Spiral fluting on a Bridgeport

Is anybody here doing spiral fluting on a bridgeport style mill. I am referring specifically to a non CNC version. I am looking for a way to interface the x axis with a vertically mounted rotary table. I have seen horiz. mills with gear driven dividing heads and thought about doing something like this. I though about a gear motor to drive the rotary table with an encoder on the X axis lead screw. So what do you guys think?

What you need is a Universal Dividing Head. Works the same way on a knee mill as it does on a horizontal.

Better Idea-send it to chad, LOHEHE

Last edited:
What you need is a Universal Dividing Head. Works the same way on a knee mill as it does on a horizontal.

Better Idea-send it to chad, LOHEHE

What makes a dividing head " universal" is this the feature that allows it to interface with the x axis

Yes, they have a side shaft out to the rear and you remove the handle from the feed screw, on your mill, and replace it with a spur gear. Goggle "Universal Dividing Head" and you will see the difference. Not all dividing heads are the universal type.

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't make a mistake and drink soem of that cutting fluid! I thought at first it was his Soda Pop. :)

Thanks for the replies. I thought my dividing head would work but it lacks the drive capability of the universal model. I searched and found that there are import heads that come as a kit with gears ect so this would be an option. I will check around and see if I cant find something surplus

Thanks for posting this thread. This is something I myself have been thinking about for a long time. Please let me know what you come up with as Ill be doing the very same thing as you as soon as I know what I need to get.

Back