SPEC Rifles

tonykharper

SPEC Rifles
There has been a lot of talk about what a Spec rifle is and when is a Spec rifle no longer is a Spec rifle, etc. etc.

What a Spec rifle is or isn't can be defined in a number of ways. But as for Calfee Spec rifles they were first called that by Jim Pepper.

What exactly what he had in mind when he labelled them as that I'm not sure, but I think he was saying he was bidding on a rifle built by Bill Calfee to Bill's own specifications. Bill, if I'm wrong here please help me out.

When is a Spec rifle no longer a Spec rifle? Again, this is a hard question. Every competition rifle I know has been changed in some way(s) since it left the builder's shop. Some of them are changed during actual matches. Guys grasping at straws will try anything to help their scores even if most of the time their efforts are detrimental.

But from all the comments I've read across many different sites it is apparent most of the people posting about Spec rifles have never actually sat down and shot a Calfee or Patterson Spec rifle.

I have been lucky enough to have shot several Calfee Spec rifles, but only one Patterson Spec rifle.

They are special. The quality of workmanship in them is apparent right from the start. They have details other rifles don't share.

As a shooter one should be able to appreciate that.

Will you win more because you have one? Maybe, maybe not. Winning is a completely different subject. But if having a rifle you really enjoy shooting keeps you motivated it will help.

The one Jeff Patterson Spec rifle I shot was very special. The fit and finish are second to none. They are worth every penny you pay for one.

If you have the opportunity shoot one you will be impressed.

TKH

I would respectfully disagree with the spec description relative to “specification” particulars.
FWIW, when these came on the scene I would talk with Bill every few weeks and had more than a few conversations when the concept was born.
Not that it has any bearing on anything but my recollection was that these were “ spec” rifles in the same vein as builders build spec houses, no particular buyer in mind at the time as opposed to commission builds. The very first one going to Stump in Georgia.
No big deal either way.

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree with the spec description relative to “specification” particulars.
FWIW, when these came on the scene I would talk with Bill every few weeks and had more than a few conversations when the concept was born.
Not that it has any bearing on anything but my recollection was that these were “ spec” rifles in the same vein as builders build spec houses, no particular buyer in mind at the time as opposed to commission builds. The very first one going to Stump in Georgia.
No big deal either way.

Tim,

I think we agree that Calfee Spec rifles were not built to anyone's specifications other than Bills. But they were built for particular buyers.

They certainly were not built in the same vein as builders builds spec houses. Spec houses are built to a third parties' requirement such as a housing authority, city, state, or federal requirements. Calfee Spec rifles were built to Bill Calfee's requirements.

Before and after the Spec series Bill built project rifles or what could be called custom rifles for customers that supplied the parts. Such as action, barrel, bedded stock, trigger, and tuner. Bill assembled the parts into a rifle. If Bill didn't like the combination of parts, he refused the job.

This is a part of RFBR history, and as such it is important it be reported accurately. If I am wrong, please correct me.

TKH

I've always enjoyed seeing & competing against not just Spec rifles but well known named rifles as well. I tend to be pretty nonchalant approaching any match but when you see them, you realize you'd better turn your hat around & get focused. I enjoy the challenge.
Keith

I've always enjoyed seeing & competing against not just Spec rifles but well known named rifles as well. I tend to be pretty nonchalant approaching any match but when you see them, you realize you'd better turn your hat around & get focused. I enjoy the challenge.
Keith

Keith,

Beating Spec rifles nearly became an obsession for me. I drove many miles just to compete against someone I thought would be shooting one.

It made me a better shooter, but I took a bunch of whooping's in the process.

TKH

I've always found great pleasure in observing

I've always found great pleasure in observing and engaging in friendly competition, not only with Spec rifles but also with renowned branded rifles. Typically, I maintain a relaxed demeanor when approaching any match. However, once I catch sight of those rifles, it becomes evident that I must shift gears, concentrate intensely, and give my best performance. Embracing the challenge is something I truly relish.Alpilean Review

Tim,

I think we agree that Calfee Spec rifles were not built to anyone's specifications other than Bills. But they were built for particular buyers.

They certainly were not built in the same vein as builders builds spec houses. Spec houses are built to a third parties' requirement such as a housing authority, city, state, or federal requirements. Calfee Spec rifles were built to Bill Calfee's requirements.

