screw-on plastic sunshades

F

f d shuster

Trying to find a source for the milky white plastic screw-on sunshades that I see in use once in a while. Approximately 10" in length, or longer. Need one to fit Nightforce Benchrest (56mm objective) and Leupold Comp. Series (45mm). Thanks

Trying to find a source for the milky white plastic screw-on sunshades that I see in use once in a while. Approximately 10" in length, or longer. Need one to fit Nightforce Benchrest (56mm objective) and Leupold Comp. Series (45mm). Thanks

Contact Sinclair Int'l. They may have or know where to get the tubes you are looking for. A better solution is a Mirage shield that is held on the barrel by velcro.

They were in vogue many moons ago, but once it was discovered that they trapped heat inside, and created a mirage all of their own, the fad quickly dissolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
screw-on sunshade.

Contact Sinclair Int'l. They may have or know where to get the tubes you are looking for. A better solution is a Mirage shield that is held on the barrel by velcro.

David: Not looking for them to combat mirage. Need the length to keep the objective lens dry when the wind is blowing the rain onto and into the front objective lens of the scope(s). Got wiped out today at 500 mtrs. in just that situation. 'Scope & rifle were unusable.

David: Not looking for them to combat mirage. Need the length to keep the objective lens dry when the wind is blowing the rain onto and into the front objective lens of the scope(s). Got wiped out today at 500 mtrs. in just that situation. 'Scope & rifle were unusable.

If the wind is blowing rain on the front objective lens of your scope, it is also blowing rain down the bore of the rifle, either way, me thinks you are screwed, unless you have devised a way to keep water out of the bore.

I seem to remember

If the wind is blowing rain on the front objective lens of your scope, it is also blowing rain down the bore of the rifle, either way, me thinks you are screwed, unless you have devised a way to keep water out of the bore.

a tale told to me by a couple of grunts when they got back from Viet Nam. One of the ways to keep a dry rifle bore involved the judicious use of a condom over the crown.

Bill: Yes, I was very concerned about that. Got the rifle home & dried it out, bore was the first part to get worked on. Cleaned it, 'scoped it with my Hawkeye & all looks good as new. A Krieger stainless. Since then have found an older, used screw-on "rain" shade, mylar painted flat black on the outside surface, bought from Nightforce "a few years ago", as stated by the seller.

Checking out another source for another to fit my Leupold Comp. Series w/ 45mm objectives.

Guy who has the Nightforce said he did have the mirage problems, spray painted flat black on the outside & problem solved.

Condoms don't affect group size AFAIK but getting up to put them on might.... ummm, no pun intended.

f.d. shuster I'm thinking Gammon wasn't worried about after the shooting :) getting the bore wet doesn't hurt it in any way....shooting with water in the bore though isn't a recipe for great groups!

alinwa: Trying to hit the 2" diameter 10 ring ( 1" dia. X ring) at 500 mtrs. was all but impossible anyway with both the NF BR 12-42X and the Nikon 82mm spotter, completely wiped out by the rain. Could not spot the first shot, so had no idea where to hold for the remaining 5 for score. All a crap shoot, at best.

I've looked at the bores on a number of barrels, with the Hawkeye, and have often seen pitting in the first inch or so, ( not mine), guess it could have been the result of a wet bore, so was very concerned about that. Yes, a stainless barrel (Krieger), but stainless will rust.

Anyone with any common sense would have pulled off the line under those conditions, but I was on a roll with some excellent score totals at 1,2,3 & 400 mtrs., so hated to give that all up. Was able to take a Third Place, still better than a DNF.:eek:

a tale told to me by a couple of grunts when they got back from Viet Nam. One of the ways to keep a dry rifle bore involved the judicious use of a condom over the crown.[/QUO
I knew about that but the only problem would be, in my case, finding one small enough, EH!!! On the serious side those finger protectors, can't think of the name for them, but they looked like, real small condoms, I use to use on my rifles when I was hunting. They worked good. But I agree with John.

A number of years ago, it rained a lot during a short range match at Visalia, blowing in from the NNW. The direction of fire was north. A friend, Del Bishop, who was a very experienced competitor, told me that he ended up with a ring in his bore, near the muzzle, that he believed was caused by shooting with water in the bore. Ask any of the competitors that shot with him, or those that shot his bullets. Del didn't miss much.

Clear cylinder
The safeyt tubes for floursent lite might work for this. Home Depot and other stores of this type may have them.
I shoot rimfire inside heated building and they are very helpful.

a good source of VERY long tubes is to go by your CAD department (if you have one) or find someone that is a CAD'er and have a look-see at what their rolls of paper come in. Some will come in white, plastic tubes that are around 30" or so... i ship 20" and under barrels in mine...as the ones I have are too small for my sunshades...but, there's an off chance that there are larger diameter ones!

How did flat black paint on the outside of the tube solve the problem, since Caltech / NASA research indicates that black absorbs the most heat: http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/image_galleries/markers.html ??? Should have exasperated the problem. :confused:

abintx: I have no idea, just going by what the guy said, "It solved the mirage problem" for him. I don't see heat as a problem: Heavy overcast, temps in the mid 40's, fire 5 shots for score + sighters in 7 minutes, a 7 minute (or longer break), 7 minutes to fire, etc. etc. Not planning on using it on a regular basis, only at those rare times when blowing rain is wiping out the scope objective. Used as a "rain" shade only.

Boyd: Damage to the bore from an "obstruction" was a definate concern, and I'll have to take extra precautions if it ever happens again. Easiest solution is to stop shooting.

We've found that long attached shades in strong winds can cause sufficient leverage to change a rifle's zero (long distances here). My answer iis to carry a piece of vinyl upholstery fabric that I drape over the scope, action & ammo.

You might find something similar would work as long as it has enough stiffness to carry the projection sufficiently forward of the scope bell.

John: At all times when not firing and lining up the rifle with the next distances target, I kept the scope & the entire rifle covered with a heavyweight military jacket/shirt that has been treated with Scotch-Guard. It worked until the wind & rain became heavier, then It was impossible to keep up with the rain covering the objective. The 56mm objective on the NF did a "good" job of collecting as much water as possible.

I have a mylar screw-on "rain shade" headed in my direction, will give it a try, try to solve any problems that may crop up & if it proves to be more of a dis-advantage (can't think of anything that would be more of a dis-advantage than a scope that is not usable), then will give up on the idea. Maximum distance fired in these match's is 500 meters.

The first source I tried to contact. Phone has been disconnected.

Back