Rifle jumps off front bag

tenring

Shooting in a match on Saturday with 30BR - Edge 3"stock, NF scope, Farley Gen II rest.
Five times the rifle jumped up and off the front rest during recoil. I try to keep butt just barely touching my right shoulder.
I tightened the rest plates tight against the Farley bag as far as possible, this did not help. Do I need longer screws against the side plates?
Protektor high bunny ear bag was lined up with front bag.

Last edited:
Are you saying the rifle jumped plumb off the front rest? Another quick question - where did the bullet go when this happened?

First question to make sure I understand (not that it matters) and the second question is just a question. Sounds like the rifle doesn't have much choice but to go somewhere and up is its choice. Surely somebody that shoots a 30 will know what to do.....can't shoot that thing free recoil and like it. I'm somewhat interested in this problem as all this time has passed and nobody seems to have had this happen.

Shooting in a match on Saturday with 30BR - Edge 3"stock, NF scope, Farley Gen II rest.
Five times the rifle jumped up and off the front rest during recoil. I try to keep butt just barely touching my right shoulder.
I tightened the rest plates tight against the Farley bag as far as possible, this did not help. Do I need longer screws against the side plates?

If the front & rear bags are lined up, maybe the side tension on the front bag is too much. You might also be unknowingly putting your shoulder into it. Best to have an observer watch when you shoot, he should be able to pick up on what's going on.

make sure the rest is level.
make sure the rifle is level.
look at line of recoil.....if the gun cannot slide back smoothly, it has to go somewhere.
my very limited 2 cents worth

Are you saying the rifle jumped plumb off the front rest? Another quick question - where did the bullet go when this happened?

First question to make sure I understand (not that it matters) and the second question is just a question. Sounds like the rifle doesn't have much choice but to go somewhere and up is its choice. Surely somebody that shoots a 30 will know what to do.....can't shoot that thing free recoil and like it. I'm somewhat interested in this problem as all this time has passed and nobody seems to have had this happen.

Wilbur, the rifle jumped about 2" high and if I had not caught it each time, it would have hit the table. I pulled my face out of the way when it did this, and never thought about where the bullets went. This did not happen with each shot. Twice at 300 yds, three times at 400 yards. I shot terrible anyhow.

Markhor - If I loosen the side plates, wouldn't that provide less bag tension and excaberate the problem?

if the front of the gun is sitting high, and back is very low...pointing up,it pivots off the rear, popping out of the front rest.
go set it up as you had it and look at the line of recoil......

if you over tighten, likely it will just move the entire rest.

The 30BR works best for me with a little pressure on the rear tang. Even with a 13.5 lb gun I find it a little jumpy to shoot true free recoil.

The 30BR works best for me with a little pressure on the rear tang. Even with a 13.5 lb gun I find it a little jumpy to shoot true free recoil.

Dick - I will give the tang trick a try. Was shooting at St. Thomas. As you know, the 300 and 400 yd targets at that range, are inclined uphill about 20 degrees and the benches were built with an up angle to compensate for the target positions. It is not unusual to get everything set up and find that your rifle will slide backward slightly on its own.

I like the suggestion by CMaier:"if the front of the gun is sitting high, and back is very low (and that is the case at this range)...pointing up,it pivots off the rear, popping out of the front rest.
" go set it up as you had it and look at the line of recoil......"

I am thinking of some way to jack up my rear bag to reduce the extreme angle.

Dick - I will give the tang trick a try. Was shooting at St. Thomas. As you know, the 300 and 400 yd targets at that range, are inclined uphill about 20 degrees and the benches were built with an up angle to compensate for the target positions.
At St Thomas (unregistered) you can tighten front bag as tight as you like and actually get your bag to wrap over top of stock side.
Dick

If you are shooting on an incline might I also throw in the technique of pinning the rifle with your shoulder and no hand pressure. our range is on an incline at 200yds and with a slick bag setup I have lost shots high as the rifle slides back prior to firing. A steady pressure with your shoulder will allow you get back on target more quickly as well.
dont know as I have seen a 30br go straight up before but definitely off the back of the front bag.

Thanks for the answers....don't have anything to offer to get it to quit doing that except to either get a front bag that wraps the stock or physically hold the rifle down while shooting. Actually, I've tried holding a good shooting rifle every which way and the bullets went in a pretty good group...as good a group as any other way.

Rifle jump

I would check the balance point or weight of the rifle. Sounds like it could have more weight in the rear of the stock than needed

simple wrap completely around the gun at the front rest...
no tension, just limit upward motion.

Muzzle jump is caused by the line of recoil force (the axis of the bore) being high above the center of gravity (CG) of the stock. You can raise the CG by raising your scope and by raising weight in the stock. Moving weight forward also helps reduce muzzle jump, but the main factor is the height of the bore above the CG. You can measure where the CG is before and after modifications by balancing the rifle on its side. It is possible to shoot free recoil with a 30BR and have the rifle behave as nicely as a 6PPC, just sliding back in the bags, although with extra velocity!

If your rear bag is set too far forward on the bench the pistol grip part of the stock could be hitting the rear bag on recoil causing the rifle to catapult off of the front rest. Just me thinking out loud.

Dick

If your rear bag is set too far forward on the bench the pistol grip part of the stock could be hitting the rear bag on recoil causing the rifle to catapult off of the front rest. Just me thinking out loud.

Dick

Yeah, take a look at this....makes sense!

Back