Before and after the Spec series Bill built project rifles or what could be called custom rifles for customers that supplied the parts. Such as action, barrel, bedded stock, trigger, and tuner. Bill assembled the parts into a rifle. If Bill didn't like the combination of parts, he refused the job.

This is a part of RFBR history, and as such it is important it be reported accurately. If I am wrong, please correct me.

TKH

Built for particular buyers???
Friend Harper, might you recall the early ones in particular were built and then sold via auction, to the highest bidder or negotiated buyer. No particulars there other than cleared check, unless I misunderstand your reference.

Built for particular buyers???
Friend Harper, might you recall the early ones in particular were built and then sold via auction, to the highest bidder or negotiated buyer. No particulars there other than cleared check, unless I misunderstand your reference.

Friend Tim,

We are both getting older, so I thought I had better double check my facts.

Here is what I found:

None of the Calfee Spec rifles were auctioned off. They were presold like Jeff has done with his Spec series.

There was a lot of talk about an auction for Spec 5, but it never happened. Alan Bates bought the rifle before the auction and Calfee came up with that horrible name "Black Death".

The rifle that stirred up all the talk about Calfee rifles being auctioned was "Nite Train". This rifle was auctioned off and there is a lot of rumors about how much it brought. Many thought their bid should have got it. Some say it went for more than 10K, others say it was north of 15K. I have no idea.

My info came from the horse's mouth, (No disrespect intended) so I think it is correct.

TKH

Last edited:
This will be the last comment I make but, Tony, you are incorrect.
I was DIRECTLY involved in the first one before and durring, and at least one other from the SW went to an unknown Dr. Who, did, in fact, bid for it and in turn, after it turned out to be not quite up to expectation, after he was rebuffed by the WLM over concerns with a “ you’re not a good enough shooter to make proper assessment” , ( nice) he sought out Chet Amick for assistance. Told to me by Chester directly.
He routinely posted here about leaving proper bids on his recorder until Wilbur had enough.
If the horse in question is said WLM, whatever skills possessed as a builder, truth is not among them.
You may check what you wish but, friend, them there are facts.

Last edited:
This will be the last comment I make but, Tony, you are incorrect.
I was DIRECTLY involved in the first one before and durring, and at least one other from the SW went to an unknown Dr. Who, did, in fact, bid for it and in turn, after it turned out to be not quite up to expectation, after he was rebuffed by the WLM over concerns with a “ you’re not a good enough shooter to make proper assessment” , ( nice) he sought out Chet Amick for assistance. Told to me by Chester directly.
He routinely posted here about leaving proper bids on his recorder until Wilbur had enough.
If the horse in question is said WLM, whatever skills possessed as a builder, truth is not among them.
You may check what you wish but, friend, them there are facts.

Friend Tim,

I see you are invoking the Chet Amick name. There was a time I tried to run him down.

I wanted to shoot with him. Well really, I wanted to shoot against him. I had heard many tales about what a shooter he was.

But I could never find where he shot. Never found his name on a match report.

I know it is too late now, but it would still be interesting to see his scores. Harry Deneen's are still impressive.

Whatever the facts, one fact is for sure. I miss spelled Nite Train. I called it Night Train. I have corrected my post.

TKH

You could not have tried too hard.
He shot only at Haggerstown and not in sanctioned matches.
Chet was all about learning about what made RFBR rifles run and building them. He never went anyplace else because of major heart issues that finally caught up with him. Even when Gary Loughnot and I went down and shot MD state champ match and visit with him he simply sat and watched the match and his rifles perform.
He often shot with Dean, Ray Price, Harry, Holbrunner, Wilmouth, Stith, Myers, etc. but shot mostly as a test mechanism.
He was pretty humble, never post anywhere and his accomplishments usually promoted by many others. A very quiet, honest, unassuming guy……all attributes lacking in ol Billy.

You could not have tried too hard.
He shot only at Haggerstown and not in sanctioned matches.
Chet was all about learning about what made RFBR rifles run and building them. He never went anyplace else because of major heart issues that finally caught up with him. Even when Gary Loughnot and I went down and shot MD state champ match and visit with him he simply sat and watched the match and his rifles perform.
He often shot with Dean, Ray Price, Harry, Holbrunner, Wilmouth, Stith, Myers, etc. but shot mostly as a test mechanism.
He was pretty humble, never post anywhere and his accomplishments usually promoted by many others. A very quiet, honest, unassuming guy……all attributes lacking in ol Billy.

