Sako TRG-22 - worth a look?

Mr_Logic

Hi All

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint right now which I use to shoot F/TR informally at my local club. Because of the evil GMK, it only has a 20" barrel as that is all they import now.

Accuracy from it is very good, but velocity is lacking, at least with a load anywhere near accurate. It's great to 600 yards, but I want to shoot 1K, and although it does work, velocity is too low to work very well (2750 with Lapua 155 Scenar). The guys shooting this with the bigger guns are getting 2900+.

I was looking at Savage's F/TR as a much better fit, but am being put off by the horror stories. While in the US, Savage seems to fix these guns in a couple of weeks, making the issue a pain, over here, it's going to importers (Garlands) who aren't known for service, and then back across the Pond for repair - so a very lengthy process that I can't be bothered with.

My chosen gunshop (need to p/ex a shotgun and a .243, and they give good p/ex rates) won't sell the Savage either, but they do a lot of Tikka/Sako. Which made me wonder about the TRG-22.

I know from reading up that they tend to be very accurate and the stock is adjustable, my only worry is the velocity with a 26" barrel. Is this rifle worth a look do you think?

Many thanks!

This past Sunday at our local club F-TR 600 yard shoot, a new shooter with his TRG-22, shot a 577-13X.

Thanks guys. Stuart @ Osprey is a bit far for me, but I have ordered a 223 F/TR, which should be in at the weekend. 223 at 1K sounds like a challenge but the numbers look promising and folk have said it works pretty well - time will tell!

Back