Roughing Reamer

Markhor

Does anyone use a Roughing reamer anymore or has everyone gone to drill step method. Would the quality of the of the chambering be a bit nicer with a roughing reamer? Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Does anyone use a Roughing reamer anymore or has everyone gone to drill step method. Would the quality of the of the chambering be a bit nicer with a roughing reamer? Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

It depends on how you chamber. If you single point bore the chamber in alignment with predetermined indicated spots like I do, the finish reamer does nothing more than establish the finish, size and shape of the chamber.

If you are using the reamer to remove all,of the stock, then I suppose a rougher would help.

But, from a machinist standpoint, be sure you do not induce some type of run out with the rougher. If that happens, your finisher will follow, and your work will be compromised.

For Benchrest and other extreme accuracy chambers, I am not a fan of roughing reamers.

Its a rough world out there

I have a roughing reamer. I used it for a while. Now I drill and straight line bore (just like I talk). I then use a carbide finishing reamer. Why carbide instead of HSS? I just love to remove and attach those little wire clips for the bushings. BTW any hints on how to manage those little buggers without launching them? I actually found one after it sprang away. I should have bought a lottery ticket immediately as the gods were smiling on me that day. Tim

I have a roughing reamer. I used it for a while. Now I drill and straight line bore (just like I talk). I then use a carbide finishing reamer. Why carbide instead of HSS? I just love to remove and attach those little wire clips for the bushings. BTW any hints on how to manage those little buggers without launching them? I actually found one after it sprang away. I should have bought a lottery ticket immediately as the gods were smiling on me that day. Tim

Dave Manson taught me how to manage those little clips. He sent me a bag full of them. Up till then I used a white bed sheet spread on the floor.

Is a roughing reamer the same as a core drill?

It is a smaller version of the chambering reamer meant to hog out most of the metal instead of wearing on the very high precision chambering reamer.

Probably more useful in a large production line than for a single gunsmith.

Using very rigid single use tools produces adequate production tolerances and reasonable quality.

I still pay more for a barrel for my Panda action varmint rifle than most do for a whole rifle.

Hand chambered to tight tolerance and just screw it on the action and the headspace is correct.

well what I did was (got tired of spreading out a sheet and working in a bag) I bought a used MRI machine, stood it on end like a walk-in shower unit. if you do send one out the top it'll most often fall back in...

they pop up here and there on craigslist, you just gotta tell the seller you won't use them for doctoring.........maybe sign a paper......

well what I did was (got tired of spreading out a sheet and working in a bag) I bought a used MRI machine, stood it on end like a walk-in shower unit. if you do send one out the top it'll most often fall back in...

they pop up here and there on craigslist, you just gotta tell the seller you won't use them for doctoring.........maybe sign a paper......

alinwa: I'm delighted to see you posting. Your posts are a primary reason that I check this board, but, but, this is a joke, right?!

GsT

MRI or CAT scan?

MRIs use a whole lot of liquid helium for the magnet and RF fields.

And massive amounts of 3-phase power.

They do not get along with anything with iron in it.

They image hydrogen ion concentrations (but can be tuned for a few other elements).

A CAT scan is x-rays and would be more useful on metal items.

Might have to up the x-ray strength though.

We x-ray inspected metal castings and dense metals took very high power levels.

MRI or CAT scan?

MRIs use a whole lot of liquid helium for the magnet and RF fields.

And massive amounts of 3-phase power.

They do not get along with anything with iron in it.

They image hydrogen ion concentrations (but can be tuned for a few other elements).

A CAT scan is x-rays and would be more useful on metal items.

Might have to up the x-ray strength though.

We x-ray inspected metal castings and dense metals took very high power levels.

If you're going to be pedantic, then it's any hydrogen nucleus, not just hydrogen ions.

If you're going to be pedantic, then it's any hydrogen nucleus, not just hydrogen ions.

Either way did he get an MRI machine or a CAT scanner?

MRI and iron are NOT a good combination.

They also do not tolerate less than continues use since the magnet takes days to cool down to superconducting.

Turning on 'on end' would also be a large feat.

Either way did he get an MRI machine or a CAT scanner?

MRI and iron are NOT a good combination.

They also do not tolerate less than continues use since the magnet takes days to cool down to superconducting.

Turning on 'on end' would also be a large feat.

ummmm, MRI, because magnets.......because the little clips don't fly away and get lost........ when you flik one it sticks to the side of the enclosure and you just pick it off and try again....

cheaper that way....

Last edited:
ummmm, MRI, because magnets.......because the little clips don't fly away and get lost........ when you flik one it sticks to the side of the enclosure and you just pick it off and try again....

cheaper that way....

Wait til he gets his power and helium bills.

Using roughing reamers

I have been fitting barrels to 6mm PPC rifles and decided to get new reamers, a resize, roughing and finishing reamer, this time I used a roughing reamer for the first time to save the finishing reamer wear.
The finishing reamer seemed to line up correctly after using the roughing reamer and seemed to run true to the barrel, BUT the accuracy of the barrels dropped off badly using a roughing reamer, then I did another barrel with out the roughing reamer and the accuracy came back, then rechambered one of the first barrels I used a roughing reamer in with out the roughing reamer and that accuracy came back, I am using a floating reamer holder both times.
Some people do not use a roughing reamer for accuracy at all, this is the question I would like help with, what happened ?, 3 barrels using roughing reamer lucky to get .3s, no roughing reamer .1s, is it the floating reamer tool causing this, I will not be using the roughing reamer again, can some one tell me what went wrong with out just saying we don't use them, have you had trouble with this before on barrels, I would rather wear out a finishing reamer than have this again, thankyou for the help.
Mark

cheaper that way....

And people in the bore of MRI have been killed by oxygen tanks that went in and struck them.

A few have been killed by being struck in the head my objects pulled into the bore.
Others have just been injured.

Smaller objects not aligned with teh bore will just stop on the housing.

Of course if your head was centered up ant that staple went down the bore it might be a little hard on your face or eye.

Back