Shimming a Tuner

dnttech

Hi. First time posting on this forum and wondering if I may ask a question in reference to shimming an Ezell tuner. This tuner is used on a KIDD barreled 1022 which measures .920. I would also like to be able to use the same tuner on a Lilja barreled CZ455 which measures .900.

Obviously, there is a .020 difference between the 2 barrels, and in order to use the same tuner, I would have to shim the tuner for the Lilja barrel.

My question is in reference to any problems which may adversely affect the performance of the Lilja barrel and/or the tuner. Would this pose an issue with harmonics or have any other drawbacks to which I have not given any thought. I have quite a bit of stainless .010 shim stock and could easily cut a couple of small strips to fit.

I realize the single correct answer is simply buy another tuner....unfortunately, my wife has indicated that any more money spent on rimfire modifications in the near future is going to lead to my demise! Hope she was just kidding.....lol

Thank you to anyone who would be willing to offer any suggestions or advice.

Bob

I have made shims from brass shim stock on the Harrell tuners to get a fit. I couldn't tell any difference in un-shimmed vs. shimmed.
Dave

Making sleeves on the lathe is a normal operation for me. I have bought a lot of used tuners in the past. Usually they are thicker than this example more along the lines of putting a .900 tuner on an .850 bbl.

Not a problem

I use shims on several different barrels without a problem. I turn mine out of aluminum then slit them length wise. If it's less than .005 I just use aluminum shim stock. I also use a little rosin between all the pieces so there is no need to over tighten. So long as you have a good snug fit between all the pieces works fine. To loose a fit and you'll distort the tuner and have a difficult time getting it back on the larger barrel later.

Dennis

Shims - Just a Thought

Over the years I have used various Shim Stock in various sizes.
Guess what the very best Shim Stock I have found is aluminum cans.
For awhile I used Coke & Coors cans because the were slightly different.
For the last 5 years I have stuck with Coors because they had a very uniform thickness.
A good way to cut the shims is a good pair of scissors!
Most of the time just one shim but have used two without any problem.

I have mainly shimmed Tuners, Triggers & Scope Bases.

Over the years I have used various Shim Stock in various sizes.
Guess what the very best Shim Stock I have found is aluminum cans.
For awhile I used Coke & Coors cans because the were slightly different.
For the last 5 years I have stuck with Coors because they had a very uniform thickness.
A good way to cut the shims is a good pair of scissors!
Most of the time just one shim but have used two without any problem.

I have mainly shimmed Tuners, Triggers & Scope Bases.

Hi.

I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question. I wanted to ensure i wasn't entering an unknown variable into the mix that I might have to deal with later.

Again, thank you for the help

Bob

Ha ha

I prefer Arizona Ice Tea cans myself, I think they use a little thicker aluminum in the taller cans. I wonder if cans of imported beer are metric?

Dennis

Paper is good too

I have used regular "writin" paper, for various things, over the years. Once compressed, it holds fast to about anything. I use computer lables trimmed to fit the inside of my scope rings. They hold fast as well. In fact, the tailstock on my lathe is currently shimmed with "Writin" paper. It never changes.

Pete

Now, doesn't Pete sound like some Ol' Yankee?
Ah, but so am I, so it all makes sense at least to me. :):)

Dave

Back