Rimfire - Marlin 782 light strike

PEI Rob

Pressure is on, hunt camp owner sends me a 782, intemittent fire. I'm not a rimfire guy but I suspect that the rear firing pin is too short, peened where the striker is hitting it.
In this pic, the tip is barely protruding and the cocking pin is a long ways from the cocking cam. There seems to be a braze on the rear FP already.

Marlin782bolt.jpg

Any guess?

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
With rimfires misfires are usually due to excessive headspace ,followed by being dirty ,next by poor firing pin protrusion or broken .Most misfires I have found are headspace related .

Chris

If you dry-fire a Marlin too much, the firing pin can peen the edge of the chamber and affect chambering and also make it difficult to eject rounds. Is the little firing pin spring working fine? You could order a new firing pin and see how a fresh on fits, but otherwise I'd make sure nothing is gummed up.

I should have given more detail. This model is not that simple. The bolt assembly has a striker sleeve that is held in place by a single screw. This sleeve is what the striker spring pushes on. In the pic above, the "bolt shroud", not sure what marlin calls it, is hitting the sleeve. Not a good thing I would think. For the shroud to hit the sleeve, the striker, rear and or front firing pins would have to be too short or the "bolt head" peened long inside.

Just wondering if in the normal fired position, does the shroud contact the sleeve, highly doubt it, and is that brazed spot supposed to be there?

The striker sleeve shouldn't stop the forward motion of the striker. There should be no braze on the firing pin. I suspect the tip of the front firing broke off and someone tried to lengthen it with a braze build up. Worked for awhile until the braze got hammered down. Probably need a new front firing pin or TIG weld a build up. That's my guess!

Back