Remington 40X

Rflshootr

Does Remington use aftermarket barrels on their 40X's or are they standard Remington barrels?
I hear from someone at one time they used Hart barrels. Don't know if that is true or not.

I know that when the custom shop moved to Dakota Arms they stopped using Remington Barrels, but before it moved even the Custom Shop 40Xs used Remington Barrels. My last Custom Shop 40X came from the Dakota operation and it has a Krieger Barrel. Can you even get a Non-Custom Shop 40X any more?

Bob

The way I heard it they used custom button-rifled barrels wayyy back into the Mike Walker halcyon era....

When I talked to the new gang at The Custom Shop Division at Dakota Arms, they said that New York shipped them the barrel making equipment that the custom shop had been using, but none of their smiths had barrel making experience so they were offering after market barrels

Bob

Back in the era

when Remington was competing with Winchester rimfires, using the 37 and 40X as their flagships, I can't imagine that they would leave something as important as the barrel to another party to make. Winchester certainly didn't.

I just reached out to my friend Tim McCormick and asked him what barrels were used on the 40Xs during his time at Remington and especially during all his years at the Custom Shop, where he retired from after become the custom shop General Manager as his last position.

This Hart/40x thing has been chewed over like a $2 steak for quite some time. I just Googled "hart 40x barrel mike walker" and got quite a few posts from several forums and time frames.

Talked to Tim McCormack yesterday. He was at the custom shop and his last position was the General Manager there before he retired. During is 20+ Years there, all Barrels were made in house by Remington. They started with steel blanks and bored, rifled, finished and chambered them. That included their 40X Rim Fire Barrels.

Bob

Tim just told me that his predecessor, Mike Walker, did in fact use some Hart Barrels on Custom Shop builds, prior to Tim taking over, but during Tim's reign, only Remington , make in house, barrels were used.

Bob

From Gradient Lens Bore Scope observations-

I have numerous in house Custom Shop 40XB & XC w/ a few Hart Bbls thrown into the mix.

One particular 40XB KS 27-1/4" S/S 7.62x51 chambering's bore that resembles railroad track cross ties that would make a Salvage or Ruger Bbl bores air gauge quality.

The last special order 40XB Lam T'Hole S/S S/S 27-1/4" 1:8" twist 260 Rem chambering that I have in possession is on par w/ numerous cut rifled bores.

All choked-yes,but not as tight as a Boot's Bbl from the lapping process!

I haven't dealt w/ the clan at the Dakota/Remington Custom Center.

Any Rem Custom Shop order that is/was not completed/filled is/was cancelled on Dec 31 of that year & NOT rolled over into the next year w/o reordering.

My 6BR Target Master was ordered initially from the Custom Shop at Remington and when the move was made to Dakota, Ward Dobler called me from Dakota to review the specifications I wanted. They even ordered a specific reamer for my build as they had received on the 6BR Remington Version. Then they bought some Lapua 6BR Norma factory ammo to proof fire it and provide the test target with the gun. I have been very pleased with the service from the gang at Dakota. They answer the phone, give out e-mail addresses freely and answer them too. I also had interaction there with Marla Heble and Carlos Martinez.

Bob

Shooting the custom Remington 40X rifle I'm re-stocking for the first time. The rifle has a blueprinted Remington 40X receiver, PTG bolt with custom engraved bolt handle, Shilen trigger, Shilen 8-groove 24" barrel, and custom stock made from Australian walnut by OP. Tutuapp 9apps Showbox it helps me

Last edited:
Shooting the custom Remington 40X rifle I'm re-stocking for the first time. The rifle has a blueprinted Remington 40X receiver, PTG bolt with custom engraved bolt handle, Shilen trigger, Shilen 8-groove 24" barrel, and custom stock made from Australian walnut by OP.

I have 2 40X rimfire custom rifles with PT&G bolts. The walnut for the stocks came from Roger Vardy in Australia. One has an 8 groove Shilen and the other has an 8 groove Bartlein with LH twist and gain twisted.

Custom Shop Barrel

When the Custom Shop rebarrelled my 22/250 in 2009, they advised that they were not making .204 and smaller barrels in the Custom Shop. As an alternative, they offered a Shilen. That is what it got. Perhaps they used different vendors at different times in addition to making their own in the CS.

Peter.

Trying to remember my barrel making history...didn't Mike Walker come up with the carbide button and the button rifling process and teach it to Clyde Hart?

I could swear I read that Remington made their own button rifled barrels for the 40X's, except, as noted, for using some Harts here and there.

Justin

Trying to remember my barrel making history...didn't Mike Walker come up with the carbide button and the button rifling process and teach it to Clyde Hart?

I could swear I read that Remington made their own button rifled barrels for the 40X's, except, as noted, for using some Harts here and there.

Justin

I think that you are right about this in the olden days.

Back