Scope checker

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Charlie Hood made a device that allows the user to mount two scopes closely side by side on the same rifle, using Davidson (Kelbly) style rings. It fits of the same type of base. The rifle only serves to furnish recoil, so the accuracy of it or the load is irrelevant. Both scopes are adjusted to be centered on an aim point, and the rifle is shot, after which the sight pictures are checked to see if they are both still in agreement, If they are not, the question is which one changed. When Lou Murdica did some testing of Leupold Competition scopes, I believe that he used a Leupold 36x that had the Tucker modification, with a solid rod in place of the plunger and spring for his reference scope. In that case, half of the eight scopes moved. Some took a number of shots for movement to take place. I believe that the amount was .020 to .060 at the target, at 100 yards. If I got any of this wrong. Feel free to correct me. It has been a while, and I am working from memory.
IMG_6474.jpg

Thanks for the explanation Boyd. Now I know what I'm going to be building just as soon as I get a chance. Just one more way to troubleshoot what's going on with my rifles.

Michael

Todd, if there was ever a piece of equipment every serious benchrester needs it is a scope checker, yet, they are few and far between. Mike Ratigan goes into detail about them and their use in his book, "Extreme Rifle Accuracy."

Daryl Loker made the one Ratigan has but the only one I know of who ever tooled up and produced them was Charlie Hood. Sadly, he no longer makes them. I'm glad I bought one when they were available because I use mine quite often. Yes, I have found a number of scopes that moved but not as many as some would think. When someone tells me their scope is bad I always ask if they proved it with a scope checker. They usually respond with something like, "Well, no, I don't have a checker but I know it's bad; it's two grouping, it will put two or three shots in a dot and then the next two or three somewhere else. It's gotta' be the scope; couldn't be me!" :eek:

More often than not the scope is fine but once in a while I find one that is moving; some more than others.

Come on down for a visit when you can.

Best regards

Gene Beggs

I've got one...

that I got from Charlie Hood.

I'd part with it if someone made me an offer that I couldn't turn down.

Dick Wright

Wow. Not only does Dick write good and entertaining articles, but he is a good guy to do business with. Thanks Dick, Don

Hood Scope checker

Charlie Hood makes one, but don't know if he has it on the market for sale.

I have two,, one for Davidson base and one for pica tinny rail. They work great[. Charlie Hood is a great guy./B]

Todd, if there was ever a piece of equipment every serious benchrester needs it is a scope checker, yet, they are few and far between. Mike Ratigan goes into detail about them and their use in his book, "Extreme Rifle Accuracy."

Daryl Loker made the one Ratigan has but the only one I know of who ever tooled up and produced them was Charlie Hood. Sadly, he no longer makes them. I'm glad I bought one when they were available because I use mine quite often. Yes, I have found a number of scopes that moved but not as many as some would think. When someone tells me their scope is bad I always ask if they proved it with a scope checker. They usually respond with something like, "Well, no, I don't have a checker but I know it's bad; it's two grouping, it will put two or three shots in a dot and then the next two or three somewhere else. It's gotta' be the scope; couldn't be me!" :eek:

More often than not the scope is fine but once in a while I find one that is moving; some more than others.

Come on down for a visit when you can.

Best regards

Gene Beggs

All it takes is a 1/2" 60 degree dovetail cutter and an hour or three with a mill to make one. I checked every scope that I had at the time when I made it. Not too sure though that I gave them a very fair test. As the control scope was zeroed and never moved after that. Then the other scopes would be adjusted to the same point of impact. Probably should have shot a couple of groups with them to let them settle down from being adjusted. One scope moved a ring every time the rifle was fired, 3 rings total. Pretty easy to tell which one was staying put by where the bullet was hitting. I'm sure with your shooting tunnel its even easier to see a scope moving on a scope checker.

You couldn't buy it from me!

My Hood scope checker is not for sale. I wish someone would tool up and make another run of them. Without it, I know of no way to check a scope and prove it is rock solid.

My fixed proof scope is a Leu 36 that Jackie Schmidt froze for me several years ago. I keep it permanently installed on the checker. It never requires adjustment; just aim at the spot and adjust the scope to be checked to same point of aim. It's simple and only takes a few minutes to set up. It removes all doubt about your scope. FWIW :cool:

Later

Gene Beggs

My Hood scope checker is not for sale. I wish someone would tool up and make another run of them. Without it, I know of no way to check a scope and prove it is rock solid.

My fixed proof scope is a Leu 36 that Jackie Schmidt froze for me several years ago. I keep it permanently installed on the checker. It never requires adjustment; just aim at the spot and adjust the scope to be checked to same point of aim. It's simple and only takes a few minutes to set up. It removes all doubt about your scope. FWIW :cool:

Later

Gene Beggs

Gene, the first gun I bought to shoot benchrest was a Grizzly II with rings but no scope. This was at Raton. There was somebody there that had a Sightron 36X scope that had been modified with nylon screws to hold stuff in place. So, I put it on that gun for a while. It's since been replaced with a Leupold. Would this be sufficient to use as the control scope? If not, I later bought another used gun that had a frozen Leupold 45X in a Brackney mount on it. I have other plans for that scope but could use it for a scope checker if the Sightron isn't good enough for the job.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Charlie Hood made a device that allows the user to mount two scopes closely side by side on the same rifle, using Davidson (Kelbly) style rings. It fits of the same type of base. The rifle only serves to furnish recoil, so the accuracy of it or the load is irrelevant. Both scopes are adjusted to be centered on an aim point, and the rifle is shot, after which the sight pictures are checked to see if they are both still in agreement, If they are not, the question is which one changed. When Lou Murdica did some testing of Leupold Competition scopes, I believe that he used a Leupold 36x that had the Tucker modification, with a solid rod in place of the plunger and spring for his reference scope. In that case, half of the eight scopes moved. Some took a number of shots for movement to take place. I believe that the amount was .020 to .060 at the target, at 100 yards. If I got any of this wrong. Feel free to correct me. It has been a while, and I am working from memory.
IMG_6474.jpg

OK Boyd, trying to figure out what I'm seeing here. It looks to me that the three screws in the foreground are used to mount the checker to the action via a dovetail base on the action. Above that is dovetail mounts to mount the rings for the control scope and it will be centered over the action. Beyond that is the dovetail mounts to mount the rings for the test scope which will hang off to the left (or right) of the action. It also appears that there are recesses milled into the center of the checker that I'm assuming are to reduce weight. Did I get any of it right?

OK Boyd, trying to figure out what I'm seeing here. It looks to me that the three screws in the foreground are used to mount the checker to the action via a dovetail base on the action. Above that is dovetail mounts to mount the rings for the control scope and it will be centered over the action. Beyond that is the dovetail mounts to mount the rings for the test scope which will hang off to the left (or right) of the action. It also appears that there are recesses milled into the center of the checker that I'm assuming are to reduce weight. Did I get any of it right?

Yes, with one additional piece of information that the picture would not have shown you by itself. The three Allen head cap screws serve a dual function. Depending on which holes they are in they serve as jacking screws to slightly spread the female dovetail, to make it easier to get on and off of the base, and in their other position they are used to clamp the checker on the base. The rest of your observations were correct.

Back