I tried pretty hard. I heard he shot at Hagerstown. I went to a couple of matches at the Izaac Walton club there. He was never there although I did run into everyone else you mentioned.

Don't know if you have ever been there but you parked at the top of the hill. There was a straight drop off down to the benches. Always worried someone would drive off that cliff and come right through benches. There was no guard rail at the top. Quite a job to haul your stuff up and down that hill.

If he never shot registered matches, I now know why I never saw him.

You mentioned Dean. I guess you are talking about Wendel Dean. I was talking to Wendel one day at Piney Hill.

You may know Wendel shot more 250 24 X targets than anybody in IR 50/50 history.

I asked Wendel as you are shooting your target and you notice you are beginning to hit a little high and maybe a little to the left do you make a point of aim correction to center back up?

Wendel looked me right in the eye and said my rifle doesn't do that. When it decides to miss it just does it, it don't leak them out.

That is all I ever got out of him.

TKH

That is where the state mates were, complete with their 30’ tall windflag poles.
We shot a night UNL match there before the state 3 gun…. First time I met Denny Antonious and Wendel. Denny spent entire match under a blanket at bench, just the muzzle sticking out.
I won the 10.5 lb. Until Wendel protest me knocking me to 2nd. Oh well.

That is where the state mates were, complete with their 30’ tall windflag poles.
We shot a night UNL match there before the state 3 gun…. First time I met Denny Antonious and Wendel. Denny spent entire match under a blanket at bench, just the muzzle sticking out.
I won the 10.5 lb. Until Wendel protest me knocking me to 2nd. Oh well.

Whatever testing Chet may have done and what he learned from it has been lost.

Wish he had shared it with others so we all could have gained from it.

I heard a few of his rifles were passed on but I never heard of anyone having much success with them.

Although one pays a price for being open and vocal these days, it is still important if we really want to advance our sport.

TKH

Interesting posts. I don't recall ever being worried over a "Named" rifle at a match, but I was always concerned the other guys might have better ammo. I always felt that my rifle was good enough for the task at hand. But, I digress, I'm falling back to the ammo post. LOL In a way I named my rifles, the blue one, the red one, and Sporter. But, my old Cadillac is "Sally".

Interesting posts. I don't recall ever being worried over a "Named" rifle at a match, but I was always concerned the other guys might have better ammo. I always felt that my rifle was good enough for the task at hand. But, I digress, I'm falling back to the ammo post. LOL In a way I named my rifles, the blue one, the red one, and Sporter. But, my old Cadillac is "Sally".

Kent,
There was never a doubt. Your rifles were always more than good enough!!
TKH

Tony, I just cleaned up and oiled my old lathe, contemplating on a new build for a friend. I sold him a barrel that I had on hand, and ended up telling him that if he absolutely couldn't get anyone else to do the build, that I'd consider it. I'd like to discuss chambers and present day ammo with you some time. Latest Eley ammo I have on hand dates back to 2010. LOL I'm sure everything's changed by now. Your rifles seem to work well.

Tony, I just cleaned up and oiled my old lathe, contemplating on a new build for a friend. I sold him a barrel that I had on hand, and ended up telling him that if he absolutely couldn't get anyone else to do the build, that I'd consider it. I'd like to discuss chambers and present day ammo with you some time. Latest Eley ammo I have on hand dates back to 2010. LOL I'm sure everything's changed by now. Your rifles seem to work well.

Although a few have had some success with Eley the last few years it hasn't been me.

In my opinion the barrels that shoot the new stuff well are on the large side and have very seasoned chambers.

It seems to me that the lead (bullets) in the current offerings from Eley are too hard. Too much antimony, not enough pure lead. In my chambers Eley seems to lead up pretty quick, sometimes in 30-40 rounds.

Yes, I know, if you make them too soft, they can smear and lead the barrel. But making them too hard isn't the answer. There is a sweet spot somewhere in between. Right now, I think Lapua has the better formula.

When you push an Eley bullet into the rifling you can actually feel a crunch that you don't feel when pushing Lapua in the same chamber.

You may want to hang on to that old Eley. You could do a lot of testing, and spend a lot of money, trying to find new stuff that shoots as well.

TKH

Last edited:
I am really impressed with your article. The information you share will be an important document for me to learn more about this topic. fnf

Back