Size of gap for barrel in stock ?

Hi Gang:

How much of a gap do I need between the barrel and the stock on a sporting barrel with a wooden stock for good accuracy?

Thanks,

Zeke

An eighth inch??? Certainly more than the old "dollar bill" trick....... really depends on the style, brand and wood. I open mine up until I can hold the gun by the pistol grip with one hand and smartly rap the forend with the other and it won't clack. The "smart rap" is hard enough to simulate the effect of recoil.

al

The rifle itself can tell you that. Years ago I found that some rifles don't need big gaps to be free-floated and accurate, especially at the top of the inletting (visible junction of wood and barrel). The bottom half of the inletting was more important and needed a bigger gap. The top (visible) part for some rifles only needed a small gap that was barely visible.

My rule of thumb--the smallest gap that works is the goal, bearing in mind that wood moves with changes in humidity and a gap must work under all conditions.

Unless of course the rifle likes a little pressure between the barrel and the forearm tip. I intended to glass bed my Reminton 700 VLS / .204 Ruger, because it had a "lump" in the barrel channel about 1 1/2" long and 2" from the forearm tip. Before I took the pressure point out and glass-bedded the action, I decided to shoot it and see what it would do with the forearm tip pressure. Good thing I checked. My best load to date shot .186" center-to-center for 5 shots at 100 yards. So, sometimes these rules aren't always cast in stone. :D

Back