rimfire actions

scasa

I'll put these here instead of cluttering up the voodoo thread.

These are some of the actions I've made. The one in the blue stock is .22. It's pretty much a turbo design but not to scale ,6:00 firing pin, dual locking lugs, dual cocking cams.Right bolt left port. The other two are left bolt, left port ,right eject, dual locking lugs and dual cocking cams. All three have home made triggers in the low ounce range.

Attachments

• Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 532
  • Picture 099.jpg
    Picture 099.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 642
more BR actions

Continuing

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 444
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 450
Pretty slick, love the dual port.
Are the triggers a vertical sear type or simply your personal design exercise ?
Thanks for the photos.

Awesome job on the actions! They look very nice. Alot more work goes into making one than we all appreciate at times. Certainly not an easy task. Triggers look nice as well.

Tim beat me to asking if they are setup on 90° triggers or not.

Excellent job!

Tad

Triggers

Thanks for the complements and your right there is a lot of work that goes into them. The blue rifle has a vertical sear of my own design. I read something written by Bill C. once and he gave a list of things he thought were required for the optimal BR action and I tried to incorporate as many as I could . That was one of them. The two pistol actions have angled sears on the firing pin. Since they are mid trigger there was nowhere else to put them.

rimfire

So I did a thing with my shooting partner Ryan from IBI Kodi Lucky Patcher nox - we are putting on a local prs-style rimfire match here in BC starting February 2nd 2019!
Action Rifle Rimfire is a new initiaive aimed at bringing PRS-style rimfire matches, to the lower mainland of BC.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying great work,

If you are willing to share,

Could we see the internals of your trigger?

What material did you use for the turbo like action? Prehardened?

A even bigger ask, would you be willing to share any drawings/notes or cad files you may have made/used?

I've made a few scratch builds but have yet to do a bolt action, your turbo like 22 looks like a great rifle to try making.

Thanks
Pat

.22 br action

Well Pat ,There are no drawings . I don't ever make any and everything is design on the fly. I found some pics on the web ,6 I think somebody posted. I studied them and was able to figure out how it worked and how the bolt was put together by looking at the bolt takedown tool.Once I got it all figured out I just cut out the pieces and put it together. I didn't have any measurments to give me any idea of scale so I made the receiver about the size I thought it should be ,Then made everything else to fit.

The receiver is stainless probably 50 cal barrel blank the bolt is o1 tool steel , already pretty hard. trigger parts were made from a file and I think the bolt release was a piece of lawn mower blade. lots of good steel just laying around waiting to be made into gun parts.

The thing that made it possible to make this is a milling head that mounts to the carrage of my lathe. I also made an indexing disk that mounts behind the chuck and there is a 90 to 1 gearbox mounted to the rear of the spindle. with that setup I can cut out the loading port ,drill all the holes, make a slot for the bolt release.That's also how I made all the cuts in the bolt.

I've got a bunch of build pics I dont know if I could just upload the folder or not.
I found some pics of the trigger It's no secret I'll post them

The trigger is just a basic 3 lever trigger with a sliding bar in the top that is sandwiched between the trigger housing and the receiver. the sear angles are 90 on the sear but on the bottom there angled just like a regular trigger . The bar is spring loaded and resets itself when you work the bolt.

Attachments

• DSCF1353.JPG
    DSCF1353.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
  • DSCF1352.JPG
    DSCF1352.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
  • DSCF1354.JPG
    DSCF1354.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • DSCF0681.JPG
    DSCF0681.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF0677.JPG
    DSCF0677.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 199
That's a neat milling attachment, is it pneumatic driven? Do you have a dro hooked up? Im borrowing a 40:1 dividing head for the mill im planning on using.

I have a crummy Romanian m69 that I may try to copy for my first attempt, with the exception of being a single shot, threaded barrel and possibly trying to do a trigger like yours. That will at least give me a idea of the issues I'll run into for the next attempt.

Any additional pictures you could upload would be great or I'll shoot you a pm with my email if you wouldn't mind sending them over.

I didn't notice anyone ask how they shoot? Hopefully you are happy with them. Any homemade project like this im usually happy with minute of bucket. (Hitting a 5 gallon bucket)

actions

Pat , Yea it's a die grinder with a planatary gear reduction. I don't have a DRO We just count hash marks on the dial. PM me your email I'n not sure which build pics I have they might be for the pistols but you,ll get some ideas.
I'm glad somebody finally asked me how it shoots, This was taken at the LLano TX gun range . Jim was teaching my about wind flags.The benchrest rifle target is the one on the left ,the target on the right you can see where I was walking the scope up to the target on a pistol I built. Now these groups are at 25 yards but their 10 shot groups. I'm happy with it

Attachments

• Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
Pm sent, and ya I would be very happy with that, not to many people can say they are shooting a gun they made that well.

Back