removing epoxy from a scope tube???

Joe Ponto

Folks, I have a Zeiss riflescope and would like to know how to safely remove epoxy / adhesive from the exterior objective bell. The original German mount was glued to the scope objective and has since been removed. Now I would like to remove the epoxy without damaging the scope body......

Regards,

Joe

epoxy removal

There are 3 ways it can be done:
1) use acetone
2) scrape or sand it off but might damage finish
3) apply heat sparingly to the area with a tiny torch (I use one used for making creme boulee). Epoxy gets soft at around 300* F

I am a bit afraid to apply heat although done carefully, I suspect it should work. Well try that one last.

I have some acetone so I'll give that a try. Still hoping for a sure a thing....

Thanks again.

Joe

Adding heat will more then likely damage your scope, Their is a delicate balance of pressure within the tube, heat will increase it and you will lose the inert gas that keeps it fog free, do not use it.

Contact Zeiss! Forget about doing it yourself until they respond..

I have used paint remover with not a problems on aluminum before (jelly type) no problems with the original finish. Just used a rough terry cloth wash rag (dry) after it softens to remove. Takes several apps, but works safely.

Yes, the cheapest on sell brand at the paint store I could find. All the stuff does is soften the material you want to remove. That's why you need to use a rough wash rag to get it off. I think the most I've had to apply was three applications to get it all off. MAKE sure you get the jelly kind.

Any other suggestions?

Gave acetone a whirl, but it didn't seem like it really affected the cured epoxy/adhesive.... Any other suggestions?

Joe, if you are reluctant to try jelly paint remover, try it on a piece of junk metal like a Weaver base or on an old blued rifle barrel. I have yet to see the finish on aluminum or steel effected by the stuff. I use it on rifle barrels that get bedding compound on them often and scope bases more than just a few times. (makes you wonder what people were thinking)?

No Joe, it ain't sexy stuff, vary low tech. It just works!

I am a bit hesitant. The scope finish appears to be paint or baked on paint.

I don't think it would remove bluing or anodizing (much tougher and part of the Aluminum).

I will be trying your suggestion as soon as I can pick up some gel remover...

I would use methylene chloride-won't hurt the anodized finish and should soften the epoxy enough to scrape it off with a popsicle stick.

Dennis

Hi Dennis.

Not sure where I would get methylene chloride and I think its one of those chemicals that has to be used very carefully from a health prospective.

If I can find some, I'll give it a try. The scope is a pre-anodized scope from europe.....paint of some sort which makes it even worse from a damage prospective...

Thanks for your help....hope I can do it without damaging the finish..

The Methylene Chloride that I have comes in aerosol cans and is kind of thick- almost a gel. It will burn you skin if you leave it on more than a few seconds so wear gloves and do it outside. I had a Burris scope that had been camo painted with epoxy paint. I taped the lenses and sprayed it down, once softened, I used and old toothbrush to scrape off the loose paint. I sold the scope to someone and they never knew it had been camo painted previously.

Dennis

Dennis, perhaps you have never dealt with Zeiss or the Germans. No insult intended, but that is too funny. Several attempts have resulted in absolutely zero gains.......anyone surprised!

No insult taken... I have not dealt with Zeiss ... but considering the quality of the scope and the high possibility that claw mounts have been installed and removed from Zeiss scopes in the past, I would think Zeiss would have some knowledge about this...

Unfortunately you may be contacting them about refinishing a tube... I guess you could alway sand it off and spray paint it... :(

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) from the paint section at a paint store will attack even cured epoxy.
It is actualy a pretty safe solvent, just keep it out of your eyes.

We used it for years to dissolve the epoxy potting on electronics to 'work' on them. You had to be careful though, or a typical printed wiring board would be reduced to fiberglass and copper.

You may need to wrap some cheese cloth around the area with the epoxy, then get it wet with MEK and wrap in aluminum foil and let it sit a while.
Warm MEK works faster but you need to be VERY careful heating the stuff.
Electric heat only, no sparks or flames, etc.

Last edited:
Better be careful about that heat. Delamination of the lens can and DOES happen when too much heat is applied...and that point cannot be pre-determined.

I used some paint stripper gel on a Browning alloy shotgun action once to remove the residual gold in the emblem that was half falling out anyway.

It certainly bamaged the finish, not badly but you could see where it had been, a distinct line at the edge where the stripper had contacted the finish.

Back