Rotary Union

IanRobertson

I am looking for a rotary union/coupler to do a barrel flush with. I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want it to work. There are lots of them suitable for air reels, whips and the like but I am not sure they will hold up to cutting oil. I have also heard of some made of plastic used for this. Does anyone have some sources or ideas?

You can't beat a Duff Norton Rotary Union. It is the best $200.00 you can spend. Stainless Steel, needle bearings, greasable, straigth or 90 degree setup. You can order them direct or throught MSC or others.
You can most likely find a used one on e-bay for about $30.00.

Nat Lambeth

Attachments

• Duff Norton Rotary Coupler.jpg
    Duff Norton Rotary Coupler.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 512
higginson.ca They have Deublin rotary unions.

I went with a oil hose reel coupler since its a hobby for me, and it was free ;)

Do a search on E Bay for rotary union or rotary coupling. There are several available, some with free shipping. I got my Duff Norton for $45

Dave

There are some on ebay but it seems not all are suitable for cutting oil so it can be hard to tell which is which at times. At this point it is a hobby for me as well.

It seems that many use an air coupler, including the one GTR sells. I bought one of these for $12 so I will see how long cheap lasts and keep an eye on ebay for something better in the meantime. Now the pump. I am told a pump from an oil furnace works well (can't find one here, everyone is on gas) but I can also buy a new coolant pump for cheap as well. Does anyone know if these cheap pumps will pump cutting oil as opposed to a diluted soluble coolant? I am planning to catch the oil in a pan and then manually filter and reuse. If I need more capacity I will add a filter etc in time.

I bought a cheap coolant tank and pump combo from MSC on sale for $150 then added a furnace pump as a booster, added a lot more pressure, in fact I have to bleed some off or it will push oil clear over the end of the lathe. I use heavy oil.

It seems that many use an air coupler, including the one GTR sells. I bought one of these for $12 so I will see how long cheap lasts and keep an eye on ebay for something better in the meantime. Now the pump. I am told a pump from an oil furnace works well (can't find one here, everyone is on gas) but I can also buy a new coolant pump for cheap as well. Does anyone know if these cheap pumps will pump cutting oil as opposed to a diluted soluble coolant? I am planning to catch the oil in a pan and then manually filter and reuse. If I need more capacity I will add a filter etc in time.

Ian:

A coolant pump does not have enough pressure to pump cutting oil at the pressure you need. I can send (or bring) an oil burner pump and motor sans the blower on my next trip up --DCRA Natls. A Duff-Norton will last a life time with quick couplers and a reg valve.

Just a day or two prior and it'll be done.

alan

Back