scope what pwr

N

neal

I am looking at the leupold mark 4 tactical scope to go on a .308 They offer it in two power ranges 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 was looking for some suggestions on the one that would be the best choice. I currently only shoot out at 200 yds but the vision is not good as once was, and just might get to do some long range shooting in the future.

I am looking at the leupold mark 4 tactical scope to go on a .308 They offer it in two power ranges 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 was looking for some suggestions on the one that would be the best choice. I currently only shoot out at 200 yds but the vision is not good as once was, and just might get to do some long range shooting in the future.

What do you use this rifle for - Paper or Critters?

for a .308, which is about an 800 yard

cartridge for most shooters, anything above 20X would be problamatical. mostly due to wind, mirage, and eyes. a sightron 4x16 might fill your bill for less money.

regards, tbob

cartridge for most shooters, anything above 20X would be problamatical. mostly due to wind, mirage, and eyes. a sightron 4x16 might fill your bill for less money.

regards, tbob

Or he could turn down a 6.5-20 or 8.5-25x scope to about 14 or 16x as needed.

For punching paper the 8.5-25x would be fine. Its also a great varmint scope.

If you plan to coyote or game hunt down the road, consider the 6.5-20x to give you more FOV. My deer rifles usually wear 4.5-14x or 3-9x while my varmint rifles wear 6-18x, 6.5-20x, or 8.5-25x Leupys.

If, as in my case, the eyes are not what they once were, I would be looking for a larger Objective lense to gather more light. If you're only going out to 200-300 yards, I'd stick around the 6-18 or 6-20 range...:D

So far has been all paper shooting groups.

If you are shooting paper, do what the competitive benchrest shooters do. Fine crosshairs, maybe a dot if you like, 36 power or more.

Don't take my word for it... go to the match results section and see what they are using.

http://www.international-benchrest.com/
Click on Match Results on the left hand side.
Click on Score (as the equipment list of the top 10 shooters is usually included)

I personally shoot (at paper) a fixed ($400) 36 power Weaver that has been boosted to 45 power.

Last edited by a moderator:
For bad eyes and paper punchin, Nightforce.
My miserable eyes were struggling with a Leupold 8X25. One day at an egg shoot a nice fellow let me take a gander through his 12X42 NF BR.
There at 300yds were those eggs big as basketballs(exaggeration)
Better than that right underneath them were all those individual little fragments of shells we spent the day making. I was sold. Called D&B supply next day.
Very similar thread running in centerfire benchrest at the moment.

Back