Rugar M77 accuracy potential?

tiny68

I have the opportunity to get a couple of used hunting rifles form an elderly friend that I care for our church. All used and most some signs of wear. A couple of only one Rem 700, one 7, and one 660 - I think all long actions. One Interarms FN Mauser action with an 3006. He has a dozen Ruger M77s, both older and new style. One newer Winchester 7mm Mag M70 with in a black tupperware stock. I am fascinated by some of the calibers that I have never owned - 338 Win Mag (M77), 280 (M77), 35 Whilen (M77). I would like to chosen an action that would be most appropriate to rebarrel for build a big game hunting for my 16 and 20 year boys. I have shot a lot of club matches in shot rang BR and tried F/Class a few times. I looked around and I rarely remember seeing many M77 at these matches. Is it a lack of accuracy potential with the mauser style action or something else? I have 7 or 8 M700 or Savages that have been trued, retriggered, rebarrel, and restocked with premium barrels and they all have been exceptional shooters. My gunsmiths only work on Remingtons or Savages (two different smiths).

Any if I limit to the M700 and M7 then my choices are few. These rifles have meaning to me because who owned and used them. I want this history is to be handed to my kids. It is going to kill me to have to liquidate his collection firearms in a few years with the estate.

He even has two Browning BARs (one 3006 and one 2nd Gen 300 Win Mag), but never considered anything but a bolt and never heard of one being rebarreled.

Any views appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

OP,
Rem Seven's & 600/660's are basically XP-100 bolt length actions-not 700 short or long actions.

Purchase all of the rifles & weed out what you don't need/want.

The integrated scope bases in the receiver tops are endorsed by many hunters.
BUT
Investment cast Rugers will NEVER be in my possession.

Some what baffled why out of all those big game hunting rifles rifles there isn't a couple suitable as is for a young man's big game hunting rifle w/o rebarreling?

Or do you just have the itch to have your gunsmith rebarrel something?

How much more accuracy do you think you are going to get out of hunting weight rifle under real hunting conditions?

Some what baffled why out of all those big game hunting rifles rifles there isn't a couple suitable as is for a young man's big game hunting rifle w/o rebarreling?

Or do you just have the itch to have your gunsmith rebarrel something?

How much more accuracy do you think you are going to get out of hunting weight rifle under real hunting conditions?
I
My oldest want to build an Elk gun. The groups is want to go with required the hunter be able to shoot a 3" three shot group at 500 yards. I am just assuming we would have to rebarrel and restock any of these rifles to get to that kind of accuracy. But until we bedded the actions and developed a load it would be a guessing game. I think we may play with the 338 Win Mag to see what we can get of it accuracy wise

Most of these rifles haven't been shot in 20-25 years. Some are gun show purchases he has never fired. Got to clean some, check out the bores. Thankfully he has dies for every caliber.

Tim

OK tiny68,

I build hunting rifles which will shoot groups under 3" at 500yds. EXPENSIVE rifles..... :)

I have built several Ruger M77s. The only M77 I've ever seen that _could_ do what you want was a 6PPC USA which on a perfectly calm morning would have theoretically been capable.

Basically, if any of the guns you've listed are capable of this accuracy I'm wasting my customers' monies......which I AIN'T....;)

What I'm saying is, good luck with your new toys but don't "expect 3" groups for elk hunting."

Tim,

I look at your predicament from a different angle. WHY do you need a rifle that shoots 3" groups at 500 yards? Is your son planning on shooting elk at 500 yards? If so, I would ask that you re-think that strategerie. 500 yards is a fair poke, and a lot can go wrong at that distance, especially shooting from a field position. Wounding and not being able to recover a game animal is a sickening experience. I would venture to say that any of the rifles that you mentioned above, that are caliber appropriate for elk hunting, will be more than accurate enough shooting an elk at reasonable, and responsible distances.

Make the challenge not how far away you can shoot an animal, but how close you can get before shooting.

Just my thoughts...

Justin

I agree with the ethics of close shots UNLESS you regularly practice. 500 is not a long shot for current long range setups. I lean toward the rum setups (338 edge, 300) and 28 nosler. Past 600, there is a ton that can go wrong even when shooter does his part.

I have done a couple m77 mk2s in 300wm years back. I thought I did everything right, but still couldn’t get them to shoot factory ammo (friend wanted to shoot it....ugh). I gave up on m77s after those, but maybe I’m just not very good

Tim,

I look at your predicament from a different angle. WHY do you need a rifle that shoots 3" groups at 500 yards? Is your son planning on shooting elk at 500 yards? If so, I would ask that you re-think that strategerie. 500 yards is a fair poke, and a lot can go wrong at that distance, especially shooting from a field position. Wounding and not being able to recover a game animal is a sickening experience. I would venture to say that any of the rifles that you mentioned above, that are caliber appropriate for elk hunting, will be more than accurate enough shooting an elk at reasonable, and responsible distances.

Make the challenge not how far away you can shoot an animal, but how close you can get before shooting.

Just my thoughts...

Justin

+1

Mort

I hope those 500 yd shooters shoot a lot-a lot more than I do. Id seriously question shooting at 200 yds.

In this area if you have to shoot more than that something is wrong. Most of my hunting areas any shot over 125-150 is impossible-cant see target except perhaps on the power line.

Western hunting is obviously a different animal. Big country and wide open areas to shoot from. My new hunting partner is from Wisconsin and it was a shock to him too. Got him out with my 30-8mag (30stw), a bipod and rear bag and he shot 3 shot groups at 600yds that were sub moa from bullseye. The right gear and practice make a world of difference. I practice out to 1400, but only shoot deer at 700 and in on CALM mornings and elk at 800 in. Don’t need to shoot further for bragging rights. That’s stupid. I’m humane and want meat and a clean kill. My rifles will all do that.

Attachments

• 03E03748-E1EF-4AB5-9878-D3905EFC80BE.jpeg
    03E03748-E1EF-4AB5-9878-D3905EFC80BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back