Sako extractors again

My Stiller drop port has a Remington extractor.
What about Hall, Howa, Weatherby, and so forth?
Butch
sako.. the others u mention come with M16 TYPE EXTRACTORS.you can find them on "PTG. WEBBSITE+++$16.00.THAT IS ALL I USE AS THEY ARE HELD IN WITH A PIN,& ""USUALLY DON'T BLOW-OUT LIKEA SAKO CAN..VERY CATASTROPHIC..

My Stiller drop port has a Remington extractor.
What about Hall, Howa, Weatherby, and so forth?
Butch

Butch, some of the drop ports did use a Sako extractor. I think it depends on when it was made. Howa and Weatherby Vanguards use a M16 style claw extractor. --Mike Ezell

How can this be..???? Soo many custom action manufacturers using a Sako type extractor...:eek::eek::eek:
I wasn't too long ago that there was a thread started by someone asking about the modifying of a Remington bolt to use a Sako style extractor...and man-oh-man...all of the "crying" about nothing is better than "3 rings of steel"...It would be suicide to do so..!!!
wonder why all the custom action makers took a wrong turn...:D:D:D

Eddie in Texas

Eddie, the vast majority of Custom and Factory actions that come with a Sako Extractor have it shielded so that it cannot become flying shrapnel straight down a raceway. For instance, I have a Bruno Right Bolt left port where the Sako is hidden by the top of the reciever ring when in battery. The reason it can do this is because the case ejects out the left side.

On a typical Remington conversion, when you close the bolt, you can look right down the right raceway and see that Sako Extractor. Upon a catastrophic failure, it has a clear path right into the shooters forehead.

I have told the story several times, so I won't repeat it. There is a shooter in the Houston Area that has a Sako still in his brain.

The actual Sako Rifle has a shield that guards against this.

If someone want to put a Sako in a Remington, be my guest. But what you are doing is canceling out what is recognized as one of the safest actions ever built when you cut that slot in the bolt, and place that extractor in there.

That is a fact, and cannot be argued........jackie

John:

You ask: "So what extractor has my old L461 Sako got?"

It has the one I need.

How can this be..???? Soo many custom action manufacturers using a Sako type extractor...:eek::eek::eek:
I wasn't too long ago that there was a thread started by someone asking about the modifying of a Remington bolt to use a Sako style extractor...and man-oh-man...all of the "crying" about nothing is better than "3 rings of steel"...It would be suicide to do so..!!!
wonder why all the custom action makers took a wrong turn...:D:D:D

Eddie in Texas

It is a bit of a puzzle why anyone would only install part of the Sako extractor system on a 2 lug action. Sako never did it that way.

... and I wasn't "crying" about nothing is better than "3 rings of steel" and no one said "it would be suicide to do so." Your imagination is running rampant. ... And there is nothing better than Remingtons 3 rings of steel with the original extractor as far as 2 lug actions are concerned.

Eddie, the vast majority of Custom and Factory actions that come with a Sako Extractor have it shielded so that it cannot become flying shrapnel straight down a raceway. For instance, I have a Bruno Right Bolt left port where the Sako is hidden by the top of the reciever ring when in battery. The reason it can do this is because the case ejects out the left side.

On a typical Remington conversion, when you close the bolt, you can look right down the right raceway and see that Sako Extractor. Upon a catastrophic failure, it has a clear path right into the shooters forehead.

I have told the story several times, so I won't repeat it. There is a shooter in the Houston Area that has a Sako still in his brain.

If someone want to put a Sako in a Remington, be my guest. But what you are doing is canceling out what is recognized as one of the safest actions ever built when you cut that slot in the bolt, and place that extractor in there.

I agree Jackie, but some just don't understand it.

Here is a picture demonstrating how a Sako extractor system in a Sako will protect a shooter...

243blowupaction-0.jpg

First let me state that my post was meant to be tongue in cheek "satire" in reference to the use of a Sako style extractor in a Remington action, being suicide, but that being said...what protects the shooter in the event of a blow up...on any 2 lug action using a Sako style extractor without a shield similar to the original Sako...if one looks at all the custom 2 lug actions...the extractor is located in the same position as it would be on the modified Remington..ones with a right bolt right port with ejector...???

Eddie in Texas

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe anything is protecting the shooter on a 2 lug action using a Sako style extractor without a shield...

So what extractor has my old L461 Sako got?

View attachment 11033

John, It has a Sako extractor that was made by Sako especially for the Sako L46 action. It removes by lifting the lip of the extactor away from the center of the bolt which lifts an integral pin on the bottom of the extractor out of place and then the extractor slides forward on a dovetail cut into the bolt body. If your action has a squared off bolt shroud with safety on the bolt shroud, the action is a L46 action and all L46's with the .222 sized bolt face have the extractor yours has. The L461 action has a rounded bolt shroud with the safety moved off the bolt shroud and has the normal plunger and spring style Sako extractor. My Sako L46 has the same extractor you have in the photo. Butch Lambert's Sako L46 has the same extractor, so it's not a custom install of an extractor. It was just the one they made at the time. However, finding one of them now days may be very difficult if you have a broken one. I looked in my Jack First catalog and they don't show it. Gun Parts Corp has a photo of the extractor at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1174490&catid=10342, but they are sold out of them.

Last edited:
Back