 17#. This Kelbly stock is mostly graphite whereas a common plastic stock of this configuration is mostly fiberglass over a foam core.

And remember, you can't shoot a 13.5#(HV) in 10.5#(LV) classes.

Was just looking through the nbrsa rules and having a hard time figuring what stock would be legal for heavy varmint for score. Would both of these stocks be legal and if not why.

Without actually measuring it, the one on the right appears to be OK, as long as the forearm is not over the 3 inch wide limit. That looks like a Savage Benchrest Class Stock.

The one on the left is close as well.

The majority of stock makers who build stocks specifically for NBRSA and IBS Varmint Classes make them legal if you place the Barreled Action in the stock correctly, or as intended.

A word of advice. (Some might disagree). Since you are building a true Heavy Varmint Rifle, get a stock that does have extra material built in rather than a added weight system to get the weight of the Rifle up. True, you will not be able to use it in a Light Varmint ever, but compromise in a Benchrest Rifle, with Competition as stiff as it is, generally is not that great of an idea.

Without actually measuring it, the one on the right appears to be OK, as long as the forearm is not over the 3 inch wide limit. That looks like a Savage Benchrest Class Stock.

The one on the left is close as well.

The majority of stock makers who build stocks specifically for NBRSA and IBS Varmint Classes make them legal if you place the Barreled Action in the stock correctly, or as intended.

A word of advice. (Some might disagree). Since you are building a true Heavy Varmint Rifle, get a stock that does have extra material built in rather than a added weight system to get the weight of the Rifle up. True, you will not be able to use it in a Light Varmint ever, but compromise in a Benchrest Rifle, with Competition as stiff as it is, generally is not that great of an idea.

Could not agree more.

The good thing about a laminated stock like in the photos is that if the butt taper is flatter than what the rule book allows, the butt stock can always be cut to where it is legal. You'd have to look in the rule book at the diagram that is in the back of the book. I don't remember the dimensions, but the butt stock can't be any flatter than a line from the center of the bore line so many inches in front of the bolt face to a certain point so many inches down at the butt of the rifle. All measured off the centerline of the bore which is generally done measuring off of a cleaning rod. I had a customer who wanted me to make a Shehane Tracker stock into a HV legal rifle. All it took was cutting the taper on the butt to match the rule guidelines. He shot it very well winning quite a bit with it in Nevada. Last I heard when he quit shooting, Jan Sarras wound up with the rifle.

I agree with what others have said but I prefer to start with a light stock, as it allows me to put the weight where I want/need it.

Hard to tell without actually doing measurements but I am not sure either is legal in IBS Light or Heavy Varmint class. They look like Long Range stocks to me, not enough drop in the rear for Varmint class.

stocks for heavy varmint

The second stock might make it . IT,s close on the drop of the heal.
I'm not sure about the stock width though It can't exceed 3 inches

Back