SEB NEO vs Farley Coax II

Shooters,

I am trying to determine the quality differences between the SEB NEO and the Farley Coax II bench rests. Do quantitative differences exist when shooting 500-1000 yards with a 20 lb rifle? Both rests look quite good and I am usually a big fan of American made products.

I would like to rely on the impressions of shooters with greater experience than I. Currently, I am using a Randolph machine rest but am intrigued by the concept of a joystick.

Thank you, Dale

I would like to thank all for the replies. I am amazed at the backorder situation with both rests. I spoke to Mike and his backorder time is quite long. Farley is somewhat shorter. I am not fully confident in my understanding of the counterweight issue with the SEB NEO. I really must rely on the people at each manufacturer. I will be purchasing one of the rests but, until then, my Randolph is doing the job.

http://benchrest.com/images/icons/icon7.png
Again, thanks guys

Last edited:
The farley is nice...the Seb NEO (especially the Mike Ratigan version) is better. And yes, I do have a farley (used to have two for over seven years) and have two NEO's since last fall.

Hovis

I'm assuming you are not shooting 1,000 yard benchrest with a 20-pound rifle, but something else, like F-class?

Reason I ask is that the rest rules for 1K, at least in IBS, are different than for short range, and an officious Range Officer can disqualify you. I have only the original Farley (not the Mk II), but it, for example, required a spacer between the rest plate and the bag in order to be legal. Well, easy enough to do with that model; I made a permanent fix, but it required a mill. Less machine-intensive fixes would be possible. I'm unsure about the others. There have been several styles of "bag containers" with Farley, for example.

In the past there have been some posts on some sites/forums questioning whether or not individual rests were legal as delivered for 1K BR -- the old "at least 1/2 inch of sand between any part of the rest 'bag restraining device' and the stock" portion of the rule. A search for "illegal rests" or something like that might give you all the correspondence.

I'm going to guess that with either the Farley or the Seb that (1) if there is a problem, (2) there will be a quick fix, and remember, this is only for IBS & Pennsylvania long-range benchrest competition. But if you do shoot that, whichever you choose, check before driving all that way to a match.

Good luck with your shooting

The farley is nice...the Seb NEO (especially the Mike Ratigan version) is better. And yes, I do have a farley (used to have two for over seven years) and have two NEO's since last fall.

Hovis

I have a new Neo, but can you tell me what the MIKE RATIGAN version is???

The Mike Ratigan version:

1. Hardened points on legs.
2. One piece bag
3. No uplift help spring
4. Has adjustable counter weight
5. I think the side bag tensioners are slightly different (at least from the original Neo design).

Hovis

get a Magnum Metal and be done with it/or a JAK

Keith in NC

I looked at both the MM and the JAK. Both look great and are very cost friendly. I think I will call both and ask a few questions about their products.
Thank you for your to-the-point reply. I appreciated your information.
Dale:cool:

Shadetree

Look at the shadetree Engineering and accuracy rest top also under $400 just use it on your base and have fun. my dad shoots one in competition and loves his. Butch Lambert is who sells them and you will not meet a nicer person and you can ask him questions on this website since he is on here often. I use an original Farley and like it but when I use my dads I have no complaints. I do like the elevation being centered under the rest instead of at the side like my Farley. you can use the extra $600 to put into another barrel or the endless need for other parts.

Back