Setting up a die

Easy E

I am switching bullets for my .270 and I know what my overal length is using a camparitor (sp). I bought a new seating die (not competition die) for the new bullets and need to set it up to match the OL. Do I just put a fire formed piece of brass and the new bullet in the press and keep adjusting until I match the OL? Am I missing anything? Don't be too hard on me I'm new at this.

Easy, I think you're making this too hard :)

CHUCK the comparitor (well, put it away anyway...) and measure oal with a caliper. FIRST of all, what do you WANT for your oal??? Factory length? Magazine length? Or do you think you can hit the rifling lands?? I guess if you're actually hitting the lands there may be a use for the comparitor, eventually....

So pick an oal.

Now, do just like you're doing. Thru trial and error (actually just keep screwing the stem down-down-down) until you hit the oal you like and lock it.

Now, in the future you may want to change. BUT you may like to be able to "come back to it easy." So set aside a round and mark it, maybe "oal Feb 2010" or something. Next time you want to find it just back the stem off, run the loaded round in and screw down 'til it hits. Lock it.

hth

al

Back