Scope setup problems, ran out of clicks?

R

Rock63

Rifle and old scope zero in just fine (9X scope, nothing special).
Same rings, insert new (to me) scope, and I run out of elevation clicks on the turret.

I'm trying to adjust for 50yards ARA, and the new scope has me shooting low.

Now what?

New scope is a Tasco 10x-40x 50mm (TG1040X50DS)

Possible base mismatch, also you're wasting your time and money trying the Tasco to match shoot.

Ok, it's a crummy low end scope, but it is at least the right magnification, and a new guy has to start somewhere!

Reword the question, let's see if this helps: If my used scope is a Weaver T36 and I run out of elevation clicks, what should I do?

Not sure which scope you are talking about. Sounds like you are trying to sight in the 9x and then basically said purchase new Tasco 10x-40x scope?

Try getting taller rings and possibly riser blocks so the scope sits higher.

Not sure how your scope and rings sit on your rifle, but give this a look.
Risers
Rings

And just a quick question... it happens to alot of people, do you have the front bell set on 50 yards and not some other yardage or infinite?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a little pricey but look at the burris signature series rings and get the insert kit with them. The inserts will give you the adjustment you need.

Burris Rings

Burris makes a set that have interchangeable insert the will allow you to keep the scope optically centered, and still be able to center your Xhairs. That what I did with all my Weavers, Leupolds, Tasco, BSA and Barska scopes. They only fit Weaver style bases. The other option is to shim the bases. First center your Xhairs and see where your POA is. Then shim according. Several companies sell shim kits, or you can make your own. You can use Brass or Beer Can. If impact is high, shim the front, if low, shim the rear. Be careful as you will have to re-lap the rings if you add too much shim. Sure don't want to ruin a cheap scope.

Last edited:
Burris Sig Zee's

The Burris Signature Zee rings are also available for the 3/8 dovetail common to US made rifmire rifles. I think that they used to be available only for Weaver style bases, but are now made for 3/8 dovetail as well.

Steve.

rings

try swapping them around this also can make a difference and bring back to where you want to be

Andy D

I have swapped the front and rear rings, point of impact remains low in both configurations.

To clarify: Point of impact was correct with a 9 power scope and these rings. When I took off the 9 power and installed the 40X scope my point of impact was low and out of the range of turret adjustment.

The front objective of the scope is not contacting the barrel.
Focus is set to 50 yards, target is at 50 yards.

I have swapped the front and rear rings, point of impact remains low in both configurations.

To clarify: Point of impact was correct with a 9 power scope and these rings. When I took off the 9 power and installed the 40X scope my point of impact was low and out of the range of turret adjustment.

The front objective of the scope is not contacting the barrel.
Focus is set to 50 yards, target is at 50 yards.

Then I would suggest you either take the scope back as it could be bad and get an exchange, or give what i suggested a try raising the scope up so you can start clicking down. You can add multiple risers with rings. Either way, both are cheap solutions with out going for the common Weaver 36x scope most ARA shooters use.

Personally I would not suggest shimming the rings unless you know what you are doing as you could crush and damage the scope without knowing.

My $.02
Bill

Hi Rock

I have exactly the same issue with an 1813 Anschutz and a Tasco 10-40x50. I know the usual suspects will not like me for saying this but I shimmed the rear ring with a piece of soft drink can aluminium. I am not worried about distorting the tube as a) if it shooting low already I suspect it is already out of whack and b) it will never be used on another rifle, so if it settles into shape on there then well and good.

It works and frankly, the scope isn't the best in the world but it gets you started.

It also strikes me that if you can learn to shoot well with a scope of lower quality, just think how much better you will be when you can actually see the target clearly at 40x!!

Rabz

Shimming options

Some shimming options to consider. Some will tell you to shim the base, some will tell you to shim the rings. I have successfully used old measuring tape slices to shim the ring to elevate my rear scope tube. It is already curved so it's easy to keep centered. It is also cost effective. And, if you don't particularly care about the look, cutting the slices a little larger than the scope ring reduces the danger of scoring the scope tube.

Ok, it's a crummy low end scope, but it is at least the right magnification, and a new guy has to start somewhere!

Reword the question, let's see if this helps: If my used scope is a Weaver T36 and I run out of elevation clicks, what should I do?

What the post inferred is that the base issue is your problem but when you fix it your new problem will be a glass unlikely to hold POI no matter what power.

Same problem with my Anschutz 1416D HB and new Weaver T-36. The best solution I was able to find is the Burris Signature series rings. I have Weaver bases on my Annie so I used the Burris Signature Zee series rings. You will also have to purchase the offset insert kit which provides you with three different offsets.

The Burris Signature series are available in Weaver, Leupold and 3/8" rimfire versions. They are the best thing going for a problem like you have and I had.

- Mike

Back