Steve Perry

Gene DeLoney

This afternoon I received a phone call from Matthew Perry, Steve's son, letting me know that Steve passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack.
Plans for services have not been made yet at this point. I will post more info as I receive it.
Steve was a controversial figure in the benchrest world, as most of us who knew him will contest too.
He definitely had a lot of enthusiasm (and opinions) But he did love the sport.

Sadly,
Gene DeLoney

Just one short story about Steven.
Back when Stan Ware hosted a live blog Bench-rest Steve and Paul were in a discussion about making bullets. At one point Steven said, “ I love pointing bullets” Paul responded, “I love to flatten them in the backstop”. Steven came unglued.

Another old timer gone

Steve was very passionate about bullet making and Benchrest; he had no filter, and was best taken in measured doses. Dennis Thornbury used to tell of Steve calling & going on & on; Dennis put down the phone, went and took a shower and when he came back Steve was still talking...
May he rest in peace.

Rest in Peace

When San Gabriel was still open he gave a lot of his time run the matches. He also put together two great bench rest schools including bullet making that was his big interest. He had a real passion for bench rest, group shooting that is never score. Steve RIP

Dave

Steve was very passionate about bullet making and Benchrest; he had no filter, and was best taken in measured doses. Dennis Thornbury used to tell of Steve calling & going on & on; Dennis put down the phone, went and took a shower and when he came back Steve was still talking...
May he rest in peace.

May they both rest in peace.

Last edited:
Lee

steve was very passionate about bullet making and benchrest; he had no filter, and was best taken in measured doses. Dennis thornbury used to tell of steve calling & going on & on; dennis put down the phone, went and took a shower and when he came back steve was still talking...
May he rest in peace.
francis
hope everything is fine with you bill brawand

Sorry

to hear about his sudden passing. My sympathy to the family and his friends. My recollection in some back and forth on this forum was that he was from Maine or at least had spent some time here before going West. Does anyone know for certain?

to hear about his sudden passing. My sympathy to the family and his friends. My recollection in some back and forth on this forum was that he was from Maine or at least had spent some time here before going West. Does anyone know for certain?

He was from a North East state and moved to California when he was a young child.

I remember Steve when I lived in Los Angeles and shooting at Fish Canyon.
I remember him and his passionate talks with Joe Wagner and others made the days there very interesting.
May he Rest in Peace.
Lew

Steve-Perry.jpg

This is a photo of Steve that was taken at the NBRSA Nationals in Midland one year. I don't remember what year it was. Steve was one of the characters of benchrest. He loved every aspect of the sport. I think that week was the last time I saw him at a match although he kept on shooting for quite awhile after that. Rest in Peace.

Yeah, I remember the year that Steve was going to beat Gene Buky's ass when Gene got to the Cactus. Kinda hilarious.
May he RIP

Everyone

has to have a goal. Some are realistic, others ?, but who are we to judge. GRHS.

Sorry to hear. Stephen also love drag racing and we used to talk about it, as well. He was passionate about shooting and willing to help anyone that needed it. -Al

Back