Saw something unusual today

E

eww1350

A friend was removing a fluted barrel from one of his actions for a barrel change...He was using a Farrel barrel vise with aluminum jaws...he clamped the barrel on the fluted area just ahead of the stock forend to losen the barrel...to our amazement the aluminum jaws actually deformed the edges of the flutes...:eek:

Has anyone ever experienced this before..???

I would think one could actually deform the bore of the barrel if you used too much clamping pressure...

Eddie in Texas

ive not seen that, but i have deformed the jaws of my farrell vise trying to remove an original barrel off a VZ-24. my own opinion is that thise particular barrel vise is OK for installing barrels, but it is not up to the task of removing barrels that were put on with a little torque. ive done quite a few with this vise, and am soon to upgrade to something better, then this one will go in the junk pile!

Last edited:
ive not seen that, but i have deformed the jaws of my farrell vise trying to remove an original barrel off a VZ-24. my own opinion is that thise particular barrel vise is OK for installing barrels, but it is not up to the task of removing barrels that were put on with a little torque. ive done quite a few with this vise, and am soon to upgrade to something better, then this one will go in the junk pile!

Don't junk it...I will buy it...send me a PM when you are ready to get rid of it...

Eddie in Texas

I have several barrels fluted by Art Cocchia where he ran a fiber cutoff wheel lengthwise. Like 10-12 deep flutes, parallel to the bore and with narrow lands.

Looks cool

Shoots cool

Deforms and winds up like a slinky if you clamp to it!

Gotta' take 'er out of the stock and cramp up on the shank.

al

Back