"Smallest group size or your money back."

andre3k

This is what Lee claims for their collet neck sizing die. I know most BR shooters use bushing neck sizing dies, but what separates those from the collet die and which one produces less runout. They even post a 1000 yard world record being set using their dies in the early 90's.

Is anyone using these dies for BR competition in 2009?:confused:

THEY DO NOT MARKET TO BENCHREST SHOOTERS FOR A REASON. the small group was shot with a set of CUSTOM handloader dies. i shoot a lot of non-BENCHREST comp with lee loaders. no real experience with the collet. have one, no real work with it yet.
mike in co

Collet dies work as good as any if they are set up right. They are straight and can be adjusted for neck tension from light to tight, its just something more to throw into the equation of that one great group...I have used them for competition pistol for years, and I will continue to do so because of the great results...I don't get time to play much anymore, but as an instructor I have to keep my edge...good shooting, Gary.

In terms of actual formal 'Benchrest', I have no idea how many get used, but I'm guessing the number is fairly small (i.e. approaching zero). They do make one in 6 PPC, so maybe someone here could try one out and see how they work in comparison to a Wilson neck die in the same caliber :rolleyes:

I will say that for those of us stuck with factory or 'larger' match chambers, the collet dies can do a pretty good job of neck-only sizing. I've had some instances where reducing Winchester .308 brass from a fired neck diameter of .343"+ down to around .329" prior to seating... using a Redding Type 'S' bushing die actually induced some runout; Redding recommends doing it in three (or more) steps. The Lee collet die will do it in one fell swoop with very minimal runout.

Then again, it will turn on ya and eat yer cases in an eye blink. As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of when, not if, it will turn a case inside out :mad:

I use that Lee die for my 260.

After sizing the neck, I have at most .002 runout and that's a bad case, generally .001-.0015. So far I have no complaints, the wind gets me more than the runout :D

the wind gets me more than the runout

YES................. Now that's an honest REAL world answer...

ME TOO GTO...!Ha!

I use them in .223 and .308. Great dies. But, these are fired in factory chambers. It's an apples and oranges thing.
Custom chamber. Custom die.
The collet dies add another option. The case is blown out for that rifle/chamber. Then the collet die is real handy. Until you have to full length size. Usually 3-4 reloads. It's a quicker way to size also.
De cap and size neck. No trimming. Load them up.
Even works in my Garand .308. :)

just got one

I just got a collet die for 22 hornet to use for neck sizing. The die seems to do a minimal amount of sizing and neck tension is good. I have not shot these enough to see if accuracy is any better (factory Ruger hornet).

Regards, Ron

Lee collet dies do a great job if you want to neck size only, but only with factory chambers, unless! If you turn your necks at all, you will have to get a different size mandrel from Lee as they will not size the neck down enough to hold the bullet. Been there, done it. I cleaned up a set of cases for my factory 22ppc usa. I loaded the cases, seated the bullets and by the time I got to the range, most of the bullets had settled down into the case. I could pull the bullets in or out by hand. So much for accurate seating depths! :) Randy J.

Works for me!

The collet dies work great with my 30-30 BR guns. They load very concentric and accurate loads. I use the collet die for the neck, and a ring die for the base. I never have to size the case anywhere else. Accuracy when in tune ranges between zero's and two's when I do my part.

Where the 6PPC is concerned, I wouldn't consider it to be the best option. It might work fine if you had a full length die that didn't size the neck. The problem arises when you need to bump the shoulder back to allow for easy bolt closing. Most do this with a custom die that sizes the whole case from neck to base only about .001". This completely eliminates the reason for a collet die in 6PPC.

The only reason it works fine for the 30-30 is the fact that there is no need to bump the shoulder. The bolt just never gets tight on closing because of the 15 degree shoulder angle. I use the ring die to make sure the case is never tight on extraction.

Michael

While we are on the subject.

Can these collet dies be used for Ackley Improved versions of the cartridge?

Their no stupid questions.:)

Concho Bill

Ackley Improved

Can these collet dies be used for Ackley Improved versions of the cartridge?

Since the only part of the case to enter the collet is the case neck, yes, you can use a collet die on Ackley Improved cases. I use a .223 Lee collet die for my AI.
I have found the the biggest problems folks have with the Lee collet die is not reading and/or understanding the directions.
There are 2 important things to remember when using a Lee collet die:
1. Never raise the ram on an empty die, as this can cause problems with the collet, and
2. The die requires 25 lbs. of force to size the case neck. This doesn't mean on the press handle but 25 lbs. on the collet. The die should be setup in the press to kiss the case neck just enough to size it to accept a bullet for seating, then locked down.
One of the best advantages of using the collet die is that there is no need for lube.
If you should try one, I'm sure you will be impressed with it's simplicity and function. It is easy on brass and your loads will be consistent.

For $54 I may have a custom collet die made for my .263 neck 6 ppc. Just to see if there is any measure difference between that and my redding bushing die.

Several years ago..

For $54 I may have a custom collet die made for my .263 neck 6 ppc. Just to see if there is any measure difference between that and my redding bushing die.

I sent Lee $50, plus three fired brass, and had a custom collet die made for my 30/47 Hunter Rifle. I had used the 308 collet die for my hunting rifle for years with good results. Back it came along with a bullet seater, a little powder measure, and a case holder. I've been using it ever since along with a full length Redding type S bushing die. I only use the Redding die now for shoulder set back without the bushing. I only have to set my shoulders back about every tenth loading. I don't know if it means much, but I won the 2004 Gulf Coast Regional using this die. For me, it has less run-out than the Redding die and of course without having to use any lube, it's easier.

Give them a try...the price is right.

virg

Have any of you experimented with different diameter mandrels? For some folk this is one of the big downfall of the system as opposed to a bushing die in that they can't easily adjust the neck tension - it is what it is, no more or less.

I've seen where people recommended chucking the mandrel in a drill press and sanding it down a thou or so... always seemed like getting a consistent diameter over the length would be problematic. The only area where the mandrel 'sizes' the neck is towards the top end, but if you don't re-size the rest of it as well, wouldn't it affect things when you pull the case back out of the die (over that minutely larger portion of the mandrel)?

I've also heard of people ordering a slightly undersized mandrel from Lee for something like $6 or so (+ S&H)... anybody here tried that?

Lastly... the mandrel doesn't look like the world's most complicated piece of machining - seems like a half-decent machinist or gunsmith should be able to chuck it in a lathe and take a thou or two off the OD easily enough? Or would there be complications when you have to take it out and swap ends to get the whole length again?

This die...

Have any of you experimented with different diameter mandrels? For some folk this is one of the big downfall of the system as opposed to a bushing die in that they can't easily adjust the neck tension - it is what it is, no more or less.

I've seen where people recommended chucking the mandrel in a drill press and sanding it down a thou or so... always seemed like getting a consistent diameter over the length would be problematic. The only area where the mandrel 'sizes' the neck is towards the top end, but if you don't re-size the rest of it as well, wouldn't it affect things when you pull the case back out of the die (over that minutely larger portion of the mandrel)?

I've also heard of people ordering a slightly undersized mandrel from Lee for something like $6 or so (+ S&H)... anybody here tried that?

Lastly... the mandrel doesn't look like the world's most complicated piece of machining - seems like a half-decent machinist or gunsmith should be able to chuck it in a lathe and take a thou or two off the OD easily enough? Or would there be complications when you have to take it out and swap ends to get the whole length again?

This die is excellent for what it is designed to do; neck size cases with no lub and no bushing. It does have limitations. It does not replace in all respects conventional full length, custom dies. It sizes the neck almost all the way to the shoulder (even Wilson bushing dies size only about an 1/8"), and the mandrel is very uniform. I see no variance with my .001" dial indicator. One can tighten neck tension two ways. 1. turn the die in another 1/4 turn beyond the recommended amount and 2. take off about a .001" with either a chucked up mandrel using emery cloth or in a lathe. Beyond that one runs out of clamping pressure of the collet since the fingers meet.

The ease this die provides in my case for general neck sizing, far exceeds its limitations. For the price...it has proved a great convience and an accurate reloading tool.

Virg

Back